Thread poster: corinne durand
corinne durand
corinne durand  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:15
English to French
+ ...
Aug 21, 2012

Hello,

Sorry if this sounds basic, but I cannot find the answer in the quick start guide for Studio 2011 and do not have time to look into more training material.

I hope some of you will be able to point me in the right direction...

I need to review and edit numerous files, Word documents, that various other people have translated.

I have all the source and targets files, and have upgraded to Studio 2011 in the hope it would make my job easier
... See more
Hello,

Sorry if this sounds basic, but I cannot find the answer in the quick start guide for Studio 2011 and do not have time to look into more training material.

I hope some of you will be able to point me in the right direction...

I need to review and edit numerous files, Word documents, that various other people have translated.

I have all the source and targets files, and have upgraded to Studio 2011 in the hope it would make my job easier for this project, however, I am struggling to set up the project properly to be able to carry out the review.

I have attempted to start by creating a project and including the source files as translatable and the target files as reference (not sure if that was the best way to do it...). I then carried out a Batch task only analysing them (as the TM is not populated with the translation, I didn't see the point in pretranslating etc).

All files appear in the Project view. When I right click on a file and click on "open file for review" it appears on the source side.

How to I get the target file to appear into the right side/target screen?

Do I need to start from scratch, go back and align all the files (many) in WinAlign 07 and start again in Studio once the TM has been populated to automatically translate all the files, or, hopefully, is there another quicker, easier way to use Studio to get source and target to appear on the Editor screen ? Or can I just copy and paste the text from Word into the target ?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation!
Corinne
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 19:15
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Are bilingual files available? Aug 21, 2012

Hi Corinne,

Do I understand correctly that you don't have the bilingual files but only source/target files separately?

In this case you should either align them yourself (which is rather unpleasant and tedious if you have a large number of files) or request bilingual files from the translators.

Natalia

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:15
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Have you been requested to use Studio 2011? Aug 22, 2012

To proofread a translation project using Studio, your client should send you the bilingual files duly prepared for Studio.
I you don't have much experience using Studio I would not recommend you to prepare the monolingual files (source and target) to create an alignment project, that you will need to use to populate a translation memory... I believe that is too much work, compared with the simple procedure of reviewing both source and target files in paralel.

Regards
... See more
To proofread a translation project using Studio, your client should send you the bilingual files duly prepared for Studio.
I you don't have much experience using Studio I would not recommend you to prepare the monolingual files (source and target) to create an alignment project, that you will need to use to populate a translation memory... I believe that is too much work, compared with the simple procedure of reviewing both source and target files in paralel.

Regards

Clarisa
Collapse

corinne durand
corinne durand  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:15
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, I don't have the bilingual files Aug 22, 2012

Hi Clarisa, Natalie,

No, I don't have the bilingual files, it is actually a volunteering job so there is no available PM I can ask for some bilingual prepared files.

I thought there may be a way to insert a source and a target file in Studio and have them appear as such in Editor view... I do not have time to align so I guess I may have to revert to using Word, which is a pity as I upgraded to Studio 2011 believing it was a useful tool to review files... it sounds like
... See more
Hi Clarisa, Natalie,

No, I don't have the bilingual files, it is actually a volunteering job so there is no available PM I can ask for some bilingual prepared files.

I thought there may be a way to insert a source and a target file in Studio and have them appear as such in Editor view... I do not have time to align so I guess I may have to revert to using Word, which is a pity as I upgraded to Studio 2011 believing it was a useful tool to review files... it sounds like it may not be very friendly or useful at all after all, if you can't use and review a source and target file without longer prep work than it would take you to do the work itself.

Thank you both for your input!

[Edited at 2012-08-22 08:43 GMT]
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 19:15
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
In this case... Aug 22, 2012

... there is really no other option besides working directly in Word.

In the future just request uncleaned files from the translators: this will save you lots of time and efforts.

Natalia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to prepare/review externally provided documents in Studio 2011

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »