MultiTerm vs. Studio 2011 Freelance
Thread poster: Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:17
Finnish to French
Sep 21, 2012

What is the status of MultiTerm vs. Studio 2011 Freelance? The Translationzone shop lists them as two separate products, with normal prices of 845 and 250 euros, respectively. However, I have a Studio 2011 license, I can't remember having purchased MultiTerm separately, but an item labelled "SDL MultiTerm 2011 SP2 Desktop Installer" is listed in the My Downloads section of my account (OTOH, MultiTerm is ... See more
What is the status of MultiTerm vs. Studio 2011 Freelance? The Translationzone shop lists them as two separate products, with normal prices of 845 and 250 euros, respectively. However, I have a Studio 2011 license, I can't remember having purchased MultiTerm separately, but an item labelled "SDL MultiTerm 2011 SP2 Desktop Installer" is listed in the My Downloads section of my account (OTOH, MultiTerm is not listed in the My Licenses section). Is this because I originally upgraded to Studio from legacy Trados (SDL Trados 2006)? Do or do not new buyers of Studio 2011 Freelance get MultiTerm Desktop 2011?Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:17
English
There is no "versus" Sep 21, 2012

Hi Dominique,

MultiTerm is available as a standalone product and we have many users, terminologists mainly, who don't use Studio or Workbench but are heavy users of MultiTerm.

So if you purchase Freelance then you get MultiTerm with it... it's not one or t'other.

I guess as we have always done this the question has never arisen before... but now that you mention it I can't see where we specifically say MultiTerm is included... although we don't say Passolo
... See more
Hi Dominique,

MultiTerm is available as a standalone product and we have many users, terminologists mainly, who don't use Studio or Workbench but are heavy users of MultiTerm.

So if you purchase Freelance then you get MultiTerm with it... it's not one or t'other.

I guess as we have always done this the question has never arisen before... but now that you mention it I can't see where we specifically say MultiTerm is included... although we don't say Passolo Essential is included either... but I'll speak to the web team so we can clarify this point. If you are confused then anyone could be... unless I just can't see it either which is also possible.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for clarifying! Sep 21, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

Thanks, Paul! Actually, my question was prompted by Massimo's link to the trial version in a recent post of his. I pretended to be a Studio wannabee and I downloaded the Studio trial. I then noticed MultiTerm was not included, which had me wondering whether it would be left out, if/when I purchased Studio. I think it is not obvious for prospective buyers of Studio Freelance that MultiTerm Desktop is included, so it could be worth mentioning on the Translationzone page. The terminologists you mention wouldn't typically buy MultiTerm in the Translationzone shop, would they? That's, however, where freelancers would typically land when looking for Studio.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Purchasers Sep 21, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

...The terminologists you mention wouldn't typically buy MultiTerm in the Translationzone shop, would they? That's, however, where freelancers would typically land when looking for Studio.

True... I think most would come through our sales account managers, but we do link from the Corporate site to TZone for anyone wanting to just purchase the desktop solution.

Regards

Paul

Georgi Kovachev
Georgi Kovachev  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Member (2010)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
I confirm that MultiTerm is not included in the trial version Sep 21, 2012

Hi all,

SDL Support wrote:

I downloaded the trial version four days ago, but am afraid I am not able to make full use it since I cannot upload my term bases therein. MultiTerm is not included and one cannot import their terms in the propriatory format. I tried to find a trial version of MultiTerm, but could not do so. Generally, I can only perform concordance searches as I am not allowed to enter new terms (the Add New Terms field is greyed out). If I am wrong, please let me know.
I am afraid, thus, one cannot make up his mind if Studio 2011 is a better software compared to others. I can only comment based on the tutorial included in the Help menu and the test file that I translated yesterday.
I use WordFast Anywhere, Translation Workspace and ("the notorious") Across and could claim that the functionality and the UI of the latest version of Across (v5.3, released in July 2012) rivals the ones of Studio 2011. In this respect, please note that I do not use MT. Probably, and most likely, I am making these conclusions too early, but if I cannot add terms during the trial period, I cannot come to a proper decision. I consider this a great disadvantage. IMHO, adding terms is crucial in the field of translation.
I am also keen on trying the other tools I am not currently using (MemoQ, Deja Vu, Fluency) prior to deciding if I will switch to, and buy, another offline tool or if I will keep on using Across.

Happy translating to all.

Regards,
Georgi

Grayson Morr (X)
Grayson Morr (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
MultiTerm is listed as included in Trados Studio 2011 on Features tab Sep 26, 2012

It's a little buried, but the information is about halfway down the "Features" tab for Trados Studio 2011 Freelance:

Integrated or standalone terminology management
Ensuring terminology accuracy is critical for high quality translations. Through integration with SDL MultiTerm, you can pride yourself in always delivering the right t... See more
It's a little buried, but the information is about halfway down the "Features" tab for Trados Studio 2011 Freelance:

Ensuring terminology accuracy is critical for high quality translations. Through integration with SDL MultiTerm, you can pride yourself in always delivering the right term. SDL MultiTerm, also included as a standalone application when you purchase SDL Trados Studio, provides the most robust terminology solution in the industry.
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
MultiTerm Sep 26, 2012

Grayson Morris wrote:
Ensuring terminology accuracy is critical for high quality translations. Through integration with SDL MultiTerm, you can pride yourself in always delivering the right term. SDL MultiTerm, also included as a standalone application when you purchase SDL Trados Studio, provides the most robust terminology solution in the industry.

Quite buried indeed, but it's there, thank for pointing this out! However, the fact remains MultiTerm is not included with the trial version, and prospective buyers can't even add terms to the sample termbases provided, as Georgi noted.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
If anyone is interested... Sep 26, 2012

... I created a termbase with 94 languages in it and can make it available via email. This should provide a termbase anyone can use with Studio for a little testing.

Regards

Paul
[email protected]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
lucia001
lucia001
Czech Republic
MultitTerm Desktop vs Studio 2011 Professional Dec 6, 2013

Hello Paul,

I have SDL Trados 2011 Professional ( single user ) and I have installed also MultiTerm desktop which works fine.
In a call that I had with your support in offering a solution how to share the terminology (before implementing MultiTerm Server which I am considering ) they suggested that I could install MultiTerm Desktop in different machines and share the termbase. But after checking I recognized that this is not specified in the license.

My
... See more
Hello Paul,

I have SDL Trados 2011 Professional ( single user ) and I have installed also MultiTerm desktop which works fine.
In a call that I had with your support in offering a solution how to share the terminology (before implementing MultiTerm Server which I am considering ) they suggested that I could install MultiTerm Desktop in different machines and share the termbase. But after checking I recognized that this is not specified in the license.

My question is if it possible to install MultiTerm Desktop in more than one machine with SDL Trados 2011 Professional ( single user ) license that I have?

Thank you in advance for your feedback,
Luçia
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MultiTerm vs. Studio 2011 Freelance

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »