https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/234490-studio_2011_wordcount_excluding_locked_segments.html

Studio 2011 - Wordcount excluding locked segments
Thread poster: Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Local time: 10:46
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Oct 7, 2012

I would like to know if it is possible to do a wordcount excluding locked segments or a wordcount where certain segments can be excluded from the count.

I need this, because I have been sent a TTX file where some segments are not to be translated. I want to know how many words I translated and how many repetitions there are, because the agency seems to have sent me a wrong wordcount.

I know of the possibility of using hidden text in word documents, but as I have TTX fil
... See more
I would like to know if it is possible to do a wordcount excluding locked segments or a wordcount where certain segments can be excluded from the count.

I need this, because I have been sent a TTX file where some segments are not to be translated. I want to know how many words I translated and how many repetitions there are, because the agency seems to have sent me a wrong wordcount.

I know of the possibility of using hidden text in word documents, but as I have TTX files here, I can't use this.

Kind regards
Anna Sarah
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:46
English
Use the Legacy Converter Oct 7, 2012

Hi,

Use the SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter to export only unlocked segments, or segments that have a particular status, then add the resultant TTX back into Studio or Workbench and do the wordcount.

http://www.translationzone.com/en/openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=194

O
... See more
Hi,

Use the SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter to export only unlocked segments, or segments that have a particular status, then add the resultant TTX back into Studio or Workbench and do the wordcount.

http://www.translationzone.com/en/openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=194

Only takes a minute.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Anthony Fitzgerald
Anthony Fitzgerald
Ireland
Local time: 09:46
Option to exclude locked strings Jan 23, 2014

Hi Paul,

Having a workaround is ok, but its not an ideal solution, especially when working with loads of different projects with loads of languages with hundreds of files...

This can be a pain in the ass sometimes, there are many occasions when you want to exclude certain strings or sometimes binary info that gets parsed in which you can't prevent easily, and you don't want this included in the word count.

Also I don't think "Locked" is the correct status
... See more
Hi Paul,

Having a workaround is ok, but its not an ideal solution, especially when working with loads of different projects with loads of languages with hundreds of files...

This can be a pain in the ass sometimes, there are many occasions when you want to exclude certain strings or sometimes binary info that gets parsed in which you can't prevent easily, and you don't want this included in the word count.

Also I don't think "Locked" is the correct status to use either, as this is usually intended to Lock verified translations which you don't want changed, which is why they are included in the word count.

I think it would be better to add another Segment Status called "Not Translateable" or "DNT" or something like that.

However the best place for this to be applied would be to the prepped source files so that all the changes would be applied to all the other languages, but you can't open the source files in Studio.

It would be amazing if you could implement this, similar to how Passolo process flow works. It is more logical and would save tons of time for the CAT engineer prepping the files.

I know its a massive change, can you suggest it to the Devs anyways

Cheers,
Anthony.

[Edited at 2014-01-23 13:07 GMT]
Collapse

Anthony Fitzgerald
Anthony Fitzgerald
Ireland
Local time: 09:46
Option to exclude locked strings Jan 23, 2014

Hi Paul,

Also I don't think "Locked" is the correct status
... See more
Hi Paul,

Also I don't think "Locked" is the correct status to use either, as this is usually intended to Lock verified translations which you don't want changed, which is why they are included in the word count.

I think it would be betted to add another Segment Status called "Not Translateable" or "DNT" or something like that.

However the best place for this to be applied would be to the prepped source files so that all the changes would be applied to all the other languages, but you can't open the source files in Studio.

It would be amazing if you could implement this, similar to how Passolo process flow works. It is more logical and would save tons of time for the CAT engineer prepping the files.

I know its a massive change, can you suggest it to the Devs anyways

Cheers,
Anthony.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 - Wordcount excluding locked segments

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »