different costs for upgrading from Trados 2007 Suite Freelance to Trados Studio Freelance Plus
Thread poster: gradara
gradara
Italy
Local time: 03:59
German to Italian
Oct 4, 2012

Hallo, everybody!
I'm writing to point out what I've realized just a few minutes ago. I was surfing on the turmoiled waters of purchasing/upgrading a licence for Trados Studio 2011 and I happened to find out two different prices for upgrading from suite freelance 2007 (which I own) to studio 2001 freelance plus. SDL offers that for 315 €, while the Italian reseller (vertere) does it for 199 €. I'm a little bit confused and I don't know how to cope with the matter. Has anybody got more information on this issue? Is it ok with the upgrading or would it be better to purchase a licence from scratch?

Thank you for your answers, if any

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:59
Finnish to French
buy upgrade, not new license Oct 4, 2012

gradara wrote:
Is it ok with the upgrading or would it be better to purchase a licence from scratch?

Why would you want to purchase a brand-new license, which will cost you anything from 300 to 900 euros, if you can get the same product as an upgrade for less than 200 euros?

gradara
Italy
German to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
still a question on upgrading Oct 5, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

gradara wrote:
Is it ok with the upgrading or would it be better to purchase a licence from scratch?

Why would you want to purchase a brand-new license, which will cost you anything from 300 to 900 euros, if you can get the same product as an upgrade for less than 200 euros?

Dominique, thanks a lot for your advice, but it is not very clear to me what kind of upgrading should I do. In the FAQs of the translation zone I read about upgrading from Trados Suite Freelance 2007 to Studio 2011 freelance plus (but it is not specified if it contains itself a Suite Freelance 2007 or not). Moreover, I would like to put the upgraded version on my new pc (Windows 7) and leave the 2007 version (running under Vista) on the old one but I don't know whether it is possible.

Sorry to bother you once again, but your advice would be precious....

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Quick clarification Oct 5, 2012

Hi,

If you already have 2007 Suite then an upgrade to 2011 will not remove your ability to continue using 2007 Suite. So there is no need for you to repurchase 2007 Suite.

If you only had Trados 2007 and not the Suite version then this would be different as you would be recommended to purchase the Suite as well for compatibility reasons.

Regards

Paul

Finnish to French
Studio 2011 vs. Trados 2007 Oct 5, 2012

gradara wrote:
Dominique, thanks a lot for your advice, but it is not very clear to me what kind of upgrading should I do. In the FAQs of the translation zone I read about upgrading from Trados Suite Freelance 2007 to Studio 2011 freelance plus (but it is not specified if it contains itself a Suite Freelance 2007 or not).

Unless otherwise mentioned, Studio 2011 does not include 2007. There are Studio packages that include Suite 2007, but they cost significantly more. Since you already have 2007, I don't see the need for you to buy it again. I'm not sure I agree with Paul about the advantage of having Suite 2007 rather than just Trados 2007 (if this is what you have), unless you specifically need items like SDLX that are not included in what you have.
gradara wrote:
Moreover, I would like to put the upgraded version on my new pc (Windows 7) and leave the 2007 version (running under Vista) on the old one but I don't know whether it is possible.

If/when you upgrade from 2007 to Studio 2011, you don't lose your ability to continue using 2007, whether on your existing PC or on a new one (side-by-side with 2011).
The situation is different when upgrading from Studio 2009 to Studio 2011, where you lose your 2009 license (though you can continue using it on the PC on which it was installed prior to upgrading).
In other words, your right to use 2007 is permanent, and you can transfer it to a new PC later on if needed, something you can't do with Studio 2009 once you have upgraded to 2011).

gradara
Italy
German to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
thanks a lot Oct 5, 2012

Thanks for clarifying. So I'll purchase an upgrade and install it on the new machine, while leaving SDL Suite Freelance 2007 on the old one. Am I right?
I just don't understand why prices on the official site differ from the site "vertere"?!
Could you explain that to me or am I asking too much?

Thanks a lot anyway for the prompt answer

Finnish to French
Price variations Oct 5, 2012

gradara wrote:
Thanks for clarifying. So I'll purchase an upgrade and install it on the new machine, while leaving SDL Suite Freelance 2007 on the old one. Am I right?

At least you're not wrong, and it will be perfectly possible, both technically and legally. You can also migrate your copy of 2007 to the new computer if you wish. 2007 and 2011 are two separate programs and they will cohabit on the same machine.
gradara wrote:
I just don't understand why prices on the official site differ from the site "vertere"?!
Could you explain that to me or am I asking too much?

It's a free world: resellers have some freedom to price products the way they want.
For the same reason, you can get Studio 2011 for 299 euros via translated.net, or 456 euros via proZ, or 875 euros via translationzone.com, if no special deal is going on. It can pay to shop around.

Also see my recent video:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2012/09/26/total-cost-of-ownership-of-mainstream-cat-tools-for-freelancers-over-6-years/

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Compatibility reasons for upgrading from Trados 2007 Oct 5, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

I'm not sure I agree with Paul about the advantage of having Suite 2007 rather than just Trados 2007 (if this is what you have), unless you specifically need items like SDLX that are not included in what you have.

Hi Dominique,

In this case the user has Suite, so no worries. But to address this comment specifically... if you have Trados 2007 (not suite) installed and you install Studio then the installer will not install some of the assemblies as they are already there. The result is that when you are carrying out some operations in Studio that rely on these there is a risk that they will fail because Trados 2007 is a version containing problems that were fixed in Suite.

Obviously it would be better if Studio could recognise that there is an older version installed and not the latest version... but for these components it doesn't.

So I would stand by my recommendation unless you don't need to use Trados 2007 anymore in which case you should uninstall Trados 2007 before installing Studio and then the correct assemblies will be installed.

Regards

Paul

gradara
Italy
German to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Dominique, thank you Paul Oct 5, 2012

Thanks so much for your explanation. Now I can take my decision. Have a nice weekend

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

different costs for upgrading from Trados 2007 Suite Freelance to Trados Studio Freelance Plus

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search