Passolo: Trados export add-in
Thread poster: Carmen Álvarez

Carmen Álvarez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 15, 2012

Hello, I have been asked to work with Trados Workbench and I have been given a big passolo string list as reference.

In the passolo help, I can see that there is an Add-in called Trados Text Export that allows the exportation of those strings in a txt format that can be imported into my Trados memory.

However, when I search the Add-ins menu, is is not there.

In other words: In the help files there is a list of 8 export and import add-ins, being the Trados Text Export the one at the bottom of the list. However, in the real menu, I can only see two of them. The one I need is missing.

Do I have to download it from the web?

My version of Passolo is 8.0.05.

Thanks in advance.

Achim Herrmann
English to German
Which Edition are you using Aug 21, 2012

Hello Carmen,

I assume that you receive a translation bundle from your client and that you are working with the free Translator Edition of SDL Passolo.

Most of the export and export/import add-ins are not available in the free Translator Edition. There are 2 possible solutions.

a) Ask the client to export the reference list into a Trados text file or a TMX file using the fully licensed version of SDL Passolo. This is the recommended workflow.

b) If you don't want to go back to the client, connect the free Translator Edition using the Trados add-in to an empty TM that you have created with Trados or Trados Studio. Open the reference list(s), select all entries you want to store into the TM and select the function Store Translation from the String menu. Selecting Translation Add-In as the destination in the upcoming dialog will store the entries into your TM.

Hope this helps.

Achim Herrmann
SDL Passolo Business Consultant

Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados add-in in the free edition of Passolo? Aug 21, 2012

Hello Achim,

Thanks a lot. I guess option a) is easier but before I go back to the client, I would like to try first the option b).

However, I don't have a Trados add-in in Passolo, as I mentioned before. Do you mean an export/import add-in or another kind of add-in?

In Tools -> Add-ins, tab Export/Import, I only see the following add-ins:

Passolo glossary maker
STAR Termstar export

Thanks in advance.

Achim Herrmann
English to German
Other add-in type Aug 21, 2012

Hello Carmen,

The mentioned Trados add-in is not an export or export/import add-in. You can find it under the Translation tab of the add-in dialog, where all direct connections to other CAT tools are maintained.

Achim Herrmann
SDL Passolo Business Consultant

Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Something worng Aug 21, 2012

Thanks a lot, I have tried option b) and firstly I get a message saying that my 19726 strings have been sent to the translation add-in (empty TM, closed but activated in the add-ins dialog).

But when I check my TM, I get a list of error messages, namely:

Use options from project file.
ERROR - Unhandled Exception in Add-In. Component='DnTradosStudio.TranslationsComponent' Method='StoreTranslation' Message='Object reference not set to an instance of an object.'
Storing Text: The left camera is in the field of view of the right camera. Please readjust the camera positions.
Trados Add-In: Error during storing translation.
Description: Unknown Error.
Connection "Obeda Marzo" deactivated.
Trados Add-In: Cannot open the translation memory "D:\Arbeit\Obeda\07_Agosto2012\Proyecto 2\ATos agosto 2012.tmw".
Description: Unable to open translation memory, Incorrect target language
Connection "Atos Agosto" deactivated.
Trados Add-In: Cannot open the translation memory "D:\Arbeit\Obeda\07_Agosto2012\Proyecto 2\ATos agosto 2012.tmw".
Description: (31001): Could not obtain lock for D:\Arbeit\Obeda\07_Agosto2012\Proyecto 2\ATos agosto 2012.tmw
Storing Text: Local license
Description: (31001): Could not obtain lock for D:\Arbeit\Obeda\07_Agosto2012\Proyecto 2\ATos agosto 2012.tmw

I check the TM and the number of TU is 0, so the error is global for all strings.

Do you have any idea of what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Passolo: Trados export add-in

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search