Pre-translate does not work
Thread poster: Noha Kamal, PhD.

Noha Kamal, PhD.  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:33
English to Arabic
+ ...
Sep 26, 2012

Hi all,

My question may seem simple, but I am finding it very puzzling. I received a large sdlxliff from a client which contains around 10,000 words perfect matches or other matches. I tried to pre-translate the file, so that all matches would appear in teh file and I'd be left with only the no matches, but it does not work. I still have to stop in each segment so the translation would be retrieved from the memory! Am I doing something wrong here? I use SDL Studio 2011

TIA

[Redigeeritud 2012-09-26 09:41 GMT]

Maria Popova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 19:33
Member (2011)
German to Bulgarian
+ ...
Same problem Sep 26, 2012

Hi,

I faced the same problem after installing the new SP2 update from last week!

Regards,

Maria

Sian Cooper  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
I have the same problem (I think) Sep 27, 2012

Hi, I'm on SP2 too, but I'm a fairly new user, and in fact I was just about to post a question on how pre-translate is supposed to work, because it doesn't seem to do anything. In all my documents, all my target segments are always empty, despite running pre-translate. My assumption is that pre-translate should pre-populate at least some segments, although I'm not sure where it should take its translation from, if you use several TMs (can you tell it which one to prefer?). I always have to wait for it to do a re-search of the TMs, segment to segment.

May be unrelated, but when attempting to fix this, I went into Options, Editor, Translation Results Window, and changed the 'Search result display mode' option from default to 'Show translation proposal'.

Then, when I saved the options and every time I changed segments, I got an error, 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object'. I have saved the error message but don't know what to do with it (can't attach here, that is a real drawback, ProZ!).

I have changed that setting back to default and the error goes; the lack of pre-translate remains...

Thanks

[Edited at 2012-09-27 09:24 GMT]

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:33
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Maybe this is too obvious Sep 27, 2012

I apologize if this is too obvious, but is the right TM enabled before running the pre-translate task?

During the pre-translate task, go to Language Pairs-All language pairs-Translation Memory and Automated Translation and make sure you've go the necessary TMs enabled.

Sian Cooper  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Nope not too obvious :) Oct 4, 2012

Hi Nora - not too obvious, certainly for me, as a still relative newb to the product!

I had a chat to a friend translator who explained to me that the pre-translate function uses the TM - I am still building up a personal TM, and otherwise use the online ones (SDL Global etc.); although I do get some decent level translation hits this way, I guess it is only expecting to work from an actual file/server TM.

Thanks !

CCSJ
Belgium
English to German
+ ...
Same problem here Apr 5, 2017

Hi Noha and Maria,

have you found a solution to your problem? I am facing the same problem right now...

Thanks in advance!
Sabine

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pre-translate does not work

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search