Thread poster: Yael Treidel
Yael Treidel  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 10:00
Hebrew to English
+ ...
Aug 26, 2012

Hello,
I am trying to finalize tranlsation of Word file with Studio 2009, and it gives me the message:
"An error occurred while converting fields back to Microsoft Word format: Possible field(s) deletion."
This question appeared here before and the suggestion was to run F8 and verification. I've done both, and there are no errors or warnings. I am stuck!
Can anybody please help me?

And pelase write back in English (my page turned into German for some reason but I don't understand German).

Many thanks!!!
Yael

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 09:00
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Off: Aug 26, 2012

The language can be changed in the right lower corner of the page.

Natalia

[Edited at 2012-08-26 15:08 GMT]

Israel
Hebrew to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks!!! Aug 26, 2012

It miraculously changed back by itself... But good to know for the next time it happens.

Many thanks,
Yael

Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
This happens Aug 26, 2012

when you follow localized ProZ.com pages, for example, ger.proz.com, instead of www.proz.com, etc.

Israel
Hebrew to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Aug 26, 2012

Do you happen to also know anything about the Studio 2009 issue?

Thanks!
Yael

Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
No, sorry Aug 26, 2012

I don't know anything about this error, sorry, Yael.

Are there any fields in your document like references, links etc? My best guess is that the error is related to something like that. Haven't you tried to click on the error for more info?

Israel
Hebrew to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
.. Aug 26, 2012

I clicked on everything I could think of, tried the F8 function, tried the "verify" command... nothing. All these functions claimed that everything is swell... So, I ended up saving the original Word file as a new file in a new folder, translating it again using the same TM (so it took no time), and for some unexplained reason it worked. So I am good, job was sent in time.
Thanks for the suggestions.
If anyone gets here and ran into this kind of problem before, and found a more elegant solution than mine, I'll be happy to hear...

Good night...

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
A possible cause Aug 27, 2012

After completing a translation the client asked me to translate the title page of the document too (title of document, author, organization etc. in textboxes). So I went back to Studio 2009/Editor view and at Tools/Options/Microsoft Word/Other settings checked the ’Extract document properties for translation’ checkbox (it was not checked during the first stage of translation that is why those textboxes were not displayed earlier as source text to translate).

After completing the translation of these textboxes I was not able to save the translation in Word and got the same error message.

I had to realize that saving the target text in Word was not possible as long as that checkbox was checked (and the textboxes translated).

I think that document properties were somehow protected against overwriting (translating) that is why Word refused to save the document as target.

Israel
Hebrew to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So in the end, Aug 27, 2012

when you unchecked it again, did it let you create a target Word file which includes the translated title page?

"I think that document properties were somehow protected against overwriting (translating) that is why Word refused to save the document as target."

I sometimes think that there are so many levels to all these software that I'll never be able to really get it and bound to stumble once in a while and spend a whole day on a job that should have taken me only 3-4 hours...

In any case, thanks, its good to know about the ’Extract document properties for translation’, I wasn't aware of it…

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
My workaround Aug 27, 2012

Realizing that I can not save the target if those textboxes ("document properties") are translated, I left them in English, saved the translation as target, then manually deleted and recreated the involved textboxes with the target text in Word. This worked.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Can I see such a file? Aug 29, 2012

István Hirsch wrote:

I think that document properties were somehow protected against overwriting (translating) that is why Word refused to save the document as target.

Hello István,

Can I see an example of such a file? We do have an option to translate document properties (and the option works correctly as far as I am aware) but if the file cannot be saved as target with this option enabled then we would need to log this as a bug to be fixed.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

András Szabados  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2009)
Hungarian to English
+ ...
Cause: page number (in my case, at least) Oct 17, 2013

I just had the same problem.

As it turned out, the cause was one specific TU containing page number fields. This was previously locked and the target segment was empty. I copied it into the target segment, and managed to eliminate the issue.

Worder Company
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:00
Russian to English
+ ...
add tags Sep 10, 2014

I have just recently found out that if you open the 2003 word file in trados and then try to export into word, trados would ok the export with no need to place tags. (If you open other word formats, then you will have to add tags in order to export into word).

However, from time to time I find this issues of "missing fields". I guess it is just a way for trados to make you value your discovery of the word 2003 benefit, so that you don't forget to try and find some new approaches to the old issues

I have placed the tags across the file and its exported OK.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009: "Possible field(s) deletion" error

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search