Studio 2011 Starter Edition: can I finalize a file?
Thread poster: Steven Segaert

Steven Segaert  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 17:14
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Oct 1, 2012

Dear colleagues,

For those using Studio 2011 Starter edition... could you please tell me if it allows you to finalize files using the batch command?

One of my clients wants me to deliver packages + the finalized files. Because I use MemoQ instead of Trados, I would get the starter edition just for the purpose of making the packages and creating the "cleaned" files (MemoQ handles sdlxliff just fine).

Finalizing files is a batch action in Studio, and the the product comparison pages states (for the Starter edition): "Full batch task functionality - No"

Could someone with the Starter edition please let me know what the deal is here? Can one finalize a finished translation in the Starter edition?

Many thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:14
English
It's only a batch task if you want... Oct 1, 2012

... to do several files at the same time (hence the name "batch").

You can save the target files by using File - Save target As. But if he's sending you a Project Package then you don't really need to finalize at all... just create the return package and your client can do the rest. Finalize updates the TM (that you don't send back to your client) and creates the target files (that you don't normally send back to your client). So in my opinion using Finalize when you get a Project Package is only useful for you.

If you mean a package as in you create a bunch a files, package them up and then send them to your client then the answer is no. You can not use batch tasks for any of this with Starter.

Most functionality in Starter is enabled if you are working on a Project Package.

Regards

Paul

Steven Segaert  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 17:14
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! So, in separate steps, that means... Oct 1, 2012

Thanks Paul!

I agree with you that the client can do certain things himself. However, I also want to be as accommodating as I possibly can.

This particular client requires me to log in to a TM and submit the segments there. They also require me to send a "cleaned" file along with the return package.

So, to make sure I have it right: alternatively to "finalize", I ...

1) Save the finished translations to the "original format" with a "save as" option.

This is, by the way, an option I don't find in the trial edition I have installed now.

2) Update the TM.

Is there a button / menu option for that?

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:14
English
ok... Oct 1, 2012

Steven Segaert wrote:

So, to make sure I have it right: alternatively to "finalize", I ...

1) Save the finished translations to the "original format" with a "save as" option.

This is, by the way, an option I don't find in the trial edition I have installed now.

2) Update the TM.

Is there a button / menu option for that?

Hi Steven,

The Save-As you will find under File -> Save Target As but it's really only useful for a single file at a time. If you have a lot you have two choices:

1. Batch tasks - Finalize
2. Batch tasks - Generate Target Translations

The latter is more useful for your cause I think as you can specify a folder for them in one place. Useful if you have nested folders for translation and have to send only cleaned files without the nesting.

Updating the TM... well I would expect you to have done this as you work, but if you want to update a specific TM that is not updated yet then you have two options (at least):

1. Add the TM to your Project and use Batch tasks - Update TM
2. Import the sdlxliff files to the TM you wish to update

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2012-10-01 16:27 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 Starter Edition: can I finalize a file?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search