Excel file error in Studio - message saying 'unable to open file - it may be password protected'
Thread poster: Clare Hearty

Clare Hearty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:35
Italian to English
+ ...
Aug 17, 2012

Hi everyone,

I'm using Studio 2011 and trying to open an Excel 97-2003 file and keep getting the above message. My system uses Excel 2010, I've read that Studio should automatically upgrade Excel files though.

I've read the section on embedded content in the help section but I'm not sure which tags I need to add or if there's a simpler way be able to open the file, can anyone help?

Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 03:35
German to Swedish
+ ...
Perhaps Aug 17, 2012

Perhaps it's password protected? Did you check?

United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have opened the file in Excel Aug 17, 2012

Hi, thanks for your reply. I don't think it is password protected as I have been able to open it fine in Excel and I am guessing I would have needed a password if it were password protected.

Jim Shanks
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
May still require password Aug 18, 2012

Not certain here, but it may be that the spreadsheet does not require a password for viewing (hence you can open it in Excel) but the cells may be password protected (or some of them) to prevent users changing them. Hence the inability of Studio to work with the file. Hope this helps

United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is there any way I can convert it so it's compatible with studio? Aug 18, 2012

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have taken the passwords off the file now (if there were any, still not sure but am guessing what you said is right!) using a how-to I found online, but Studio is still refusing to open the file so I think I'm going to have to do it in Excel. Luckily it's not a long document.

Unless there is any way I can convert it to make it work with Studio?

Thanks again.

Shankaran Viswanathan  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 07:05
French to English
+ ...
Try to work around the problem! Aug 19, 2012

While I have been fairly successful working Studio 2009, 2011 and SP2 for translating Word, PPT and even Indesign files, Excel files have always created problems. After a while, I have given up trying to solve these problems.

My reasoning: Excel is a very advanced software and stands apart from other MS software because of its complexity. It is also not very friendly to translators, quite normally so, because it is oriented to numbers and not text.

If there are problems with some Excel files, it is not the fault of Trados but the problem arises from Excel itself: there are simply too many interacting variables. So, there is no point complaining to Trados.

What I so some times, I save the file into different sub-files, perhaps each separate sheet, and process them in Trados. Of course, they have to be posted back into the main file for delivery to the customer. In spite of the hassle involved, this method does save time.

I am not really an advanced user of Trados or Excel. I feel it is always important to concentrate on the core aspects of our profession, that is, the translation part of it. The tools surrounding this métier are important but have only a secondary place.

Best wishes
Vishwa
Dehradun
India

Serge Mazille
Local time: 03:35
Workaround Aug 19, 2012

If the document is not long and there aren't any macros you could break, you can always open the file, select all (don't forget to check if there aren't multiple sheets), and copy/paste in a new Excel file.

I've done that several times (but once I forgot to check for macros and I had to manually copy/paste the translation in the original file at the end because I wasn't able to recreate those...)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excel file error in Studio - message saying 'unable to open file - it may be password protected'

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €495 / $595
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €495 / $595 / £425 / ¥70,000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search