Suzanne Deveson  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:47
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Oct 5, 2012

Hello,

Could someone please tell me what the best method is of upgrading my TM's from SDL Trados 2006 (Workbench 7.5.0.756 - Build 756) to SDL Trados 2007 Suite and Studio 2011?

I would like to use both versions on the same machine. I have just bought a new PC (Windows 7 Professional 64 BIT, Office 2010, and will install both Trados 2007 and Studio 2011 on it.

I tried reading the upgrading manual, but found it rather confusing, especially the bit about upgrading segmentation rules. Is this necessary?

Should I simply open the TM's in Trados 2007 Suite and reorganise them (after which, presumably, I should also be able to import them in Studio 2011?) or is it better to use an export in TMX 1.4b format and create new TM's?

Also I read somewhere I should install 2007 first. Is that right?

I would really appreciate your advice!

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Upgrading TMs in Studio 2011 Oct 5, 2012

Hi Suzanne,

Simply upgrading a Translation Memory is simple as you probably found out. You just use Tools - Upgrade Translation Memories and click through the wizard. It's the choices you have to make along the way that may require a little thought first (although none of this is undoable as the upgrade won't remove the originals).

First I would recommend you uninstall the old version of Trados and then install Studio so that the more recent Trados 2007 assemblies are installed. You don't need to have Trados installed at all for this process if you have Studio 2011 but you should make sure that the correct 2007 components that Studio uses are the most recent and Studio will do this for you if you don't already have Trados installed.

The decisions for you are these:

1. What sort of files are you translating most of the time?
2. Do I want to take over language resources or not?
3. Do you want to merge your upgraded translations in some way?
4. Did you use Fields and Attributes in your legacy TMs and do you want these in Studio?

The "Compatibility" tab in the wizard offers three options for upgrading your TM:

The choice you make will influence how the Translation is upgraded to try and maximise the leverage you get from this old TM when working in Studio. So the first one is relevant if most of your work is translating from source documents that have not been prepared in another tool (so not TTX or Bilingual Doc for example) and it will upgrade the memory to better reflect how the material is handled using the new Studio filters. The second will try to leave the TM as close as possible to the original format with a few changes to reflect how Studio uses the new bilingual filters and also a few fixes to obvious errors that were in the old formats. The last one is a mix and match where you get the best of both worlds. So if you had a sentence that was handled differently in option 1 and option 2 then using option 3 would store two sentences in the TM for Studio to use. It won't do this in every case, only when there are clear differences in the way the sentences are handled.

My advice to you would be to upgrade your old TMs and only use these as reference TMs for look up. So this way if you wanted you could upgrade one using option #1 and another as option #2 because they will never change now and just add the appropriate one for look up depending on the material you are working with.

The second thing is only relevant to you if you had customised the language resources and you want these to be used in Studio. So for example if you had long variable lists then you could create a TM in Studio that used these long lists. I wrote a blog article on this part here that might be helpful : http://t.co/Z0ApoMwr

The third point relates to how many TMs you have and whether you merge them or not. No advice one way or the other unless yo have different language resources in each one. In this case I would upgrade them all individually as you can use as many TMs as you like on Studio anyway.

The last one relates to how Studio handles fieds and attributes. So the "Fields" tab next to "Compatibility" will show you how Studio intends to handle the fields in the TM when you upgrade but basically if you upgrade multiple TMs that contain the same field name, but they are different types (picklist vs text for example) then this will result in Studio renaming one of them for the upgrade. If they have the same field name, are the same type, but have different properties (multiple values vs single value or different single values for example) then Studio will retain all the values and create a multiple value property instead. The best thing to do is start the process and look at this tab because you will see what's happening before you do it.

This isn't supposed to be a really comprehensive answer as the migration guide is actually pretty good... I think... but perhaps reading this as well might make it a little easier to follow?

Regards

Paul

Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 5, 2012

Hi Paul,

Thank you so much for your detailed answer. I really appreciate your help.

I take it your advice is mainly about Studio 2011?

My upgrade included a full licence to 2007, and I'd like to get that up and running first. I want to learn a bit more about Studio before I rely on it completely for my work, but I will refer to your detailed instructions when I get to upgrading my TM's in 2011.

For 2007, is the process (even) simpler? Can I just open the TM's in 2007 and reorganise them?

Best regards,

Suzanne

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Yep.... Oct 5, 2012

Suzanne Deveson wrote:

For 2007, is the process (even) simpler? Can I just open the TM's in 2007 and reorganise them?

Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 5, 2012

Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best method to upgrade TM's to 2007 and 2011

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search