Annett Hieber
Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:55
English to German
+ ...
Aug 16, 2012

Dear all,

I am supposed to do a larger translation. The agency is asking me to do it with Trados 2007. But I don't use that anymore, because I had real problems with it and don't like it. Currently, I prefer Trados Studio 2009 Freelance Plus.

I tried to create a new project, but when I wanted to add the file (xml.rtf) it doesn't work.

Can anybody tell me what's the problem here, probably?

Thank you very much!!!

Annett

MM^^
MM^^  Identity Verified
Chinese to French
+ ...
Copy and past into a word table Aug 16, 2012

Hello,

That file is a xml file converted into rtf format that on my owne experience Trados refuses to read.
You have to copy the contain of the rtf file in a word/OpenOffice file table or a new xml file.
It is possible that you just have to copy the contain from the rtf file into a word file and the table is automatically generated.

-_-

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:55
English to German
+ ...
sdl support Aug 16, 2012

Annett Hieber wrote:

Dear all,

I am supposed to do a larger translation. The agency is asking me to do it with Trados 2007. But I don't use that anymore, because I had real problems with it and don't like it. Currently, I prefer Trados Studio 2009 Freelance Plus.

I tried to create a new project, but when I wanted to add the file (xml.rtf) it doesn't work.

Can anybody tell me what's the problem here, probably?

Thank you very much!!!

Annett

Hi Annett,

Can you try to open it in Trados Studio 2007, save it as TTX file there and open that then in 2009?
If that fails, could you ask them to deliver the file to you in TTX format?
Not sure what the reason is for them to want you to do it in 2007.
But I'm also unsure why it wouldn't open in 2009.
I never worked with xml.rtf files. Can you save it as a Word file and try again?

Just a couple of thoughts. And it is 2012.

You might also contact one of the SDL representatives registered here on Proz.com.
I'll PM you one contact.

B

Annett Hieber
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Does not work :-( Aug 16, 2012

I just tried to copy the content into a Word-file, but that doesn't work either.

Thanks, anyway.
Annett

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:55
English to German
+ ...
.doc Aug 16, 2012

Annett Hieber wrote:

I just tried to copy the content into a Word-file, but that doesn't work either.

Thanks, anyway.
Annett

Try to change the extension to .doc or .docx (= rename it)

B

Annett Hieber
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ttx possible Aug 16, 2012

Hi Bernhard,

Thank you! I saved it in 2007 as ttx. That did the trick. But when I tried to open it in Studio 2009 I got an error message saying that there is a problem with the project languages???

No, I'm completely at a loss.

But I will ask SDL support as well the agency.

Thanks a lot for your help!
Annett

Enrico C - ECLC
Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 06:55
English to Italian
+ ...
That may not be file related Aug 17, 2012

Annett Hieber wrote:

Hi Bernhard,

Thank you! I saved it in 2007 as ttx. That did the trick. But when I tried to open it in Studio 2009 I got an error message saying that there is a problem with the project languages???

No, I'm completely at a loss.

But I will ask SDL support as well the agency.

Thanks a lot for your help!
Annett

Hi Annet,

I think that happens because the TM you have setup has a different language setup compared to that of the TTX you want to open (Example: TTX is in ITA-IT/ENG-UK while the TM is ITA-IT/ENG-US). Studio doesn't accept different variants of the same language as compatible and generates a message. If that is the problem there are various solutions, one of which could be: A) Export the TM associated to that file, B) Create a new TM with the language combination required by the TTX file and C) Import the previously exported TM file in the new TM. Finally, D) Try to open the TTX file associating it to the new TM with the new language combination.

Let me know.

[Edited at 2012-08-17 08:37 GMT]

Annett Hieber
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Language variants Aug 17, 2012

Hi Enrico,

Yes, you are right. The final problem was that the client/agency chose the language variant German (Switzerland) without any special reason for it - and nobody told me that......

Now, it works as TTX in Studio 2009.

Regards,
Annett

P Forgas
P Forgas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:55
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
isn't this a great group? Aug 17, 2012

a little brainstorming and Annett's problem is solved!

Cheers!

P.

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:55
English to Spanish
Language variants - An annoying problem Aug 17, 2012

Enrico C - ECLC wrote:
Studio doesn't accept different variants of the same language as compatible and generates a message.

Annett Hieber wrote:
...you are right. The final problem was that the client/agency chose the language variant German (Switzerland) without any special reason for it - and nobody told me that...

It is incredible the amount of problems those language variants continually cause to so many translators.

There has been a large amount of complaints over the years, but for some reason SDL has not addressed this annoying problem.

[Edited at 2012-08-17 20:29 GMT]

Enrico C - ECLC
Taiwan
English to Italian
+ ...
I agree Aug 17, 2012

Miguel Carmona wrote:

Enrico C - ECLC wrote:
Studio doesn't accept different variants of the same language as compatible and generates a message.

Annett Hieber wrote:
...you are right. The final problem was that the client/agency chose the language variant German (Switzerland) without any special reason for it - and nobody told me that...

It is incredible the amount of problems those language variants continually cause to so many translators.

There has been a large amount of complaints over the years, but for some reason SDL has not addressed this annoying problem.

[Edited at 2012-08-17 16:50 GMT]

Been sharing your same pain for a long time...and not only about this...issue.

Enrico C - ECLC
Taiwan
English to Italian
+ ...
It happens.. Aug 17, 2012

Annett Hieber wrote:

Hi Enrico,

Yes, you are right. The final problem was that the client/agency chose the language variant German (Switzerland) without any special reason for it - and nobody told me that......

Now, it works as TTX in Studio 2009.

Regards,
Annett

Hi Annet,

Glad is solved. There would have been other "geekier" solutions too but i didn't want to confuse you.

Have a nice day

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Urgent Question: "xml.rtf"-file???

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »