Noob questions with WinAlign / Termbases and Multiterm / Translation Memories
Thread poster: ND1169
ND1169
Local time: 06:05
English to Japanese
Oct 4, 2012

Hello all! I'm a new translator that will probably be very active on this forum as I get used to things. I just installed the Trados Studio 2011 SP2 trial yesterday and am finally getting used to things. I am running into a couple of problems.

1. I'm looking to create a termbase from an excel file. However, SDL Multiterm seems to be separate from Trados Studio (boo) and doesn't seem to have a 30 day trial that I can find. If I like the software the company is willing to pay for it but I don't want to commit yet if I can't even try it properly first.

Would it be better to add these terms into my translation memory instead?

There are almost 1000 technical terms in this file and they have 3 sections which look like this.

Abbreviation English Japanese
2D Drawing - 2 dimensional 図面-2次元

2. I have some previously translated files that were outsourced to an unknown company that are in pdfs that I would like to incorporate into my new translation memory I have made. However both the English and Japanese are in the same pdf file.

Should I just open the pdf and translate the file going 1 by 1 copying and pasting and confirming the translations? Seems like a bit of a time waster but not too difficult.

Or could I use winalign and select the same file as both target and source and go from there?

Thanks for any and all help.

Direct link Reply with quote

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Please kindly stay on point: the poster's question concerns Studio 2011 and not buying/using other tools. Thank you.

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:05
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Some answers below Oct 4, 2012

1. If you can't get Multiterm or someone to create the termbase for you, then I guess you could add your terms to your TM, but remember that a translation memory and a termbase are intended for two different things, i.e., if you have the term "2D Drawing" come up in the middle of a longer segment, for example, "A 2D Drawing should be prepared for every project", and you have the term "2D Drawing" in a Multiterm termbase, then you can easily enter its translation into your segment and see it in the termbase viewer for reference.
But if you have the segment "2D Drawing" in your translation memory with the corresponding translation, when the phrase "A 2D Drawing should be prepared for every project" comes up, that previous segment won't help much because the match value would be too low, although you could still do a concordance search, but that would quickly prove impractical if you had to do it for every single segment. So, my suggestion at the trial stage, if you have anybody who can set up the basic termbase for you, that's the best way to go, then you can feed it as you go.

2. In WinAlign, if you open the same file for source and target (save it once for target and once for source under different names so it's not the same file with the exact same name, as I don't even know if this would be possible), you could then manually decide which phrases in the source go with which phrases in the target, you manually "connect" individual phrases and leave everything else "disconnected". So in theory, yes, you could use a single bilingual file to do the alignment. However, connecting phrases one by one will be time-consuming if the file is long.

If you're new to Studio, maybe you will find these blog posts about WinAlign and Multiterm useful:

http://noradiaz.blogspot.mx/2011/08/how-to-create-multiterm-termbase-to-use.html

http://noradiaz.blogspot.mx/2011/08/using-winalign-to-add-previously.html

[Edited at 2012-10-04 18:50 GMT]

ND1169
Local time: 06:05
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
crash in winalign Oct 9, 2012

Thanks for the reply. Especially the clarification between what would happen if I put the terms in the TM instead of a TB. That was very helpful!

Alas, I've run into more problems that don't seem to be uncommon to other users on here.

Winalign = crash

First it doesn't support .pdfs ... but the bigger problem is crashing. At about 18% when exporting my .tmx file, the program just crashes with no error code or anything. Try re-opening the project files and the same crash occurs. This is with .ppts but the previous .ppt had no problems. Is there anything that can be done with the project files with other software, or am I out of luck and wasted my time?

Carmen Munteanu  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2012)
English to Italian
+ ...
WinAlign and Studio 2011 Oct 10, 2012

Hello,

I have just installed Studio 2011 Professional without previous Studio 2007/2009 installments.
How can I get to use WinAlign? I need it for an urgent project.
Thank you.
Carmen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Noob questions with WinAlign / Termbases and Multiterm / Translation Memories

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search