Creating filters by missing custom field values in Studio 2011
Thread poster: yllea

yllea
Local time: 10:42
English to Estonian
+ ...
Oct 4, 2012

Hi!
I have just purchased SDL Studio 2011 and would like to do some TM maintenance. I am having trouble finding a way to filter out content by a certain custom field. When I click "Add filter" and then "Add condition", I can select a field, for example "Document" and I can look for a certain value by applying "Equal to" and "Contains".
The problem is, however, that I'd like to look for fields with missing content, i.e. where in my case the field "Document" has no value but is empty. I used to work with Trados 8 before and there you could type "*" for any content and "!*" for missing content.
Is there a way to do it in Studio 2011 too?
Thanks in advance for any tips!
Ülle

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:42
English
Interesting query... Oct 4, 2012

... and in the absence of any better ideas here's what I can suggest (it might be a little longwinded if you have a lot of fields).

Create a filter for one of the fields like this:

Then look at the fields still displaying and add another:

Then another...

... and so on until there are none left. If you don't have too many fields, and if you know what fields should be in there (a large TM could be tricky if the fields are free text) then this might be workable.

Otherwise another option is to export to TMX using the TM Management Tool so the TMX is in a 2007 format and the fields are recognised by workbench and then use workbench to filter out the TUs... then import the resultant filtered TMX into Studio applying the fields you need as you go.

There may be a cleverer way to do this that I am not aware of so I will try to find out tomorrow... but in the meantime perhaps this will be helpful.

You can find the tool I mentioned here:

http://www.translationzone.com/en/openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=187

Regards

Paul

yllea
Local time: 10:42
English to Estonian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, will try Oct 5, 2012

Dear Paul,
Thanks a lot for your quick reply and valuable tips. The workaround sounds a bit complicated but I'll see what I can do. I've also downloaded the tool and will see if I can make it work.
Cheers,
Ülle

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating filters by missing custom field values in Studio 2011

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search