Is it possible to upgrade customer list from Studio 2009 to Studio 2011?
Thread poster: JaneD

JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 19:37
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Sep 9, 2012

I've recently upgraded to Studio 2011, and all is going fine so far, but I haven't got my old customer list, and can't work out whether there is meant to be a way to copy it from one program to the other.

I think I have found where it lives, in projects.xml, but sadly copying the Studio 2009 version of the list and pasting it into the Studio 2011 projects.xml gave me an error message on startup (sorry, I didn't make a note of it). So I assume that's not the way to do it.

But is there a way?

I'd also like to be able to reorder them in alphabetical order, but perhaps I would be able to do that by editing an all Studio 2011 version of the projects.xml file?

Thanks in advance.

Jane

JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fixed it myself - my fault in the first place Sep 14, 2012

It *is* just a question of copying and pasting the Customers part of projects.xml into the version for Studio 2011 - heaven knows what I did wrong when I tried it before (probably didn't edit the initial Customers tag, I think).

I have also taken the opportunity to reorder my Customers alphabetically, so it's all nice and tidy.

Nektaria Notaridou  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:37
English to Greek
+ ...
trying to do the same, need help! Mar 14, 2013

Hi Jane,

I am trying to do the same with my customer list. Thanks for your very useful entry!
Would you be so kind as to briefly walk me through the process?
I found the projects.xml and opened it with an xml editor, but I don't play with xml files very often (apart for translation), so I am afraid I will mess things up. Is there an easy/safe way/application to use for copying sorting my list alphabetically and copying it to the 2011 projects?

Thanks!
Nektaria

JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to do it Mar 14, 2013

Hi Nektaria,

I understand that you don't want to mess things up; the best thing to do is make a copy of the file first and save it with a different name (you can just change the file extension and make it .bak, for example). Then when you've edited it, if anything seems to be wrong you can just delete the one you changed and change the .bak extension back to .xml.

The easiest way to edit the xml file itself is to do so through Notepad.

However, I'm afraid I don't know of an application you can use to sort the customers into alphabetical order. I just did mine manually! It's a bit of a pain but once it's done it's much easier to find them in Studio, so it's worth the effort.

Hope this helps a bit.

Jane

NeoAtlas
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sorting in Word Mar 14, 2013

You can easily sort it in Word: copy the section from Notepad, paste it in Word, then sort the text by paragraph, and copy the text back to Notepad and save it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to upgrade customer list from Studio 2009 to Studio 2011?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search