Pre-translate does not work
Thread poster: Noha Kamal, PhD.

Noha Kamal, PhD.  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:17
English to Arabic
+ ...
Sep 26, 2012

Hi all,

My question may seem simple, but I am finding it very puzzling. I received a large sdlxliff from a client which contains around 10,000 words perfect matches or other matches. I tried to pre-translate the file, so that all matches would appear in teh file and I'd be left with only the no matches, but it does not work. I still have to stop in each segment so the translation would be retrieved from the memory! Am I doing something wrong here? I use SDL Studio 2011

TIA

[Redigeeritud 2012-09-26 09:41 GMT]

Maria Popova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 07:17
Member (2011)
German to Bulgarian
+ ...
Same problem Sep 26, 2012

Hi,

I faced the same problem after installing the new SP2 update from last week!

Regards,

Maria

Sian Cooper  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
I have the same problem (I think) Sep 27, 2012

Hi, I'm on SP2 too, but I'm a fairly new user, and in fact I was just about to post a question on how pre-translate is supposed to work, because it doesn't seem to do anything. In all my documents, all my target segments are always empty, despite running pre-translate. My assumption is that pre-translate should pre-populate at least some segments, although I'm not sure where it should take its translation from, if you use several TMs (can you tell it which one to prefer?). I always have to wait for it to do a re-search of the TMs, segment to segment.

May be unrelated, but when attempting to fix this, I went into Options, Editor, Translation Results Window, and changed the 'Search result display mode' option from default to 'Show translation proposal'.

Then, when I saved the options and every time I changed segments, I got an error, 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object'. I have saved the error message but don't know what to do with it (can't attach here, that is a real drawback, ProZ!).

I have changed that setting back to default and the error goes; the lack of pre-translate remains...

Thanks

[Edited at 2012-09-27 09:24 GMT]

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:17
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Maybe this is too obvious Sep 27, 2012

I apologize if this is too obvious, but is the right TM enabled before running the pre-translate task?

During the pre-translate task, go to Language Pairs-All language pairs-Translation Memory and Automated Translation and make sure you've go the necessary TMs enabled.

Sian Cooper  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Nope not too obvious :) Oct 4, 2012

Hi Nora - not too obvious, certainly for me, as a still relative newb to the product!

I had a chat to a friend translator who explained to me that the pre-translate function uses the TM - I am still building up a personal TM, and otherwise use the online ones (SDL Global etc.); although I do get some decent level translation hits this way, I guess it is only expecting to work from an actual file/server TM.

Thanks !

CCSJ
Belgium
English to German
+ ...
Same problem here Apr 5, 2017

Hi Noha and Maria,

have you found a solution to your problem? I am facing the same problem right now...

Thanks in advance!
Sabine

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pre-translate does not work

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search