Please help! New to Trados + New to Indesign = Nightmare.
Thread poster: Scubabe
Aug 21, 2012

Hi,

I'm just starting a large translation project for which I've purchased Trados Studio 2011. My client have provided me with Indesign CS6 files.

I converted them to IDML files, translated the entire chapter, opened the target translation in Indesign... and nothing is where it should be.

I guess there were missing links in the Source document, but since I know nothing about InDesign, I didn't know if/how that would affect the outcome (I realize how stupid
... See more
Hi,

I'm just starting a large translation project for which I've purchased Trados Studio 2011. My client have provided me with Indesign CS6 files.

I converted them to IDML files, translated the entire chapter, opened the target translation in Indesign... and nothing is where it should be.

I guess there were missing links in the Source document, but since I know nothing about InDesign, I didn't know if/how that would affect the outcome (I realize how stupid that sounds now...).

So here I am with a image and layout-heavy Indesign document (all these layers, textboxes etc) and I don't know how to manipulate any of it to correct it.

What I'd like to do at this point is just select all the text, dump it in Word and try to clean it up there.

But I don't know to select the text? Select all doesn't seem to be working for me.

Please please please can anyone help? And please explain it like you would to a 5-year-old!

Or can I somehow select all my translated segments from Trados and dump them into a Word document?
At this point I'm getting pretty desperate.

Thanks,
Rhonda
Collapse

Serge Mazille
Serge Mazille
Local time: 09:30
sorry Aug 21, 2012

Sorry Scubabe but I don't think you can tweak it in word... You wouldn't have a chance to reinsert your translation in Indesign afterward (without spending hours and hours)...

Maybe you should ask your client if she has a DTP service?

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 09:30
German to Swedish
+ ...
No Aug 21, 2012

What do you expect to happen in a multi-box text flow in a page layout application when the target text has a different length from the source text? *Of course* you need to manually adjust every paragraph.

As far as Indesign goes, you can't process an Indesign text flow with cut'n'paste and expect it to come out right when you paste from another application. Just think of text-anchored images, for instance.

I'm afraid you're in over your head here. The only solution is
... See more
What do you expect to happen in a multi-box text flow in a page layout application when the target text has a different length from the source text? *Of course* you need to manually adjust every paragraph.

As far as Indesign goes, you can't process an Indesign text flow with cut'n'paste and expect it to come out right when you paste from another application. Just think of text-anchored images, for instance.

I'm afraid you're in over your head here. The only solution is to actually learn Indesign.

PS: One bad text flow break can mess up a whole document. I suggest you start at page 1 and check the text flow of every box, and take it from there. And if you don't understand what I'm saying, consider giving the job back.

[Bearbeitet am 2012-08-21 20:45 GMT]
Collapse

Scubabe
Scubabe
TOPIC STARTER
I'll certainly do that - learn InDesign that is Aug 21, 2012

I dont' need to translate with InDesign for this project though; I just thought it might be helpful (and no quite so complicated).

In the meantime, I may need to hire the services of someone who knows InDesign to help me on this particular project.

I'm sure I can find some InDesign tutorials on Youtube...

Rhonda

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:30
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Indesign for translators Aug 22, 2012

Indesign for translators, a step by step guide, not really updated and done by Chris Phillips, and very useful indeed:
http://www.indesign4translators.com/

It might contain useful tips for preparing your indesign files.

Also, I've found at Internet the following article: "8 Steps to Optimize InDesign files for translation".

Regards

Clarisa... See more
Indesign for translators, a step by step guide, not really updated and done by Chris Phillips, and very useful indeed:
http://www.indesign4translators.com/

It might contain useful tips for preparing your indesign files.

Also, I've found at Internet the following article: "8 Steps to Optimize InDesign files for translation".

Regards

Clarisa

[Edited at 2012-08-22 05:01 GMT]
Collapse

Scubabe
Scubabe
TOPIC STARTER
Clarisa - thank you! Aug 22, 2012

Hi Clarisa,

Thank you so much - I really appreciate your helpful comments!

Rhonda

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please help! New to Trados + New to Indesign = Nightmare.

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »