Compatibility between Trados 2007 and Studio 2011
Thread poster: karen henry

karen henry  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:35
French to English
Sep 21, 2012

I've just been asked to do a translation for an agency which specifically asks for Trados 2007. I've got Trados Studio 2011. I thought the different versions of Trados were compatible. If this is the case, is there anything I need to do before starting the translation? Would I need to upgrade the TM? Would I need to tell them that I'm using Trados 2011?

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
SDL TTX It Sep 21, 2012

Hi Karen,

If your agency has sent you a ttx file, just open it in 2011 and when done, save as TradosTagEditor. If you've got the source file SDL TTX It found under Start Programs SDL Studio 2011 OpenExchange Apps and then open it in Studio - yes you need to upgrade the TM.

HTH,

Bernard

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
@Bernard Sep 21, 2012

It's a Words file that needs to be delivered as a clean and unclean document.

Thanks for your help

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:35
Finnish to French
Prepare document (or have it prepared for you) Sep 21, 2012

karen henry wrote:
It's a Words file that needs to be delivered as a clean and unclean document.

Then you can prepare the document as explained in this recent video of mine:

http://youtu.be/W09GwI_F0kI?hd=1

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dominique Sep 21, 2012

Your video is very clear!

Finnish to French
A warning Sep 21, 2012

karen henry wrote:
Your video is very clear!

You're welcome!

Just a word of caution: if you end up using Wordfast for the pre-segmentation, do read the warning about complex documents included in the description field on YouTube and in the post on my blog:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2012/09/16/prepare-word-document-with-trados-workbench-and-wordfast-classic-for-delivery-as-uncleaned/

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Complicated documents Sep 21, 2012

Thanks for the warning. In that case, would it not be safer to just ask the agency to prepare the document, or is this not the done thing?

I must admit that I find it a bit ridiculous that the versions aren't compatible and that none of this information is given when you purchase what is after all a very expensive CAT tool. I received a 'kit' from one agency that was impossible to open in Trados 2011 and as a beginner I had no idea what to do with it. I had to turn it down as it was an urgent job; I also felt a bit of an idiot!

Thanks

Karen

Finnish to French
Trados 2007 Sep 21, 2012

karen henry wrote:
Thanks for the warning. In that case, would it not be safer to just ask the agency to prepare the document, or is this not the done thing?

Working for a "Trados" client can mean so many things there are really no established rules: it's up to whatever you agree with them.
karen henry wrote:
I must admit that I find it a bit ridiculous that the versions aren't compatible and that none of this information is given when you purchase what is after all a very expensive CAT tool. I received a 'kit' from one agency that was impossible to open in Trados 2011 and as a beginner I had no idea what to do with it. I had to turn it down as it was an urgent job; I also felt a bit of an idiot!

Trados 2007 was bundled with Studio 2009 to take care of the kind of scenario you just faced. It's no longer automatically bundled with Studio 2011, but SDL is happy to sell it to you, for an extra price

Anyway, accepting an urgent job from a new client that involves a tool you're not familiar with can be a risky proposition, so turning it down was perhaps the right thing to do.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Compatibility Sep 22, 2012

karen henry wrote:

I must admit that I find it a bit ridiculous that the versions aren't compatible and that none of this information is given when you purchase what is after all a very expensive CAT tool.

Hi Karen,

Studio can work on the Bilingual DOC and the TTX formats so if you receive files in this format you should be fine. What Studio cannot do is to create the file in these old formats in the first place. We do have TTXiT that will create an unsegmented TTX file, and we have the SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter that will create a Bilingualk Doc or a TTX from your SDLXLIFF. But none of these are 100% foolproof in comparison with the files that would be created if you used the older tools. In fact no tools other than the old Trados tools will be adequate for 100% compatibility. The reasons are many, and it just doesn't make sense to continue creating files with the same old filters and segmentation rules, the same bugs etc.

So if you think you are going to be getting a lot of work from customers who ask you to create the old format for them from a source file then it worth checking a few things.

Find out why they need this? If they only want to clean up the file into a TM then they may be happy with you giving them the target (cleaned) file from Studio and a Bilingual Doc/TTX created with the SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter. If this is the case then you will be fine with only Studio and many users find this is the case.

If they want to be able to clean up the file into their TM and create a fully formatted clean file themselves then you have no option but to either ask them to create the Bilingual Doc for you, which they should be able to do as they probably have Trados in order to clean up the file in this way. In fact this would be preferred as there are many versions of Trados and if they create the Bilingual you should be safe in the knowledge they will be able to clean it up successfully.

Or, you purchase a copy of Trados so you can do this yourself.

Dominic is correct in that Wordfast can do this too... but as he said, this is not Trados and even here there may be differences in the way the file is segmented that cause problems for the clean up later on.

Regards

Paul

Finnish to French
Trial version of Trados 2007 Sep 22, 2012

SDL Support wrote:
Or, you purchase a copy of Trados so you can do this yourself.

AFAIK, the trial version of Trados 2007 is sufficient for the purpose of pre-segmenting a document. What I don't remember is whether or not it is time-bombed (= will the feature be functional after the trial period is over).

[Edited at 2012-09-22 12:03 GMT]

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
SDLXLIFF to legacy converter Sep 26, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

If they only want to clean up the file into a TM then they may be happy with you giving them the target (cleaned) file from Studio and a Bilingual Doc/TTX created with the SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter.

Where do I find this legacy converter?!!

Finnish to French
OpenExchange Sep 26, 2012

karen henry wrote:
Where do I find this legacy converter?!!

http://www.translationzone.com/en/openexchange/Default.aspx?o=0

You need to log in to your account in order to be able to download it.

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
legacy converter Sep 27, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

http://www.translationzone.com/en/openexchange/Default.aspx?o=0

You need to log in to your account in order to be able to download it.

Good job I asked, I was looking on Studio!

By the way, the link to trados 2007 does not work.

Thanks for your help.

Finnish to French
Link to Trados 2007 removed by SDL Sep 27, 2012

karen henry wrote:
By the way, the link to trados 2007 does not work.

It no longer works. SDL must have decided it was time to retire it.

PMCahen  Identity Verified
Ecuador
Local time: 05:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
TRADOS 2007 Aug 9, 2015

Dear colleagues,

I\'m desperately trying to get a copy of TRADOS 2007. I can\'t find it anywhere on the Web.
I\'m thinking about getting the starter version for $99 directly from SDL. Is this package compatible with TRADOS 2007?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Compatibility between Trados 2007 and Studio 2011

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search