Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
translated.net deal on Studio Freelance
Thread poster: Dominique Pivard

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:35
Finnish to French
Oct 2, 2012

Just after SDL told you the recent TGB deal (Studio Freelance 2011 for 456 euros, ie. -46%) was their "biggest saving yet", you see this:

I guess it's legit, right?

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:35
English
Probably good to read it all.. Oct 2, 2012

Reserved for our team
The offer is only available to translators registered with Translated. If you are not registered as a translator with Translated, you will not be able to activate the SDL Trados Studio license.

So I guess they have purchased in bulk for the benefits of their translators. It's legitimate.

Regards

Paul

Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
Registering only takes 10 minutes Oct 2, 2012

SDL Support wrote:
Reserved for our team
The offer is only available to translators registered with Translated. If you are not registered as a translator with Translated, you will not be able to activate the SDL Trados Studio license.

So I guess they have purchased in bulk for the benefits of their translators. It's legitimate.

I did read all of it. From that, I gathered all it takes to be one of "their" translators (and be eligible for the deal) is to fill in a short form (they say it takes 10 minutes to register).
I know many people take advantage of deals on ProZ even if they are not members: they just create a freee account for the sole purpose of benefiting from the deal.
Thanks anyway for confirming it's legit.

United Kingdom
English
Thanks... Oct 2, 2012

... from Translated.net

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Thanks... I think Oct 2, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:
SDL Support wrote:
It's legitimate.

I gathered all it takes to be one of "their" translators (and be eligible for the deal) is to fill in a short form (they say it takes 10 minutes to register). ... Thanks anyway for confirming it's legit.

Isn't it odd, though, that if you do buy it, your payment does not go to SDL but to Translated.net.

And Translated.net isn't on the list of authorised resellers:
http://translationzone.com/en/partners/resellers/#tab2

Can SDL Support confirm that licenses bought in such a way will be registered in the name of the freelancer and not in the name of Translated.net?

United Kingdom
English
Translated.net Oct 2, 2012

Hi,

I think this is getting very complicated. Translated.net seem to have already purchased these licenses directly from SDL. They are not a reseller.

They purchased from SDL and have arranged to have a 100% discount code for "their" freelancers who will use this to then "purchase" the software on their own account. So the software will be licensed to the Freelancer even though they make a payment to Translated.net who are not a reseller.

So I guess it's a combination of Translated.net wanting to get their Freelancers upgraded so they can move to this technology more easily themselves and also an opportunity to get more freelancers on their books.

I hope this explains it, but if not I think you need to speak with Translated.net as they will have all the answers.

Regards

Paul

Johannes Mueller  Identity Verified
Germany
Dutch to German
+ ...
If anybody has moe information on this offer- please post it! Oct 2, 2012

It would help a lot!
Best regards
Johannes

Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
What else? Oct 2, 2012

Johannes Mueller wrote:
If anybody has moe information on this offer- please post it!
It would help a lot!

What else do you need to know? The name of the product is mentioned, the price is mentioned, the procedure to follow to place your order is mentioned, the fact the offer is legit is confirmed by SDL itself.

If you think you need the product, and if you think the price is good (it is, IMO), just place your order.

Germany
Dutch to German
+ ...
This is what I would like to know Oct 2, 2012

Sorry!
Everything is clear!
Johannes

[Bearbeitet am 2012-10-02 12:18 GMT]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Agreed... Oct 2, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:
What else do you need to know? The name of the product is mentioned, the price is mentioned, the procedure to follow to place your order is mentioned, the fact the offer is legit is confirmed by SDL itself. ... If you think you need the product, and if you think the price is good (it is, IMO), just place your order.

Dominique, in your opinion, if one already has SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance Plus, is it a better deal to buy this product (EUR 299) or to simply upgrade (EUR 225)? The Translated.net page creates the impression that one normally doesn't get MultiTerm and that one can normally install on just one machine.

Germany
Dutch to German
+ ...
Me again Oct 2, 2012

Hi,

maybe someone already has bought a license from translated.net and can give us the info that everything worked well?

Bye
Johannes

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Upgrading would be better Oct 2, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

Dominique, in your opinion, if one already has SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance Plus, is it a better deal to buy this product (EUR 299) or to simply upgrade (EUR 225)? The Translated.net page creates the impression that one normally doesn't get MultiTerm and that one can normally install on just one machine.

I'm not Dominique, but... the difference between buying a new product and upgrading is that when you upgrade you lose your 2009 licence (you can keep using it on your current machine, but on a new one you will only have the 2011 licence available). If you're not bothered about that (and I don't think it's important) then you're better off upgrading. Note that 2009 came with Trados 2007 bundled and 2011 doesn't. But if you've already got a licence for Trados 2007 you will keep it even if you upgrade because it's a completely separate licence.

MultiTerm comes with all versions of Studio: 2009, 2011, plus and no-plus.

Plus means you are given two licences, so you can run it on a laptop and desktop at the same time.
Without "Plus" you can install it on two machines, but would have to return the licence to switch it to the other machine.

HTH,
Emma

Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
Not as I understand it Oct 2, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

The link at translated.net says:

SDL Trados Studio 2011 Freelance Plus including MultiTerm Desktop

"Plus" means it's for install on two computers. This is confirmed by the list price they mention (875 euros): the list price for the "non-Plus" version would be 845 euros.

It does state explicitly that MultiTerm is included. Well, Paul recently wrote on this forum that MultiTerm is always included with Studio, although this is not obvious when looking at SDL's webstore for freelancers. In that sense, it's a good idea from translated.net to make it clear to everyone.

That said, I believe you would get a better deal by upgrading directly from SDL. Even if the list price for the update is currently 225 euros (I didn't check, but I trust you have verified), it's quite likely you could secure a slightly better deal by waiting until the next offer. For instance, I could upgrade from Studio 2009 Freelance Plus to Studio 2011 Freelance Plus for 202 euros via a special offer that also included three hours worth of online training.

Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
Agreed Oct 2, 2012

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
I'm not Dominique, but...

... you seem to be able to read my mind, which is slightly worrying

Well, I agree with everything you said. I didn't think about "losing" the 2009 license when upgrading, but as you said, you can still keep it on the computers where it's already installed. And I also agree with you there are few advantages (if any) in keeping 2009 if you're getting 2011.

Olly Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
Low rates Oct 2, 2012

One thing I have noted is that they offer members rather low rates (max. EUR0.08/source word). If you sign up just to get Trados cheap, make sure there's no small print insisting you have to actually carry out assignments for the deal to be valid.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

translated.net deal on Studio Freelance

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search