Suzanne Smart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:33
Italian to English
+ ...
Aug 19, 2012

Hello,
Please can somebody help?!
I've been working on a package (containing 2 files for translation and a memory) that my client sent to me in Studio 2011. Everything was ok until last night when Studio suddenly crashed. When I tried to reopen my work the file I had been translating was blank and there was nothing in the memory. I still can't get my work back this morning.
I think the problem may be that when I tried to open it up again the package was reimported so that it reverted to what the client had sent me. Is there any way to recover my work?
I've spent a week on this job and my client wants it for tomorrow morning. It's Sunday and I'm a full-time mum, I really don't have time to start again today!! Please help!

pjg111  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:33
Member (2010)
English to French
Any back-ups of your work? Aug 19, 2012

Hi Suzanne,

I'm in full sympathy with you.

However you mention you'd been working on that translation during a week. Don't you have any regular backups of your work and data you might restore?

Cheers.

Patrick

United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nup, all gone. Aug 19, 2012

Hi Patrick. Thanks for replying. I did have a backup file but that seems to be blank as well. I have no idea how this has happened. Anyway, I can't find a way to restore it and I can't afford to waste any more time so I have started again now. I don't have any other choice it seems.

Member (2010)
English to French
My advice: Backup, backup, and backup! Aug 19, 2012

Hi Suzanne,

Sorry to hear that.

If I may give a piece of advice, I never close a work session until I have safely backed it up. Better spending 5 minutes that loosing all my work! That means I backup my work (and my e-mails too) more than once per day!

Bon courage!

Patrick

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Reopening work Aug 19, 2012

You haven't said what you did to "reopen" your work.

I suggest you go to the projects view of Studio and see if the project is there. If it is, it should be simple enough to double click, go to files (target language) and reopen the sdlxliff there.

If the project isn't in the list, then go to the place you saved the project on your machine (using Win Explorer) and double click the project file (blue icon). Don't open the package file (.sdlppx) again, because you will start from scratch.

And advice for the future: as you translate, make sure you confirm each segment (ctrl+enter) so that it is sent to your TM. That way, if Studio crashes, you simply have to pretranslate your source file with your TM.
And, save your translation even before you start it! Click Ctrl+S as soon as you open the Editor window, because that will save the project details and they will be available in the Project window if Studio crashes.

HTH,
Emma

[Edited at 2012-08-19 13:26 GMT]

United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yep, did all of that. Aug 19, 2012

Thanks Emma. I did do everything you said. I think the problem was that the package reimported (maybe I reopened the package instead of the file). Anyway, I started again and am getting on ok.

Member (2010)
English to French
Keep us posted! Aug 19, 2012

Suzanne Smart wrote:

Thanks Emma. I did do everything you said. I think the problem was that the package reimported (maybe I reopened the package instead of the file). Anyway, I started again and am getting on ok.

Hi Suzanne, Emma's advice was sound and useful. It's a pity it did not work for you. Just plse let us know of the outcome if you are able to catch up. And plse be sure to regularly backup your work!

Again, bon courage!

Patrick

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:33
English to Dutch
+ ...
The segments must be stored somewhere.. Aug 19, 2012

..especially if you confirmed every segment that you finished. I'm thinking that the project file with the information on the project and the local addresses of the data is shot, but the original files of that project are still there.

Studio creates a copy of the TM you assign to the project and calls it "project TM", adding it to the project data, for example. That should still be there somewhere. Have you searched the folder Users/[User Name]/Studio 2011/Projects/[Project Name] for the project you are/were working on? Look for the files with the date and time before the project crashed. If you find the "old" project TM, you can add it to the current project and use it to fill in the segments.

Good luck!

PS: the backup advice is good, but mighty annoying when you've just lost your work. Besides, Studio backs up for you, as it should, in the project TM. It's just a matter of finding it again.

Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Italian to English
I would think reopening the package would create Aug 19, 2012

a new folder. usually when you open a package it creates a folder with all the subfolders and project info. Go to open project and see if maybe you now have 2 different projects. It might not be where you think so check around, or it might have a name with (1) after it. I really don't think it would overwrite the other. Your original work is probably in there somewhere.
Eileen

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I'd investigate Aug 19, 2012

Suzanne Smart wrote:

Hi Patrick. Thanks for replying. I did have a backup file but that seems to be blank as well. I have no idea how this has happened. Anyway, I can't find a way to restore it and I can't afford to waste any more time so I have started again now. I don't have any other choice it seems.

If this backup was at a different location than the original project, then there is no feasible way in which it could have been overwritten or erased. If I were you, I'd look into it more. As I don't know anything about projects in Studio, I can't help you with that... but if you just find the sdlxliff file, you can probably copy it to a different folder and open it in Studio if all else fails.

Member (2010)
English to French
A freeware that instant finds everything on your hdd Aug 19, 2012

Hi Suzanne, hi everybody,

This has not directly to do with the current thread but it may be useful even for Suzanne at her current stage.

To instant find any file and/or folder on your hard disk drive(s), you can use the flwg freeware available at http://www.voidtools.com/

HTH.

Patrick

Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 06:33
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
Files must be there. If not files the TM Aug 20, 2012

Suzanne Smart wrote:

Hello,
Please can somebody help?!
I've been working on a package (containing 2 files for translation and a memory) that my client sent to me in Studio 2011. Everything was ok until last night when Studio suddenly crashed. When I tried to reopen my work the file I had been translating was blank and there was nothing in the memory. I still can't get my work back this morning.
I think the problem may be that when I tried to open it up again the package was reimported so that it reverted to what the client had sent me. Is there any way to recover my work?
I've spent a week on this job and my client wants it for tomorrow morning. It's Sunday and I'm a full-time mum, I really don't have time to start again today!! Please help!

Hi Suzanne,

Provided this never happened to me, i am pretty sure that if you translated (and if segments went into the TM and you saved files occasionally etc.), the stuff is still there. Maybe files were not in the folder you had chosen or maybe the TM is not where you expect it to be. The TM is important because even if you lose the files, using the TM you can retranslate them in minutes with the Pretranslate function. So try to go into DOCUMENTS-SDL TRADOS STUDIO-TRANSLATION MEMORIES and if there is a TM there.
Also, try to search for your project. Perhaps you created an IN PROJECT memory which can be reused for retranslating. Did you create a TM for your job? What was the name you gave to it? Search for that. It's more important than the files. If you find the TM you will solve the issue.

United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 21, 2012

Hi everyone,
Thank you all so much for your advice. This is still a total mystery to me. I tried everything that you all suggested but no matter which files or TMs I opened, everything was blank. I fully agree that the work must be there somewhere but I just couldn't find it.
I re-did the translation from scratch which, thankfully, didn't take too long as I'd already done all of the terminology research and could more or less remember how I'd translated the segments. Annoying but not the end of the world and it's all done now.
Perhaps I need to take a look at that freeware that Patrick suggested. It's the only thing I haven't tried.

Member (2010)
English to French
Thanks for the news Aug 21, 2012

Hi Suzanne,

Thank you so much for letting us know.
Glad you have been able to catch up and serve your client.

Cheers.

Patrick

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 lost work

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search