https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/233185-studio_11_how_to_change_location_for_projectsxml.html

Studio 11: How to change location for projects.xml?
Thread poster: pjg111
pjg111
pjg111  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:51
English to French
Sep 21, 2012

Hi everybody,

As my LAN got down, my projects list suddenly disappeared from Trados Studio 2011 projects window and I just realized that Trados Studio 2011 was writing some data to projects.xml in a network folder.

I would like to change this setting and behavior so everything is performed locally but I've been unable to find where this setting may be stored. I unsuccessfully searched the Windows registry and looked at the Tool/Options and File/Setup in Trados Studio 20
... See more
Hi everybody,

As my LAN got down, my projects list suddenly disappeared from Trados Studio 2011 projects window and I just realized that Trados Studio 2011 was writing some data to projects.xml in a network folder.

I would like to change this setting and behavior so everything is performed locally but I've been unable to find where this setting may be stored. I unsuccessfully searched the Windows registry and looked at the Tool/Options and File/Setup in Trados Studio 2011.

Any clue? Many thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Patrick
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Just some clarification Sep 21, 2012

Hi Patrick,

Can you confirm whether the problem is that the Projects were stored on a network drive and that it is no longer there... so Studio has no idea where they are. Or whether you managed to put the projects.xml onto the network drive... in which case I'd like to know how you managed that?

The default location for projects.xml is here (assuming you are on W7 or Vista):

c:\Users\[USERNAME]\Documents\Studio 2011\Projects\

Regards
... See more
Hi Patrick,

Can you confirm whether the problem is that the Projects were stored on a network drive and that it is no longer there... so Studio has no idea where they are. Or whether you managed to put the projects.xml onto the network drive... in which case I'd like to know how you managed that?

The default location for projects.xml is here (assuming you are on W7 or Vista):

Regards

Paul
Collapse

pjg111
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
How to change the location of projects.xml Sep 21, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

Hi Patrick,

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your response.

Fyi I'm on Windows XP Pro SP3.

Actually all my Trados Studio 2011 projects are located on my local drive (d:\). Relevant folders are duplicated/synchronized to a network drive (x:\) when I backup them.

However apparently when Trados Studio 2011 starts it opens
X:\Studio 2011\Projects\projects.xml
although the current projects are updated on my local side under
D:\Studio 2011\Projects
when I work on them using Trados Studio 2011

Where can I change this startup setting so Trados Studio 2011 reads and updates
D:\Studio 2011\Projects\projects.xml
when it starts?

I hope I made my question clearer.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Patrick

[Edited at 2012-09-21 12:43 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
projects.xml Sep 21, 2012

Hi Patrick,

I don't really understand how you managed to get the projects.xml on your backup drive by default... however. Can you first look in the My Documents properties and see what your default location is:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310147

This should not be your backup drive... but this could account for how the projects.xml got there... maybe.
... See more
Hi Patrick,

I don't really understand how you managed to get the projects.xml on your backup drive by default... however. Can you first look in the My Documents properties and see what your default location is:

This should not be your backup drive... but this could account for how the projects.xml got there... maybe.

Once you sort out this (using the MS KB article), if you need to, then you can change the default location for the projects.xml in the Sdl.ProjectApi.xml located here:

C:\Documents and Settings\[USER_NAME]\Local Settings\Application Data\SDL\ProjectApi\10.0.0.0

All you need to do is edit the path in this xml and that should take care of it. Hopefully this will sort it out?

Regards

Paul
Collapse

pjg111
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
SOLVED Sep 21, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

Hi Patrick,

Once you sort out this (using the MS KB article), if you need to, then you can change the default location for the projects.xml in the Sdl.ProjectApi.xml located here:

C:\Documents and Settings\[USER_NAME]\Local Settings\Application Data\SDL\ProjectApi\10.0.0.0

All you need to do is edit the path in this xml and that should take care of it. Hopefully this will sort it out?

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thank you so much for your prompt, effective response. I'm glad to let you know it works.

Plse note that I was not interested in changing My documents location.

But the trick you provided me about how to modify the Sdl.ProjectApi.xml file was just what I was needing. I edited the path in the xml file accordingly.

FYI I think my problem came from when I first installed Trados Studio 2011 I was using my network drive as my working place. As LAN proved too slow, I subsequently changed my working policy but Trados Studio 2011 kept the original setup info. The problem as you can see from my query is that the user has no means to change the projects list path from any place in Trados Studio 2011 UI. They have to ask knowledgeable and helpful people such as you!

Cheers.

Patrick

ajitrans

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Not me...! Sep 21, 2012

pjg111 wrote:

They have to ask knowledgeable and helpful people such as you!

Hi Patrik,

I learned something new here too... I had to ask Richard from the Stuttgart Support team... he knows everything

Regards

Paul

pjg111
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
THANKS AND REMINDER OF PROBLEM Sep 21, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

pjg111 wrote:

They have to ask knowledgeable and helpful people such as you!

Hi Patrik,

I learned something new here too... I had to ask Richard from the Stuttgart Support team... he knows everything

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul. OK. Thanks for giving due credits. Plse extend my warm thanks to Richard too if he is not checking this forum.

That said, let me again wonder why the user has no control on this setting which is embedded in an xml file and not accessible from the product's UI.

Cheers.

Patrick

ajitrans

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
because... Sep 21, 2012

pjg111 wrote:

That said, let me again wonder why the user has no control on this setting which is embedded in an xml file and not accessible from the product's UI.

... this is not a configurable option. You can put your clients files wherever you like but Studio uses the default Documents Folder for the installation and this is where the Projects are created and stored. You can also put the projects somewhere else, but the projects.xml will always be here. I think the problem you have encountered is not a common one, and is also not something the software will support. Hence the reason it's not an option somewhere in the UI.

You may think it should be... but all I can say is that this is how the software installs itself using the windows configuration at the time. I guess you can log an idea if you feel strongly about it - ideas.sdl.com

Regards

Paul

pjg111
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
OK Sep 22, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

pjg111 wrote:

... this is not a configurable option. You can put your clients files wherever you like but Studio uses the default Documents Folder for the installation and this is where the Projects are created and stored. You can also put the projects somewhere else, but the projects.xml will always be here. I think the problem you have encountered is not a common one, and is also not something the software will support. Hence the reason it's not an option somewhere in the UI.

Regards

Paul [/quote]

OK, Paul. I understand your point and it makes sense. Let's close the discussion here. I got the helpul answer I was in need of and I hope it has been useful for other people as well.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Path changed with Studio 2014 Mar 29, 2015

Hi,

Just an update. If you use Studio 2014 the path is this:

c:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\ProjectApi\11.0.0.0\

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Hardcoded location Mar 29, 2015

SDL Community wrote:

Hi,

Just an update. If you use Studio 2014 the path is this:

c:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\ProjectApi\11.0.0.0\

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Does this mean that Studio 2014 does not put any unremovable files in the Documents folder?
If so, that would be a significant step towards making Studio behave like a civilized application.

Richard Hill
Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:51
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Aug 28, 2015

[Edited at 2015-08-28 15:51 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 11: How to change location for projects.xml?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »