Thread poster: chaplin

chaplin
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:38
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
Sep 30, 2012

I need your help, you the pros out there!
I have received a translation memory plus a lot of files and do not know in which order to work in Trados. I ususally put the doc in word then rpint it. Then Ir ead the doc. I have never had to use a memory and am lost. I did attend various workshops but have not practiced. I can use the basic things in Trados 2007 but 2009 is a minefield. I will be very grateful to have the main steps to adopt from when you receive a document to the delivery of the translation unclean files and cleaned files.

Thanks a million

Kind regards

Direct link Reply with quote

Katja Schoone  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:38
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
process description Sep 30, 2012

First of all you have to import the TM into your existing master translation memory or another TM. Then you open the document/file, then you save the unclean file (save as...) and proceed with your translation. In the end you have to safe the target file which will then be your clean file.

That's it

Stephanie Busch  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:38
Member (2010)
English to German
+ ...
Video Tutorials and Quick Start PDFs Oct 1, 2012

Hi Ségolène,

Trados 2009 is indeed very different from 2007; you have to create a project first and then assign the files and TMs to it.

Also it does not produce or import unclean Word files, but uses a different bilingual format.

In case you are familiar with TagEditor (part of Trados 2007), you might like to try creating a bilingual TTX file, and convert this for use with Trados 2009 with the help of the TTXit plugin. You will have to install this plugin first though.

For working with Studio itself, SDL has provided a few helpful resources.

When you look into your folder structure from the Start menu, you should be able to access the Studio documentation including Quick Start guides and a link to the SDL video tutorials, which I will paste here:

http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Trados%20Studio/client_en/SDL_Trados_Studio_Help.htm

On my machine, the folder path with the PDF guides is Start/All Programs/SDL/SDL Trados Studio 2009/Documentation/Quick Start Guides.

I can also email you the Quick Start PDFs if you send me a message via my profile.

Hope this helps!
Stephanie

chaplin
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Studio 2009 saving unclean file Oct 1, 2012

Thank you to you both for your precious help!
I am still not sure about the unclean file. You save it fromt he beginning were? In my folder for this agency in Word? Thanks for confrming.
Though I went to various workshops about Trados it is always ont he new version and I am always one step behind!!!
I should practice when I do not have a job on!!!
Have a good week!

chaplin
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More problems with memory Oct 1, 2012

I received the memory as a zip file. I know I have to import it. What do I do? Do I need to save it as word first then import it? I am getting more and more confused!!!Once I have done it once I know it will be esay but now I am hardly floating in this mire!!

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
File system Oct 1, 2012

I find it easiest to have a folder system set up so you always know where everything should be. Under my Trados folder, I have a folder called Translation packages where I file everything the client has sent - this may be a Trados package, or it may be a zip file with the source file, sometimes a ttx file, a TM, the analysis, any termbases. I then save the TM file in my TMs folder, termbases in my Termabases folder and put the source file in my Target files folder (for some reason when I try and save the finished translation to a new target file with an en extension, it only lets me do it if the source file is already in that folder). I then open the document in Trados and save it as an xliff file, also in the target files folder. At this point I add the TM under Project settings, going to the folder I've filed the TM and adding it, and also any termbases I may want to add. Then translate! When you've finished, simply click "Save as target" and make sure it saves to your Target file with the appropriate extension to distinguish it from the original.

Hope this helps - it took me ages to get used to the Studio workflow too, as I was used to Wordfast and had never used Trados at all. I got there in the end though....

Good luck!

Claire

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2009: help with first steps

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search