Nika Plevnik  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Local time: 08:54
Member (2009)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Aug 16, 2012

Hey,
Recently I bought a new computer with a German keyboard. Not only there are German letters where there should be Slavic special characters, the keyboard is totally different from the layout I was used to. I used to have pipe and (at) marked, delete button positioned differently, but what I found really annoying is that the insert key (Einfg) is merged with the delete key (Entf). Now I do not know how to use keyboard shortcuts in Trados TagEditor.
I somehow managed to changed
... See more
Hey,
Recently I bought a new computer with a German keyboard. Not only there are German letters where there should be Slavic special characters, the keyboard is totally different from the layout I was used to. I used to have pipe and (at) marked, delete button positioned differently, but what I found really annoying is that the insert key (Einfg) is merged with the delete key (Entf). Now I do not know how to use keyboard shortcuts in Trados TagEditor.
I somehow managed to changed the macros in Word, so I chose different keys for the commands, but the problem is that these changes only apply to Word and WorkBench and not TagEditor. What I do not like is that the shortcut for the Set/Close next Open/Get command is "CTRL (Strg) + num +" and not "ALT+ num +" as it was before.
Since the "insert" is not a separate key, I cannot use the ALT+ins button to copy source into the target line and I have to use the icon in the toolbar to do the trick.
Is there any way to change the keyboard shortcuts or at least someone could share with me how to use the copy source with Delete/Insert key merged.
Thank you soooo much in advance for your kind help!

Best,
Nika
Collapse

Enrico C - ECLC
Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 14:54
English to Italian
+ ...
How to setup the keyboard Aug 17, 2012

Hi Nika,

If your problem is only to use your Slavonic layout on a German keyboard it's easy.

You can go to Control Panel - Region and Languages - Keyboard and Languages and then select all the layouts you want. You can setup a German + Slavonic + English one for example and add a language bar to your tray bar to select the layout you need anytime.

Here is als
... See more
Hi Nika,

If your problem is only to use your Slavonic layout on a German keyboard it's easy.

You can go to Control Panel - Region and Languages - Keyboard and Languages and then select all the layouts you want. You can setup a German + Slavonic + English one for example and add a language bar to your tray bar to select the layout you need anytime.

Here is also the procedure taken from Microsoft http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-vista/Add-an-input-language

And yet another with pics, that looks easier

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/86239-keyboard-layout-change.html

Hope this helps.

Enrico
Collapse

Nika Plevnik
Nika Plevnik  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Local time: 08:54
Member (2009)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I managed to figure it out, thanks! Quite simple, actually :-) Aug 18, 2012

Hi Enrico,
No, it was not it. The problem I actually have is that ASUS combines the Delete and Insert functions into one key. What I found out yesterday was that to use the Insert key you must hold down the fn key first.
So, to use SOURCE COPY in Trados TagEditor, one has to click FN+ALT+INS/DEL key.
So, the probem solved, I just have to practice a bit and I'll be fine.
Thanks so much for your help!
BR
Nika

[Edited at 2012-08-18 07:07 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Changing shortcut in TagEditor 2007 - problems with German keyboard

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »