Studio 2009 failure to save to word: 'w' is an undeclared namespace
Thread poster: MyrdahlAcademic

MyrdahlAcademic
Canada
Local time: 11:47
Norwegian to English
Aug 29, 2012

Hello,
in recent months I have been increasingly unable to save files (source and target) to word. The error messages have changed a bit but recently state "'w' is an undeclared namespace. Line 1, position 2." My client has not reported any problems with opening the return packages, but my not being able to see the document in word does of course make checking the document less efficient.
The client uses Studio 2011, while I have Studio 2009 (fully updated).
Any ideas? Help much appreciated!
Thanks,
Eileen


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Alberto Montpellier  Identity Verified
Cuba
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Re-install or upgrade Aug 30, 2012

It may be due to backwards compability issues from 2011 to 2009. You may ask your client to send you one of the native files he sends in his project and try yourself to create a new project from that file and see what happens.
Another thing may be to uninstall Studio (using a specialized software for such purpose (e.g. RevoUnistaller, etc.) and installing it again. You may save your profile so that you don't lose the paths to your recent projects and all.

It may seem a rather radical solution, but sometimes Studio acts weird if a single install file is damaged. It has happened to me before.

Hope it helps


Direct link Reply with quote
 

MyrdahlAcademic
Canada
Local time: 11:47
Norwegian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 31, 2012

Thanks so much for this Alberto. I suspect you're right about it being a compatibility issue, as I can indeed create my own projects with no problem. Will report back if I find an alternative solution.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Lynn Webb  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:47
Member (2009)
German to English
Files refer to customer harddrive and not your drive Sep 25, 2012

I think the problem is that when you receive a package from a customer, the package usually refers to the harddrive on which the package was created. This means that Trados is trying to reference files from the original harddrive, which obviously you don't have.

I had the same problem and noticed that if I created the package myself, the first line in the file when open in Trados showed my C: drive instead of the customer's (W:) drive. I was able to export the files successfully this way. Your customer should have no problem exporting the SDL files when you send them back because they were created on the customer's drive. Hope this helps!

Incidentally, changing the path in the SDLXLIFF files using a text editor did not make a difference. I suspect other files in the package also contain the original path information.

[Edited at 2012-09-25 17:19 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

MyrdahlAcademic
Canada
Local time: 11:47
Norwegian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Upgrading solved the issue Oct 17, 2012

Thanks Lynn, that explanation makes sense, and indeed my customer did not have a problem.
I gave up finding a way around this problem, and ended up upgrading to 2011. This solved the issue.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Roland Galibert  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:47
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Alternate solution for similar error message Feb 26, 2013

Though it looks like this problem has been resolved (and my particular issue was also slightly different) I thought I'd post my own solution here in case someone with my specific issue comes across this post, as I did.

I have Studio 2011 and I received a "'ve' is an undeclared namespace" error when trying to update/save my target files. My solution was to re-save the original file as a Word 2010 file. The original file appeared to be a Word 2010 document and I could open it successfully with that application, but when I right-clicked on the original file in Windows Explorer and selected "Properties" I saw it was originally created in Word Macintosh.

The "Properties" screen also showed another possible, though less likely cause of the error; the original file was "Blocked" and the Properties screen gave me the option to unblock it.

Again, it doesn't look like my issue is exactly similar to the original post or any subsequent posts but I thought I'd post it here in case someone with my problem comes across this post.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Alexandre Tissot  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:47
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
I have the same issue with Trados Studio 2009 Apr 2, 2014

Good afternoon,

I have the same issue with this failure on Trados Studio 2009 in a Word file and the source file was clean, so I am looking for a solution to solve this issue with Trados Studio 2009.

Above all, the situation is urgent.

Any idea?

Thank you very much.


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 failure to save to word: 'w' is an undeclared namespace

Advanced search







memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search