Change segment length in SDL Trados 2009?
Thread poster: rainerik
rainerik

Local time: 02:14
English to Swedish
Oct 3, 2012

Does anyone know if it is possible to change the segment length (from sentence to paragraph) in SDL Trados 2009? How is this done? I have a special editing/translation project which requires me to work with one paragraph at a time, and not just sentence by sentence...

Direct link Reply with quote

Jean-Pierre Artigau
Canada
Local time: 20:14
English to French
+ ...
Join segments Oct 3, 2012

Yes, Trados allows you to "merge" adjacent segments. Click in the first column of your first segment (where the numbers are), then Shift-click in the last segment you want to merge, right-click and choose Merge segments (this is for Trados 2011, but it should work in Trados 2009). This will work only for segments in the same paragraph, without a paragraph mark between them.

Otherwise you might have to change the parameters for segment starts and ends before you start your project.

Jean-Pierre

[Edited at 2012-10-03 17:57 GMT]

rainerik

English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Define segment length already in the set up of a project Oct 4, 2012

Sorry, I was not clear enough. I was hoping there was a way to define length of segments already in the set up of a project... to avoid the extra work.

Thank you, though, for answering!

Rainer

Renée van Bijsterveld  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Segmentation rules Oct 4, 2012

You can set the segmentation rules (File > Setup > Segmentation rules tab) to Full stop (instead of End of paragraph).

rainerik

English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Segmentation rules tab missing Oct 4, 2012

ReneevB wrote:

You can set the segmentation rules (File > Setup > Segmentation rules tab) to Full stop (instead of End of paragraph).

Are you sure you are referring to the setup in SDL Trados Studio 2009? I have no Segmentation rules tab option in my setup. I have the Freelance version, if that makes any difference. Where else can you change the parameters for segments?
Under the File > Setup I have blurred option "Task Sequences..." which don't seem to be available to me.

Renée van Bijsterveld  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
See the Help Oct 8, 2012

I'm sorry, this was for Trados 2007. But in the Help info in Studio 2009 you'll find more info on segmentation rules.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Change segment length in SDL Trados 2009?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search