Studio 2011 always insert a space between numbers and "GB" or "MB"
Thread poster: tz7
tz7
tz7
United States
Local time: 20:12
English to Japanese
Oct 9, 2012

I don't use a space between numbers and unit such as MB and GB, because of the client's request. So I am translating "8 GB" as "8GB". My TM has these translation. But Studio always tries to insert a space. The TM shows my translation "8GB" but it insert it as "8 GB". I had to delete the space. If I have a table containing "4 GB", "8 GB", "12 GB"..., Studio automatically inserts "4 GB", "8 GB", "12 GB"... even if the TM shows "4GB", "8GB", "12GB"... When I delete the space from "4 GB", "8 GB", "1... See more
I don't use a space between numbers and unit such as MB and GB, because of the client's request. So I am translating "8 GB" as "8GB". My TM has these translation. But Studio always tries to insert a space. The TM shows my translation "8GB" but it insert it as "8 GB". I had to delete the space. If I have a table containing "4 GB", "8 GB", "12 GB"..., Studio automatically inserts "4 GB", "8 GB", "12 GB"... even if the TM shows "4GB", "8GB", "12GB"... When I delete the space from "4 GB", "8 GB", "12 GB"... and confirm "4GB", then "8GB", "12GB"... are reverted back to "8 GB", "12 GB"...
Studio is so stubborn. Is there any option controling this behavior?

[Edited at 2012-10-09 19:42 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:12
English
Configuring measurements Oct 9, 2012

Hi,

The default uses the same spacing as the source document so this is why you keep getting this. Try the next option, or even set it to always add a space for the Projects you do for this client:

Note that to access this option you will be in the specific language pair, and not All language Pairs.

Regards

Paul

tz7
tz7
United States
Local time: 20:12
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
This is exactly what I should have set! Oct 10, 2012

Thank you for your advice. I didn't know there was an option for that! Thanks again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 always insert a space between numbers and "GB" or "MB"

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »