Can't activate new SDL software
Thread poster: Erik Macki
Erik Macki  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:13
German to English
+ ...
Sep 15, 2012

Hello SDL:

I subscribed to SDL Trados Studio 2011 Starter this past June after using the trial version of SDL Trados Studio 2011, which I had liked. I went to finally activate the subscription today (Sept. 15) because I have a job due. When I open SDL Trados Studio 2011 Starter, the activation dialog appears saying my subscription has expired (although the subscription I just bought is good through 2013), and then after entering my license key I am getting the following error:

Activation Failed
We cannot complete this activation because the license is still registered by SDL for another computer. Check that deactivation was completed on the other computer. (The deactivation must be sent to SDL.)
(Support reference: LicenseNumberAlreadyUsed -23)

So this error is wrong for these reasons:
1. I have not used the license activation key before today (Sept. 15), even though I bought the subscription in June.
2. I have tried to use the license activation key today only on my computer and not on any other computer (I don't have another computer), and I have not previously activated any SDL software.
3. The software won't let me finish loading it so that I could "deactivate" it so I can reactivate it--so I can't deactivate anything since nothing I own has been actually activated.

There is thus no way for me to activate and make use of the software I have paid for, and as I said I have a job for a client I assumed I could use the software to complete this weekend. Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Computer:
Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit, 22.9 of 100 GB free on HD1 and 38.8 of 100 GB free on HD2.

Direct link Reply with quote

Esther Gaspar Guardado
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same problem, any solutions? Oct 1, 2012

Hello Erik,

I have been reading your post and I have exactly the same problem. I was wondering if you finally found a solution, as I haven't been able to do it. I would really appreciate some help with this because I have a translation to do for Thursday... What did you finally do?

Thanks and best regards,

Esther

Erik Macki  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:13
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Open a trouble ticket via SDL's Web site Oct 1, 2012

Hi Esther,

I opened up a trouble ticket via the SDL Web site, and SDL replied within three days (no one looked at the trouble ticket over the weekend) by resetting my license in the "My Licenses" section of My SDL on their Web site. That did resolve the problem; if you get a trouble ticket in tonight, I bet someone will fix it from the UK overnight so you can still get your job done for Thursday. The link is here:

http://www.sdl.com/support/language-technology-products/installation-and-licensing.html

Even if you have Starter (which generally means you don't get support other than forums), someone at SDL should will respond to support requests for installation and license issues.

In the meantime I have also upgraded to the full Freelance version, and that activation worked without any problem. I suspect there is a bug in how the Starter edition handles activation licenses.

Good luck!

-Erik

Esther Gaspar Guardado
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
Problem solved Oct 2, 2012

Hi Erik,

I did as you told me and they fixed it in no time, thank you very much for your help!

Best regards... and thanks again!

Esther

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't activate new SDL software

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search