Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Algeria
Local time: 08:25
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
Aug 30, 2012

Hello,

I am doing a translation with SDL Trados 2009 and I have many segments where only the product name changes.

Which mean that in the whole sentence I can only have PRODUCTXXX change to PRODUCTYYY is there a way to make Trados change this automatically without my intervention ?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Kind regards,

Mohamed MEHENOUN

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Use Variables Aug 30, 2012

Hi Mohamed,

If you create a variable list with the product names then Studio can use them accordingly. You do this

Then when I open a file and translate a segment as you described, the rest of the file will propagate as below:

So there will only be one entry in the TM, as the variable will be a placeholder for anything in the list.

Regards

Paul

Algeria
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks - Copy a list ? Aug 30, 2012

Dear Paul,

Many thanks for the clarification.

Is there a way to copy a list directly and not to enter the variables one by one ?

Kind regards,

United Kingdom
English
Unfortunately no... Aug 30, 2012

Hi,

This is possible with GroupShare, so if you have a server set up you can do this. But not on the desktop. It is on the product backlog to make possible for a future release.

Regards

Paul

Algeria
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks ! Aug 30, 2012

Hello,

Thanks for your support.

Kind regards,

Mohamed

Tntranslations
Local time: 09:25
TermInjector 2.0 is a more versatile alternative Aug 31, 2012

You can use TermInjector 2.0 for these kinds of replacements. It's more versatile than variables as it allows you to specify a certain pattern that will be replaced instead of just a fixed name. Here's a fictional example:

TermInjector copies the product code part, which varies from product to product. If this was done with variables, all the product codes for the client would have to be entered into the variable list. With TermInjector you can specify the pattern of product codes by using a regular expression rule. For instance, the above replacement is performed with this rule:

1. Expression to find in source: Acme ([0-9]+[A-Z]+).
2. Expression to use in target: Acme \1
3. Expression to replace in fuzzy match: Acme [0-9]+[A-Z]+

TermInjector rules are text files, so they can be easily shared and processed.

You can download TermInjector from SDL Open Exchange.

Algeria
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks ! Aug 31, 2012

Thanks TnTranslations !

United Kingdom
English
Terminjector Sep 1, 2012

Thanks Tommi,

I hadn't tried the updated version yet. I did yesterday and it's pretty good. If anyone is interested I did a couple of tests on the regex part of this app and posted it here;

http://multifarious.filkin.com/2012/08/31/terminjector/

A very good application for working around long lists of variables or just manipulating the results before you apply them to your target segment.

Regards

Paul

United Kingdom
English
An update workaround Oct 1, 2012

Mohamed Mehenoun wrote:

Dear Paul,

Many thanks for the clarification.

Is there a way to copy a list directly and not to enter the variables one by one ?

Kind regards,

Hi Mohamed,

I wrote an article today as I was working on something related to your question... it might be helpful to you in addition to making use of the great tool provided by Tommi: http://goo.gl/N50uh

It's an easy workaround to getting long variable lists into Studio if you have Translators Workbench.

Regards

Paul

Shankaran Viswanathan  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 12:55
French to English
+ ...
TermInjector Oct 2, 2012

I had a look at the TermInjector. It is a very useful concept but unfortunately I found it very difficult to understand or set up. It may be simply that I am beginning too old to learn new tricks

Vishwa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009: Make it so some words change automatically for matches

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search