Which files should I copy to conserve user settings when transferring Studio 2011 to new PC?
Thread poster: Richard Hill

Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:44
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Sep 28, 2012

Hi all,

I've finally found time to update my hardware and wanted to ask if anyone could tell me which folder(s)/files I should copy so as to conserve my current Trados Studio 2011 user settings on windows 7?

Thanks in advance

Rich

Direct link Reply with quote

Shankaran Viswanathan  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 22:14
French to English
+ ...
Same problem but more complex Oct 2, 2012

I have been trying to link up my Desktop and my Laptop so that I can have access to all the data and the same time increase my mobility.

I have examined all kinds of software options but I found all the Sync solutions unadapted for my purpose.

Finally I am beginning to think that a hardware solution may be best, keep every thing on a USB drive and just keep switching it from machine to machine.

Is this really feasible, are there going to be hassles like the USB drive failing etc.?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Vishwa

JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 17:44
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
At least some of the files Oct 2, 2012

Hi Rich,

In the absence of an answer from a more technical user, I'm not sure whether this is all the files (you'll have to try it and see), but if you copy the file "projects.xml" from the Studio 2011>Projects folder - wherever that is on your machine - you will transfer a good part of the user data.

Jane

pjg111  Identity Verified
Member (2010)
English to French
My solution for syncing Studio11 between desktop and laptop Oct 2, 2012

Shankaran Viswanathan wrote:

I have been trying to link up my Desktop and my Laptop so that I can have access to all the data and the same time increase my mobility.

I have examined all kinds of software options but I found all the Sync solutions unadapted for my purpose.

Finally I am beginning to think that a hardware solution may be best, keep every thing on a USB drive and just keep switching it from machine to machine.

Is this really feasible, are there going to be hassles like the USB drive failing etc.?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Vishwa

Hi Vishwa,

I'm using Scooter Software's BeyondCompare to sync my work between my desktop PC and my laptop. I basically have two sync scripts for that task: one for settings themselves, and one for the working files.

1/ Syncing Trados Studio 2011 settings

From C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data to \\\Documents and Settings\\Application Data (providing this folder is shared and network write accessible on your laptop)
Passolo 2009
SDL
SDL International
Trados

Of course you might add folders for other applications you use in your translation work (e.g., Idiom Technologies, Inc, IntelliWebSearch, MemoQ, etc.)

2/ Syncing Working files

\SDL\SDL MultiTerm\Termbases
\Studio 2011
My working folder for translations
SDL Trados
SDL Trados Studio
Studio 2011

All above folders are located on my D: drive which is dedicated to my data including my translation work.

I hope that helps. Maybe some fellow translators and Paul will mention additional files I might have overlooked.

Cheers.

Patrick

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
User profile Oct 2, 2012

rich. wrote:

my current Trados Studio 2011 user settings

Rich

Of course, you should export your user profile and import it to the new machine.
Tools>manage user profiles.
Your user profile contains keyboard shortcuts you may have changed, window layout, plus, most importantly, all your settings under Options.

Re: transferring projects. Unless you can reproduce the exact path to where files are, I would recommend creating new projects, otherwise Studio is going to find a lot of missing paths and give you error messages.
So just copy your TM folder and TB folder into your new machine and point your new projects to them.

Emma

Shankaran Viswanathan  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 22:14
French to English
+ ...
Thank you Patrick Oct 5, 2012

Beyond compare is a very nifty software and I recommend it strongly.

Vishwa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which files should I copy to conserve user settings when transferring Studio 2011 to new PC?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search