Cross file analysis for fuzzy matches in Studio 2011
Thread poster: rcorbeil

rcorbeil
Local time: 20:39
Sep 20, 2012

Hi,

How does one check for fuzzy matches between files in Studio 2011?

I was hoping that the Internal Fuzzy Matching option would do the trick, but it doesn't seem to do cross file analysis.

This could be achieved in Workbench 2007 with the "Using a TM from a previous analysis" option.

As this is something I need to do on a regular basis, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:39
English
Maybe you don't have the options checked? Sep 21, 2012

Hi,

You are on the right lines, as the "Report internal fuzzy match leverage" is the function you want. But in Tools - Options - Language Pairs - All Language Pairs - Batch Processing - Analyze Files you will find an option called "Report Cross-file Repetitions" at the top. make sure this is checked and try again. If it's an existing Project make sure you do this under Project Settings and not Tools - Options.

Regards

Paul

rcorbeil
TOPIC STARTER
That's what I thought too Sep 21, 2012

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I too thought that this would do the trick, but it doesn't. It only checks for repetitions.

rcorbeil
TOPIC STARTER
Any other ideas? Sep 26, 2012

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

George Cook
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:39
French to English
+ ...
Not possible in Studio? Jul 2, 2013

I'd be very interested to hear about this as well. As rcorbeil says above, ticking "Report cross-file repetitions" does exactly what you would imagine; it reports identical sentences across all the files being analysed. "Report internal fuzzy match leverage" also does what you imagine, but on a file-by-file basis (ie., the internal fuzzy matches for each file independently).

There is, however, no apparent way to get Studio to report cross-file fuzzy matches (ie. a sentence appearing in the second file that is 97% identical to one in the first file), in the same way that the "Use TM from previous analysis" function does in Workbench.

This means that, in theory, you could have two files where the second is changed only by one word in every sentence, and running an analysis in Studio would lead you to believe that the files were entirely different, as none of the sentences were an exact match.

If there is a workaround to this, I'd be very grateful to hear it. I'd also be most interested to hear the thoughts of anyone from SDL, not only as regards the apparent lack of this function in Studio 2009/2011, but also as to the likelihood of it being reinstated in the next release.

David Terhart  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:39
English to German
+ ...
Workaround Sep 17, 2013

George Cook wrote:

If there is a workaround to this, I'd be very grateful to hear it.

If we have to do with several Word files, as in my current case, I think it should work to open all files in Word and copy the contents of each file into a new single file, and analyze that file.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cross file analysis for fuzzy matches in Studio 2011

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search