Help! Trados Studio 2009 is not doing anything it should :(
Thread poster: Emily Cox (medical and technical translator)

Emily Cox (medical and technical translator)
Germany
Local time: 10:06
German to English
Aug 16, 2012

Hi,

I'm new to Trados and still learning. Unfortunately it is not doing what it is supposed to. My main issue is;

I've created a project, added all appropriate TM's to it and opened a file - Trados is not pre-translating, which I expected. It should pre-translate based on the TM's added to the project, is that correct?

Right now I would just have to translate manually from scratch, which I don't want to do, as I have 5 TM's added, all of them related to the same topicicon_frown.gif

Any help will be most appreciated!

Regards,

Emily

Anna Sarah Krämer Fazendeiro
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Same topic - but are there identical phrases? Aug 16, 2012

Hi,

Are you sure that your TMs contain identical phrases ? If not, the TM can't pre-translate anything. In this case, you could check terms by searching the TM (mark the word and press F3). If there is a match, the TM should show it.

Hope that helps.

Regards
Anna

Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but .. Aug 16, 2012

Thanks, there are identical phrasesicon_frown.gif anyway thanks for the tip, but I cannot create termbases due to a limitation - it seems the terms' count is not enough to create a termbase, or the terms are not extracted during creation. Is there anything else I should check for?

Thanks,

Emily

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:06
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sorry if this is too obvious... Aug 16, 2012

Where did you add the TMs?

New users sometimes get confused about where to do this.

TMs should be added to a project via Project Settings and not just open in the Translation Memories view.

Did you add your TMs to your Project/File via Project Settings? And is the Enabled checkbox checked?

Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks again Aug 16, 2012

Thanks, it may not be too obvious, yet I've made it - added TM's to the project settings and enabled everything what was there...icon_frown.gif The programm did not even try to pre-translate, or do I imagine something completely different , when we talk about pre-translation?

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:06
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Did you run the pre-translate task? Aug 16, 2012

In the Files view, right-click on the file you want to pre-translate and choose Batch Tasks, then Pre-Translate files.

Also, if you run the Analyze Files task, what do you see in the report? Are there any 100% matches?

Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks but I'll switch to Wordfast anyway! Aug 16, 2012

Thanks to both of you, but Trados is a pain. The software is too heavy a load on PC, apart form a very unfriendly UI. I', testing Wordfast Pro now and it is a pleasure from the very beginning, alone the user interface. Trados developers could get a few GOOD software engineers on their team!

For my projects wherever Trados is not required, I'll rather use Wordfast tbh.

Cheers

Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
You've made my day... Aug 17, 2012

icon_wink.gif))))

A.

Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Aug 17, 2012

Thank you Andrzej, nice to hear thaticon_biggrin.gif And Trados spoiled my day yesterday!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help! Trados Studio 2009 is not doing anything it should :(

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search