Can't add another target language (local variation) to doc.
Thread poster: JudithPattinson

JudithPattinson  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 20:23
Member (2011)
German to English
Aug 19, 2012

I usually translate deDE to enUK. My current job is deDe to en-US.

In Trados Studio 2011 (service pack B) I would like to add en-UK to the project settings for the doc so I can use my en-UK TMs but the "add", delete etc buttons are all greyed out on that menu.

I tried "just in case" to add the TMs anyway, but Trados won't let me.

Might anyone have a suggestion about a possible solution, and the steps involved to achieve it? I would really appreciate it!

Cheers

Direct link Reply with quote

Linda Karssies  Identity Verified
Member (2010)
English to Dutch
+ ...
I am in the same position Aug 19, 2012

I am a new user of SDL Studio 2011 Freelance SP2, and translate into Dutch from UK, US and AUS EN, and have not found a way to combine the TM's from the local variations of English, apart from a new one under a different name - which is not very accurate.

Australia
Member (2011)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Fixed by setting up new project and importing doc Aug 19, 2012

Linda, I hope this solution (suggested by my Proz mentor!) will also help you:

"If you set up a new project with both languages, then you can just copy over your xliff file.
Alternatively, you could try exporting your tm to tmx, then reimporting into a us english tm."

(I had tried setting up a new project myself, but had omitted the useful(!) step of importing the document into it!)

Good luck with your language variations...

Australia
Member (2011)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
PS -- different fix using search and replace Aug 19, 2012

Was a bit optimistic thinking the above solution had worked -- it appeared to work when setting up the project, but then the language pair dilemma was unchanged.

Then tried export to tmx/import to new tm solution as outline above, but language pair dilemma also unchanged.

Then went into each tmx in MSWord and searched and replaced offending language variant label (I searched for GB" or AU" and replaced with US" and that finally worked...

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 07:23
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I wish there was a feature to use different locales Aug 20, 2012

The same happens into Spanish, and really annoys me that I'm not able to use the same traslation memories for related projects targeted to different Spanish spealing countries.

I translate for the oil industry, for countries such as Ecuador, Mexico, Venezuela, Argentina and Ecuatorial Guinea. While I do now the subtle differences in some part and equipment names, I wish I could use the same translation memories, but Studio does not allow me to do so (I have found a solution for that: I export the translation memory to tmx, open it with notepad and change manually the target locale, and reimport the TM into a band new translaion memory for Studio. But it is an exhausting procedure to do that each time I have a translation project.

A SDL representative told me once that they cannot do anything to this respect as this is due to a limitation of Windows... (I'm not using his exact words, but the idea is the same).

Regards

Clarisa

Filipa Plant dos Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:23
Member (2011)
Portuguese to English
I also wondered about this! Aug 20, 2012

I'm glad this has been brought up. I also (like most translators I suspect) have language variables to deal with. I have Portuguese from Brazil and Portugal and English from the US or the Uk. This is really annoying as it makes it impossible to have, for example, just one legal TM which I would use for all legal translations. No, I would need four legal TMs to cover all my variants (PT-PT to EN-UK, PT-PT to EN-US, PT-BR to EN-UK and PT-BR to EN-US). As I work 100% with agencies, I cannot set the languages for myself as these come pre-set with the work and the agency's own TM.

I understand the need for this in order to enable spellcheck to work (can't see any other need for language variant specification otherwise), but it is still extremely annoying.

I have managed to avoid this on my termbases, by not choosing a language variant, as this was given as an option on Studio 2011, which is the program that I use.

Have I misunderstood - am I doing it all wrong? If so, please someone, give me a few pointers!!!

Decipherit  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Anyone found a workaround? Nov 14, 2012

Ditto. I find the language variants very restrictive indeed. This wasn't an issue in old Workbench days. Anyone know a way round this issue? In my case it's not another target language I want to add but another source. I want my PT BR TMs to work for PT PT files as well.

George Cook
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
You could use fields Nov 15, 2012

We have had this problem for a long time. We operate a separate TM for each client, but of course even though a client may normally require, say, German into US English, every now and again they will ask for GB English.

The only way we have found of circumventing this problem so that we don't have to effectively create a duplicate TM is to add a field to the TM so that segments can be marked as US English or GB English. That way, when we receive a text that is to be translated into GB English, we still set up the project as US English and use our one and only US English TM, but set the field value to GB English. Next time we get a GB English job, we can set a penalty of, say, 2% on US English segments, so that GB ones will be given priority.

It's not a perfect solution, as it could theoretically lead to a lot of duplicate segments in the TM, but as long as we keep on top of the duplicates situation, it actually works very well.

That said, I really don't see why there can't be an option to disable regional variants, as it is extremely irritating!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't add another target language (local variation) to doc.

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search