Studio 2009: How can you create a TM using an Excel spreadsheet?
Thread poster: Veronica Coquard

Veronica Coquard
France
Local time: 08:23
French to English
Oct 2, 2012

Hello all,

I have been sent a TM in the form of two columns on an Excel spreadsheet, as the agency I am working for does not have technology compatible with Studio 2009 (they have the 2007 version). They would like me to integrate this into a TM, add my translation to the TM, and send them back the TM and the target translation.

The only part I'm not clear on is the first step: how to get this Excel sheet into a TM. I thought I had learned this, but looking at my notes, I can only see how to get from Excel to a termbase. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[Edited at 2012-10-02 16:06 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Andrey Korobeinikov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:23
English to Russian
+ ...
WinAlign Oct 2, 2012

The only tool I know can help you create a TM would be WinAlign within Trados 2007 kit, which is part of Studio 2009. Create two files: original and translation and align them to create a tmx file, which you will be able to use for importing into your own TM.

pjg111  Identity Verified
Member (2010)
English to French
Topic recently discussed on this forum Oct 2, 2012

Hi Véronica,

The topic was recently discussed on this forum. Search for "Excel" and/or "columns" and/or "translation memory". Sorry for not being more helpful but I'm running after time!

HTH.

Cheers.

Patrick

Veronica Coquard
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Andrey Oct 2, 2012

Thank you for your help. Just one question: When you say create two files, do you mean two Excel files?

Veronica Coquard
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 2, 2012

pjg111 wrote:

Hi Véronica,

The topic was recently discussed on this forum. Search for "Excel" and/or "columns" and/or "translation memory". Sorry for not being more helpful but I'm running after time!

HTH.

Cheers.

Patrick

Ok, will do! Thank you!

pjg111  Identity Verified
Member (2010)
English to French
URL for the relevant past discussion Oct 2, 2012

Véronica COQUARD wrote:

pjg111 wrote:

Hi Véronica,

HTH.

Cheers.

Patrick

Ok, will do! Thank you!

Véronica, here is he URL for the discussion:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/232519-studio_2011:_importing_excel_columns_into_a_tm.html

HTH although it is about Trados Studio 2011.

Cheers.

Patrick

[Edited at 2012-10-02 16:19 GMT]

Veronica Coquard
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again! Oct 2, 2012

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:23
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ask the agency to export to TMX Oct 2, 2012

Another option:

If they have Trados 2007, it would be easy for them to export their TM to a TMX file, which you could then easily import into Studio.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009: How can you create a TM using an Excel spreadsheet?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search