Thread poster: Marketing-Lang.
Marketing-Lang.  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:51
English to German
+ ...
Oct 8, 2012

Dear all,
My question refers to the use of the SDLXLIFF Convert tool (which is also integrated into Studio 2011) to work with translators who do NOT have Studio (yes, there are some...

MemoQ (sorry to mention the competition) allows a Word table to be exported so that a translator without MemoQ can fill out the table, which is the imported back into the program (for review, etc.).

I know that Studio 2011 does offer a similar feature, but for external review only, not translation. My attempts to "abuse" Studio to this end resulted in abject failure -- the translated segments simply do not import.

Does anybody have a workflow that operates successully?

It would be a help, because there are some very good tranlsators out there who do not use SDL (or any form or CAT software, for that matter.)

Thanks,
-Mike-

Direct link Reply with quote

Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
A few points to consider Oct 8, 2012

We are using this feature extensively and it works like a charm. There are a few things you can do:

1) Use the SDLXLIFF Converter. The stand alone version seems to be more robust than the built in version.
2) Make sure that the format of your docx was not changed during the process. This also applies if it was opened and saved from within Word 2003. In this case, just copy the translation column from the document that you got back from your translator into the corresponding column in the file you created with the converter.
3) Make sure that there is no Word ghost instance/process in your memory. If there is one, kill it.

Points 2 and 3 are the only issues we had with this workflow. By using the external SDLXLIFF converter you might be able to cirumvent these problems. I prefer using the internal converter, and just apply step 2 and 3 if required.

J Fox  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 13:51
German to English
+ ...
Here's the proces Oct 8, 2012

Hi, I've written up this process in a couple of blog posts. Here's how to use the SDL XLIFF converter:

http://foxdocs.biz/BetweenTranslations/how-to-review-a-translation-in-ms-word-and-import-changes-to-trados-studio/

And here's how to do this with Trados Studio 2011 SP2:

http://foxdocs.biz/BetweenTranslations/export-translation-from-trados-studio-for-external-review-in-word/

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jayne, thanks Siegfried -- however... Oct 9, 2012

Thanks Jayne, thanks Siegfried -- however...

My question was about "abusing" this feature for translation, and _not_ about using it for review.
-M-

Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Yes - I was talking about "Translation" Oct 9, 2012

This feature allows various innovative scenarious - translating - by a translator is just one of them. And as I said, we are using this feature extensively.

Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Yes, working perfectly here as well Oct 9, 2012

... for processing in Deja Vu X2.
But many competitors do offer quite mature filters for SDLXLIFF as well in the meantime.

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hmm, all very interesting... Oct 9, 2012

... but it doesn't work for me...
I exported a file for a translation. When importing (with the integrated 2011 function) everything seemed to go OK, but when I opened the XLIFF in Studio, the untranslated segements were still empty. Going through the same procedure with the XLIFF converter was equally fruitless. So I then edited the "Not translated" segment statuses into "Translated (100%)", hoping to dupe Studio -- still to no effect, the untranslated segments were still empty. I've tried it with 2009 and 2011, and I simply cannot import a whole file full of translations. I tried the whole thing again today, while observing Siegrfied's tips.

I know that the procedure works for normal review work, I do that on a daily basis. But if the translation trick is working for everybody else, maybe I'm just out of luck...
-M-

[Edited at 2012-10-09 18:44 GMT]

Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
You might be missing one small detail Oct 9, 2012

This post by Paul Filkin, might give you some idea what you need to do, or what you missed.
http://tech.dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/message/56683

Load your Word file in Trados
Copy source to target
Export for External review
Load your Word file
Delete entries in Target row
Have your translator enter his/her translation in the empty target column
Update your SDLXLIFF file from your translated Word file

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Siegfried, thank you! Oct 11, 2012

That worked! So the key is that there may not be any empty segments in the file being updated after "review". Good to know!
Thanks again.
-Mike-

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating outside of Studio?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search