How to prevent Studio from replacing colons with spaces ?
Thread poster: Sylvain Leray

Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:14
Member (2003)
German to French
Aug 21, 2012

SDL Trados Studio 2011 SP1 - 10.1.2880.3

Language pair is DE-FR.
My file contains many segments with only product references like 890.421.835.

Studio always replaces the dots with non-breakable spaces (890 421 835), so I have to go through the whole document and change it back manually. How to prevent that?
I went through the different options of the project parameters but could not find anything.

Many thanks in advance for any hint!
Sylvain

[Modifié le 2012-08-21 13:46 GMT]

Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Auto substitution settings? Aug 21, 2012

Hi Sylvain,

Try Project settings -> Your language pair -> Auto substitution and untick the checkbox next to numbers. This should prevent Studio from substituting the periods in your numbers with spaces.

I hope it works.

Stefanie

PS: I just came across this thread with a similar problem. Maybe you will find it useful: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/226921-auto_substitution_of_numbers_in_studio_2011_not_working.html

[Edited at 2012-08-21 14:56 GMT]

Member (2003)
German to French
TOPIC STARTER
Even worse Aug 21, 2012

Hi Stefanie,

I had tried it in the meantime and it is even worse : those segments are now automatically translated (AT) and still have those spaces between the numbers...
I really thought that would be the solution too, but I must have missed something.
I tried to change some other options in auto-substitution but none of them has the expected results...

Thank you!
Sylvain

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Best solution is to probably to use the display filter... Aug 21, 2012

... to display only the segments with these numbers in it, then copy source to target for them all and lock them - if they are on their own which it sounds like.

If they are all the same pattern you can use regex to find them easily... maybe something like this:

^\d{3}\.\d{3}\.\d{3}

So you enter this into the display filter and all the segments containing only these codes in the format xxx.xxx.xxx (where x is a number) will be displayed.

If you do this first and then translate the file these segments will be safely locked away out of harms reach.

Regards

Paul

Member (2003)
German to French
TOPIC STARTER
Nothing displays Aug 22, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

... to display only the segments with these numbers in it, then copy source to target for them all and lock them - if they are on their own which it sounds like.

If they are all the same pattern you can use regex to find them easily... maybe something like this:

^\d{3}\.\d{3}\.\d{3}

So you enter this into the display filter and all the segments containing only these codes in the format xxx.xxx.xxx (where x is a number) will be displayed.

If you do this first and then translate the file these segments will be safely locked away out of harms reach.

Regards

Paul

Many thanks, Paul!

I perfectly understand and it seems to be THE solution, but nothing displays when I apply this filter, although those segments really have this very pattern you describe.

I don't know what "regex" is, I must confess, so maybe I am missing something with this code (I simply tried to copy/paste it in the filter field).

Many thanks in advance for your help,
Sylvain

PS

Oh, it worked as I chose "Apply on target" but not "Apply on source"... seems to be OK so, thank you very much!

And thanks again Stefanie for your added link!

[Modifié le 2012-08-22 10:15 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Regex Aug 22, 2012

Hi Sylvain,

Regex is shorthand for Regular Expressions and this is just a way of writing a search expression that can use special characters to represent a pattern. So this:

^\d{3}\.\d{3}\.\d{3}

Simply means this:

^ - start at the beginning of the segment and look for this pattern there

\d - this is shorthand for numbers, 0-9
{3} - this means look for a pattern with three numbers
\. - the slash is an escape character to allow you to search for a dot. A dot otherwise means search for anything.

So I created a quick test document and pasted the code in here like this:

Then I apply the seach making sure I'm searching in the source as this is where the product codes are for me:

Then after clicking on the search I see this:

Now I can copy them over and lock them.

Perhaps it would be helpful to see the example text you are searching for just in case there is something different that causes the search to fail?

Regards

Paul

Member (2003)
German to French
TOPIC STARTER
It works now Aug 22, 2012

Many thanks for taking your time and explainig it all so precisely, Paul.

It now works like a charm - I don't know why the first tries did not.

It looks exactly like in your pictures, so you were very right.

Many thanks again for your help and kind regards,
Sylvain

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to prevent Studio from replacing colons with spaces ?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search