Generating machine translations in Trados Studio 2011
Thread poster: Scubabe
Aug 15, 2012

Hi,

I first want to say that I've just switched from Wordfast Anywhere and am starting to feel buyer's remorse. I realize that Trados Studio 2011 is much more powerful, but the learning curve is killing me.

So please be patient with me and if you can answer this question, I will be very grateful.

Before purchasing, I did a trial test - I translated a 15 pg image-heavy PDF. The formatting of the resulting Word doc. was a little wonky, but acceptable for the graphic designer to work with.

Here's my 1st question: When I did the test, I somehow got Trados to pre-translate everything, then I went into the pre-populated fields and corrected/tidied up as needed.

But now I can't remember how I did that.

Can anyone please help?

Right now all I'm getting are suggestions at the top of the screen from Google translate (I don't have a TM yet because I can't figure out how to create TMs from my existing Source PDFs and Target Word docs. I tried aligning the files but that was a disaster. These are 25 page-long texts and only 5-10% of the text was properly aligned by Trados. I can't spend half my day cleaning up mis-alignments just to build a TM.

Question 2: Speaking of TMs, how will I ever create one if all my source documents are in image-heavy PDFs and all my source documents are in Word?

I apologize if this conversation has already taken place. I've spent 3 days trying to upload a project of 31 image-heavy PDFs into Trados without any success. So, 3 days of not translating... just wasting time because I still haven't learned how to properly use Trados.

(please tell me it will get better!) lol

thanks,
Rhonda

Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:39
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
OCR might be a good solution for you Aug 15, 2012

Hi Rhonda,

First of all, my sympathies. I know it's not easy to get started with Studio. But it'll get better. Have a look at the presentations SDL has uploaded on Youtube or on the SDL website. They will help you finding your way around the (very complex) software.

About your questions:

You might like to have a look at an OCR program for converting your PDFs into workable DOCs. Trados is not per se made for PDF files as source documents. Search the forums here for suggestions on good OCR software. Luckily, I hardly ever work with PDF files, so I cannot advise you on good OCRing.

As to your TM question: First of all, you should create an empty TM. You can do this by going to Project Settings, Translation Memories, and clicking on Create (I assume that's what it's called. My interface is German, and here it's 'Anlegen'). After your TM is created, don't forget to tick the last control box in the Project Settings' TM view (all four should be ticked so that your TM gets populated with your work). Having a TM that gets updated with your translations is the core concept of Trados. You will get lots of benefits from a well-maintained TM as it grows and as you keep using it again and again.

Regarding your machine translation question: Have you set up an API account for Google Translate? It might be that you didn't need to do this for the trial version of Trados, but if you want to use the normal Studio 2011, you will have to pay (a comparatively low fee) for using Google Translate.

Or, another idea you can try: If you see the results in the upper part of your screen, you can insert them by pressing Ctrl + T. Does this work?

Good luck!

Stefanie

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:39
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try ABBYY Finereader Aug 16, 2012

Hi Rhonda,

I think all of Stefanie's suggestions are right on the money.

And yes, it will get better, but I understand your frustration, especially if you don't feel you're making much progress right now.

I can recommend ABBYY Finereader for an OCR solution, but please be aware that the OCR process itself will require a significant time investment to prepare the documents properly.

Whenever I get PDFs to translate, I make it a point to ask the client if they happen to have the original files that were used to create the PDF, and many times they actually do and can provide them, which is much more efficient than me trying to recreate the layout and design of the PDF.

As for your alignment problems, you're absolutely right, using PDFs for alignment purposes is far from ideal, as the text doesn't get segmented properly.

Regarding machine translation, if you are not ready to pay for Google Translate, you can always try SDL BeGlobal. To do this, with your source document open in the Editor view, go to Project Settings, then Translation Memory and Automated Translation, click Add on the right and choose SDLBeGlobal Community. At the same time I would recommend doing what Stefanie explained: create a TM and set it to be updated as you work, so that any segments you confirm, whether translated from scratch or edited from a machine translation segment, will be added to your TM.

Also, don't forget that Studio offers a set of Quick Start Guides, if you go to the one called Selecting Translation Resources, there is a section called Automated Translation Providers that I think you will find useful. To find the Quick Start Guides, go to Studio's Home view and you will find a link on the top left.

Good luck!

Scubabe
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Stefanie and Nora Aug 16, 2012

Hi,

Thanks to both of you. I've figured out the automated translation to some extent and have created a translation memory (at least I think so - I'll have to re-check that).

And I'm translating! Which is the important thing.

I'll ask my clients about Word documents but often the final proofread is done on the pdf files so Word documents may not be possible. But it's worth asking.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond; I appreciate it!

Rhonda

Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not necessarily Word Aug 16, 2012

If your PDF documents have a lot of layout/design on them, it's possible they were created using a DTP tool, such as InDesign or some other program. If that's the case, getting the original documents is always best. And of course, once you're done with the translation you can create PDFs for delivery.

Scubabe
TOPIC STARTER
Of course - InDesign! Aug 16, 2012

Hi Nora,

You're absolutely right. I don't know why I didn't think of that.

Does Trados Studio 2011 do a good job of translating directly from InDesign? How well does it handle the formatting?

As for aligning bilingual files for creating a translation memory, Trados Studio 2011 doesn't do a good job with PDF files, but how about InDesign files?

I'm glad you're taking the time to walk me through this!!! THANKS.

Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
INX or IMDL Aug 16, 2012

Studio 2011 doesn't handle InDesign (INDD) files directly, but all you have to do is export as one of the two file type definitions available for InDesign in Studio: INX for InDesign CS2-CS4 or IMDL for InDesign CS4-CS6.

In my experience, both work very well. All the layout is preserved, of course, and the source text is simply replaced by the target text. Some additional DTP work may be required if the target text is longer than the source.

I've worked on projects where the clients provided the INX and then handled all the additional DTP themselves, and others where I've been given the INDD and have done the whole process myself. There haven't been any major issues with either process.

If you get the INX or IMDL you don't need to have InDesign installed to work on the files in Studio.

I have never attempted to align an InDesign file, but I think this should work fine. At the very least, INX is listed under the file types available in WinAlign, whereas PDF isn't, so I think it's worth a try if you have the original InDesign files.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Generating machine translations in Trados Studio 2011

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search