Usage of Workbench vs TagEditor
Thread poster: kb1234
kb1234

Local time: 09:53
Oct 6, 2012

Dear all,
I am fairly new to Trados and I need some help on how to use the software. A client sent me a Word document for transaltion and he advises me to use "Word and Workbench and NOT TagEditor.

When I open the file I see a lot of tags, and lots of them right in the middle of words, which obviously does not make sense. Could anyone please advise me on how to properly open and prepare this word file in Trados according to the above instructions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, K.

Direct link Reply with quote

Vesselka Raykov  Identity Verified
Spain
Bulgarian to Spanish
+ ...
How to remove tags Oct 6, 2012

Hi kb1234,

Before you start translating, regardless of the software you choose, you have to clean the document, otherwise there are tags, and lots of them "right in the middle of words", as you say.
To do this, I recommend you select all the text, cut and paste without format. It's faster and it saves you a lot of work.

If you prefer to preserve formatting, you have to activate the symbol (¶) and go line by line repairing the entire document.

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:53
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Where are you opening your file? Oct 7, 2012

The fact that you can see tags in the middle of words makes me wonder whether you're opening the file in TagEditor, as this doesn't happen in Workbench.

If you are new to Trados, maybe this can help uderstand the difference between TagEditor and Workbench:

http://noradiaz.blogspot.mx/2012/08/translating-word-and-powerpoint-files.html

[Edited at 2012-10-07 00:52 GMT]

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:53
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
You mean Word Oct 7, 2012

When translating in Word you do not see the tags, only the effect they have on the layout etc. In word you see text in italics, not the tags for italics etc.
You use Workbench also with Tageditor, or where would the TM be without WB? If you use Wordfast Classics you work only in Word, because WFC can do without a seperate application like WB for Trados.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:53
Finnish to French
CodeZapper Oct 7, 2012

kb1234 wrote:
When I open the file I see a lot of tags, and lots of them right in the middle of words, which obviously does not make sense. Could anyone please advise me on how to properly open and prepare this word file in Trados according to the above instructions?

Even though you are seeing tags in the middle of words when using TagEditor and you're supposed to use Word instead, you will probably want to process your document before starting to translate it. One way to do it is to use CodeZapper.

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:53
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Right: Word Oct 7, 2012

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

When translating in Word you do not see the tags, only the effect they have on the layout etc. In word you see text in italics, not the tags for italics etc.
You use Workbench also with Tageditor, or where would the TM be without WB? If you use Wordfast Classics you work only in Word, because WFC can do without a seperate application like WB for Trados.

You're right, my mistake. : )

I meant Word.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Usage of Workbench vs TagEditor

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search