Thread poster: Richard Hill

Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:47
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Oct 8, 2012

Hi,

I'm using Trados Studio 2011 and can no longer see comments added in Studio in the saved Word file.
Is there a new setting for this?
Any ideas?

Thanks,

Rich

Tatiana Nikitina  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:47
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
This option was disabled Oct 8, 2012

They switched this option off in Septembericon_frown.gif

[Редактировалось 2012-10-08 17:26 GMT]

Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:47
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
SDL: why was this function disabled? Oct 8, 2012

Thanks for the reply Tatiana!

Anyone know why this function was disabled and whether it will be enable in the future?

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:47
Finnish to French
Mentioned in Emma's blog Oct 8, 2012

Tatiana Nikitina wrote:
They switched this option off in Septembericon_frown.gif

Yes, see Retain Comments in Translated File: Faded into oblivion in Emma's blog.

J Fox  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 17:47
German to English
+ ...
You may be able to reinstall the previous version Oct 8, 2012

I had the exe file for the previous version of SP2 so I uninstalled Trados Studio and reinstalled the previous version:

http://foxdocs.biz/BetweenTranslations/current-issues-with-exporting-comments-from-trados-studio-to-ms-word/

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:47
English
It will be re-enabled Oct 8, 2012

rich. wrote:

Thanks for the reply Tatiana!

Anyone know why this function was disabled and whether it will be enable in the future?

Hi,

This was removed because it was unfinished, but it will be back and better in the next release scheduled for later this year.

Regards

Paul

septima
puzzled Oct 9, 2012

SDL Support wrote: ...it was unfinished, but it will be back and better

Great. But why remove it altogether in the interim?

United Kingdom
English
It was removed because... Oct 9, 2012

septima wrote:

SDL Support wrote: ...it was unfinished, but it will be back and better

Great. But why remove it altogether in the interim?

... it is linked to something else that is incomplete. If you noted the original release was also incomplete because you could not turn it off... now there is more functionality involved and it was thought to be more of a cause for support calls than otherwise so the decision was made to temporarily remove it.

You can easily export the comments in excel or a two-column word export as well to accompany the target file... but I do appreciate it is not the same. Of course if you use the word export you can also make changes and import them back in too... so in many ways a better solution.

I think the main point is that we did not remove it for fun... clearly it's not fun. The development team, who are more aware of the implications had they left it in, decided it was in the best interests of all users for this to be temporarily disabled. So apologies for the inconvenience this is causing you if you used this feature a lot, but it will be back soon and with all functionality intact.

Regards

Paul

Alexa Dubreuil  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:47
Member (2004)
English to French
+ ...
"Retain comments" is back in Studio 2011 but how to disable it? Nov 4, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

This was removed because it was unfinished, but it will be back and better in the next release scheduled for later this year.
Regards
Paul

Hi Paul

I have noticed that the “retain comments in translated file” option (under "MS Word 2007-2013" file type) was brought back in one of the recent cumulative update (probably with CU12 released on 23 October 2013).

Can you tell us if there are any plans in the near future to let users choose whether to enable or disable this option? Why is this option greyed out?

Every translator has different needs and preferences and I was happy when this option was removed. Here is why:

1) Retaining the comments disrupts my two French spell checking tools (Antidote and ProLexis), which I run in the translated files . Those tools try to check the spelling in the comments which is irrelevant as my comments are in English. So each time I have to delete all comments before running my spell checkers which is a waste of time.

2) Comments get in the way when I just want to quickly view the translated file in order to check the layout/formatting for instance. (I am aware of the "Preview" option in Studio but I prefer to view the files externally as I often translate very large documents and generating such previews in Studio tends to be slower than just opening the file in Word).

3) To manage my comments and send the relevant ones to my clients I use the Export for External Review feature. My translations are in French and most of my clients don't understand French so it's important for them to see my comments with both the English and French segments. So when I need to send some comments to my clients I deliver both files (translated file + Export for External review).

This last point is actually what you suggested in another thread: "You can still include them as word comments in the Export for External review so perhaps sending both documents will be helpful?", http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/233228-warning:_new_update_to_sdl_trados_2011_removes_export_comments_to_translation_feature.html

I hope that you can take all the above into account and possibly allow the "retain comments" feature to be an option that users can choose to turn on or off.

Does Studio 2014 allows for this flexibility to enable/disable comments in the translated file?

Thank you

Regards
Alexa

United Kingdom
English
On comments... Nov 4, 2013

Alexa Dubreuil wrote:

Can you tell us if there are any plans in the near future to let users choose whether to enable or disable this option? Why is this option greyed out?

Does Studio 2014 allows for this flexibility to enable/disable comments in the translated file?

Hi Alexa,

On the first point... it was removed in 2011 because they were part of a wider piece of functionality that was incomplete. In order to avoid maintaining two streams of code the functionality was disabled until the work was complete as some users were unhappy about not being able to switch this comment export off.

On the second point, and to complete the answer to the first, this was reintroduced and improved for 2014. You can extract comments as either translatable text or as Studio comments; and you have the option to retain Studio target comments in the target file.

Regards

Paul

Alexa Dubreuil  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:47
Member (2004)
English to French
+ ...
Will it be possible to disable it in Studio 2011? Nov 4, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

On the first point... it was removed in 2011 because they were part of a wider piece of functionality that was incomplete. In order to avoid maintaining two streams of code the functionality was disabled until the work was complete as some users were unhappy about not being able to switch this comment export off.

Thank you Paul.

About Studio 2011: are there any plans in the near future to let users choose whether to enable or disable this option? Mine is still greyed out and I can't disable it.

Alexa

United Kingdom
English
Studio 2014 only... Nov 4, 2013

... as this is part of bigger changes that are not ported back to Studio 2011.

Regards

Paul

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Question for Paul Nov 4, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

it was removed in 2011 because they were part of a wider piece of functionality that was incomplete. In order to avoid maintaining two streams of code the functionality was disabled until the work was complete as some users were unhappy about not being able to switch this comment export off.

Has the feature to retain comments in the target file been brought back intentionally or by accident in Studio 2011 CU12?
Just wondering, because it was deliberately disabled in later versions of SP2 as you explain above, and now it is enabled and can't be switched off.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No longer see comments in Word

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search