Studio 2011 and IDML: "Failed to save target content" problem
Thread poster: Lars Holte
Lars Holte
Local time: 07:57
Danish to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Sep 12, 2012

I have SDL Trados Studio 2011 SP2 (0.2.3001.0) and run it on a computer with Windows 7, SP1, 8 GB RAM and an Intel i5-2320 CPU.
I have just finished translation of an IDML-file (InDesign). However, I get the following error message when I try to "Save as Target" (export back to InDesign).

The file itself is not particularly large - the document covers four pages.

[I *suspect* the problem may be caused by two consecutive lines in the beginning of the file with an "autopagenumber"-tag, but I don't know how to change this, and it is my guess that the error message relates to these two lines.]

Troubleshooting so far:
- I have used F8 - there is one error message saying in Danish something like: "Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object."
- I have searched for updates to Studio 2011 - I have the newest version
- I have updated Java to the newest version
- I have tried to leave the two above-mentioned lines either untranslated or copied from source or empty or locked, to no avail

Can anyone help me?

Lars Holte

[Edited at 2012-09-12 14:01 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Maria Popova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 08:57
Member (2011)
German to Bulgarian
+ ...
Error Messages? Sep 13, 2012

Dear Lars,

as far as I understand you've got Error Messages that prevent you from saving your document in the target format. Why don't you try "ignoring" the Error Messages by pressing "Ignore" or changing tag settings so that they don't appear as Errors?

Kind Regards,

Maria

Lars Holte
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but ... Sep 13, 2012

Dear Maria,

thank you for the suggestion. Sadly, it doesn't work, as this error message cannot be ignored, only deleted. I have tried deleting it, but it reappers when Saving as Target, as it is a result of the saving process.

Kind regards,

Lars

Lars Holte
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply from SDL Support Sep 13, 2012

Hi all,

I have received this message from SDL Trados support:
"This is an issue with SP2 which we will have resolved next week, can you please go back to SP1 for Studio 2011 and then the isse will be resolved."

I will try it and report back ...

Regards,

Lars

Lars Holte
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
There's a snag Sep 13, 2012

I have the SP2 installation files on my computer, but I deleted the old SP1 installation files when I had installed the SP2 version successfully. I didn't cross my mind that I might ever need the old files again.
When I enter "My Downloads" at SDL My Account, I can only find the latest version of the installation files (SP2).

So ....

Lars Holte
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Success... Sep 13, 2012

SDL Trados support gave me access to archived files. I then downloaded these files, deactivated the license, uninstalled the SP2 version (MultiTerm too). It was necessary to reboot to be able to install the SP1 files. Reactivated the license. I could then Save as Target.

Fine.

I will update to SP2 (or newer) when there is a fix next week.

Regards,

Lars

Maria Popova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 08:57
Member (2011)
German to Bulgarian
+ ...
Congratulations! Sep 13, 2012

Congratulations, Lars! You succeeded in finding a solution!

Dusan Rabrenovic  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Member (2008)
German to Slovenian
+ ...
Is there a solution in sight? Oct 11, 2012

I've just come across an identical error (http://i.imgur.com/GHOJo.png) with an IDML file that I received as a plain SDLXLIFF file. The corresponding IDML is in the same folder and has the same file name as the SDLXLIFF except for the language pair abbreviations at the end, of course. The source text in the file is about 97% Slovenian, while I had to translate about 3% of German text that was added to the preexisting document. That is to say, some 50 segment pairs contain both source and target, while the rest of the sdlxliff is Slovenian source with of course empty target segments, if this matters in any way. Let me know if any addition info is needed to tackle this. My PM appeared just as baffled by the same error on his side, I think.

Specs: Trados Studio 2011 SP2R - 10.2.3046.0
Slovenian Win 7, 8 GB RAM, i5 2500K.

Lars Holte
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Have you installed the latest version of SP2? Oct 11, 2012

My problem was fixed in the latest version of SP2 (upgrade SP2R) that was made available for download from SDL Trados on September 17, 2012.

I haven't encountered a similar problem since.

Regards,

Lars

Dusan Rabrenovic  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Member (2008)
German to Slovenian
+ ...
Yes, latest updates applied Oct 12, 2012

Thanks for the reply, Lars. As I said, I have the latest version (Trados Studio 2011 SP2R - 10.2.3046.0), and the check-for-updates button finds no new updates. My PM suspects something is fishy in the source file to begin with, but due to time constraints we decided not to dig any deeper into this. I'm just trying to get a better understanding of the problem at hand, and the nondescript errors that Trados produces don't help one bit.

Lars Holte
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry, I didn't read your message properly Oct 12, 2012

My original problem was that I could not save the file "as target" - very annoying at the end of a job and with deadline approaching. This was remedied with the upgrade to SP2.

I have later encountered a similar problem briefly with Word-files also. Apparently, it is possible to mess the file up during translation. Trados will not save "as target" if certain lines have errors in them.

As the translation memory will serve as a backup, I elected to delete the whole project and start over. When I open the project again, it was easy to translate the offending passages again and then save the file without errors.

Regards,
Lars

Gfarley
Norway
Norwegian (Bokmal) to English
+ ...
"An error occurred while parsing EntityName." solution Jan 15, 2014

I was not sure where to post this solution since I searched the forums and did not find this error message.

SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP3
When trying to Save target content or View target in Word
Got error "An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line 1, Position 98"
Solution: Trados could not handle a & symbol in the target text.
Note this was in the text, not in the file name.
I guess SDL thinks no one ever uses that symbol in their text...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 and IDML: "Failed to save target content" problem

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search