Trados 2011 SP2 Crashing
Thread poster: mirekk

mirekk  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:52
English to Polish
+ ...
Aug 17, 2012

My Trados Studio 2011 SP2 is crashing, quite often, when I attempt to add a new term to my TB directly from the editor window. This also used to happen before I updated to SP2 (in both Studio 2011 and Studio 2009).
Is there a fix for that?

Direct link Reply with quote

Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
might be related to Java Aug 17, 2012

hi mirekk,
it could be due to the fact that you don't open Studio with the Java Runtime engine enabled.
go to Options, it is the last item of the list.

if I don't enable it when adding terms, I get an error message.
hope my hint works for you!

mirekk  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It works :) Aug 18, 2012

Thanks, works like a charm

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:52
Finnish to French
Why a setting for disabling start of JRE? Aug 18, 2012

Lorenzo Bermejo wrote:
it could be due to the fact that you don't open Studio with the Java Runtime engine enabled.

Just curious: why is there a setting that lets you disable starting of JRE if JRE is needed by Studio? The question is not directed to you, Lorenzo. I hope SDL can answer it!

Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
my findings Aug 18, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Lorenzo Bermejo wrote:

Just curious: why is there a setting that lets you disable starting of JRE if JRE is needed by Studio? The question is not directed to you, Lorenzo. I hope SDL can answer it!

hi Dominique. I can tell you some facts about this based on my usage.
on my old XP computer I have to enable the Java Runtime engine to add terms to a Termbase.
but... on my new Windows 7 laptop, I can add terms without any problems with Java disabled.

in fact, for security reasons, it is much better to have Java disabled (banking malaware, etc.). Studio 2011 SP2 continues to need Java 6 build 24, while the most recent update is Java 7 build 5, and it is very unsafe for your computer to use an outdated version of Java.

kind regards!

[Edited at 2012-08-18 14:17 GMT]

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:52
Finnish to French
Java versions Aug 18, 2012

Lorenzo Bermejo wrote:
on my old XP computer I have to enable the Java Runtime engine to add terms to a Termbase.
but... on my new Windows 7 laptop, I can add terms without any problems with Java disabled.

in fact, for security reasons, it is much better to have Java disabled (banking malaware, etc.). Studio 2011 SP2 continues to need Java 6 build 24, while the most recent update is Java 7 build 5, and it is very unsafe for your computer to use an outdated version of Java.

Yes, Studio 2011 installs Java 6 Update 24, but that doesn't mean it can't use a newer version if there's one. See this post of mine from last month. Since then, I have upgraded my Java 6 to Update 33 and Studio 2011 doesn't seem to have objected.

Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
you are right! Aug 18, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Lorenzo Bermejo wrote:

Yes, Studio 2011 installs Java 6 Update 24, but that doesn't mean it can't use a newer version if there's one. See this post of mine from last month. Since then, I have upgraded my Java 6 to Update 33 and Studio 2011 doesn't seem to have objected.

I'm using Java 7 update 5 with Studio 2011 SP2, without enabling the Java Runtime engine when the application starts, and adding terms works fine!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2011 SP2 Crashing

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search