Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Generating unclean file using Trados 2011 that can be opened in older versions of Trados
Thread poster: steph_cuevas

steph_cuevas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:25
English to Tagalog
+ ...
Oct 9, 2012

Greetings everyone!

I work with my translation projects using Trados version 2011. Most of my clients use older versions of Trados particularly 2007 version. One client of mine in particular, sends me original source files in Word .doc format. My problem is that whenever I create a bilingual file, they revert back to me and asks me to send another bilingual file because they can't update the TM in their 2007 trados version. They said some tags are invalid.

I also tried to use the Legacy converter but still doesn't work.

Would there be a way I can create a bilingual (unclean) file which older versions of Trados can open/use?


Thank you in advance for your help.


Best regards,
Stephanie


 

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:25
English
Working with legacy formats Oct 9, 2012

Hi,

If your client is using an older version of Trados 2007 and wants to be able to clean up the files themselves then the best approach is to ask them to create the bilingual file for you first, making sure that they segment unknown sentences so you have a fully segmented file to translate in Studio.

If they won't do this then you could ask whether it is possible for you to provide them with a bilingual doc created with the SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter and the final target file, or a TMX and the final target file so they can avoid tag problems in cleaning up the file.

In reality I think that if they have an older version of the tools then you should provide you with the bilingual file to translate... or a version of the software old enough to be compatible.

Regards

Paul


 

steph_cuevas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:25
English to Tagalog
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your response Oct 9, 2012

Hi,

First of all thank you very much for your response.

Basically what they send me is a table form source file with all the English texts found in the left hand column and the right hand column left blank. They ask me to use Trados so I can update the TM they provide me with and send them a bilingual file in .doc format. Because they need to update their own TM with my translations. In my previous projects with them, they were able to update their TMs using the bilingual .doc file from SDLXIFF but with this previous project which quite has many formatting tags, it seemed they are having difficulties updating their TM with the file I sent them.

I tried to send them a .ttx file. Wherein I converted the .sdlxiff to .ttx file using legacy converter. Do you think I can use this in this matter and for my future projects? Would there be an option that I can use in so that the files I create will be compatible with older versions of Trados?

This is the usual problem I face when clients use an older version and I am using the latest one.

I'd greatly appreciate your response. Thank you.

Best,
Stephanie


 

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:25
English
What do you mean by table form doc? Oct 9, 2012

Hi,

Is this just the layout of the doc or are you supposed to enter target translations into the right?

Anyway... I would suggest you try sending them a TMX as this may be easier for them to use to update their TMs. You can also provide this for the files you translate using the Legacy Converter.

Regards

Paul


 

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:25
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Table + Unclean file Oct 10, 2012

I have a client who requests the same thing: the target entered into a column in the right, in bilingual Trados 2007 format.

I usually copy the column with the source text to a new document, make a bilingual file (using Trados 2007), translate it in Studio, create the target bilingual file, then copy the column and paste it in the required location in the original file. The process is a bit more convoluted than I'd like, but the client insists on getting unclean files like this so that they can a) provide that to their editors and then b) updated their TM with the edited file.

If you don't have Trados 2007 to prepare the bilingual file yourself, definitely ask the client if they can provide a presegmented file for you to work with. It takes only a few seconds for them to do this and it will ensure compatibility with their process.


 

yllea
Local time: 12:25
English to Estonian
+ ...
How do you create a bilingual .doc file after translating in Studio 2011? Oct 10, 2012

Hi!
I have a similar problem. My client provides me with a bilingual file generated by an older version of Trados. But this file is not in table format but running text where source and target segments are separated by tags (in their version the target segment is identical with the source segment). What they want from me is a translated bilingual .doc file in exactly the same format. How can I produce it?
So far I have translated the source file in Studio and then copy-pasted the translation sentence by sentence into the bilingual .doc file. However, this solution is not viable at all as I really don't have the time for this. This workaround is also error-prone as I could accidentally delete something or misplace a sentence etc.
I would be grateful for a faster solution suggestion.
Ülle


 

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:25
English
Why not just... Oct 10, 2012

... open the bilingual doc file they give you in Studio? You translate it; then when you save the target the file what you get is the bilingual doc file you need.

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2012-10-10 07:27 GMT]


 

yllea
Local time: 12:25
English to Estonian
+ ...
I did not realize it was that easy Oct 10, 2012

Thanks Paul! If I had known it earlier!icon_smile.gif It seems to work indeed.
Cheers,
ülle


 
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Initial post removed

steph_cuevas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:25
English to Tagalog
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, right hand column needs to be filled with translations Oct 10, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

Hi,

Is this just the layout of the doc or are you supposed to enter target translations into the right?

Anyway... I would suggest you try sending them a TMX as this may be easier for them to use to update their TMs. You can also provide this for the files you translate using the Legacy Converter.

Regards

Paul


Hi Paul,

Thank you for your response. Yes, the right hand column is where the target translations need to be placed. Do you mean to send them a TMX TM?


Thank you,
Stephanie


 

steph_cuevas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:25
English to Tagalog
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Oct 10, 2012

Nora Diaz wrote:

I have a client who requests the same thing: the target entered into a column in the right, in bilingual Trados 2007 format.

I usually copy the column with the source text to a new document, make a bilingual file (using Trados 2007), translate it in Studio, create the target bilingual file, then copy the column and paste it in the required location in the original file. The process is a bit more convoluted than I'd like, but the client insists on getting unclean files like this so that they can a) provide that to their editors and then b) updated their TM with the edited file.

If you don't have Trados 2007 to prepare the bilingual file yourself, definitely ask the client if they can provide a presegmented file for you to work with. It takes only a few seconds for them to do this and it will ensure compatibility with their process.



Hi Nora,

Thank you for your response. Yes, you are correct. The target language needs to be placed in the right hand column.

I am able to generate a bilingual file after I have translated all the source texts. However, it seems my .doc bilingual file is not compatible with the older trados version my client uses.

Do you suggest to ask them to provide me a prepared bilingual file using their version so I can work on it using my new version?

Do you think I should purchase a Trados 2007 suite?

I really appreciate your responses. Thank you.

Best regards,
Stephanie


 

steph_cuevas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:25
English to Tagalog
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You are also using Trados 2011? Oct 10, 2012

Ülle Allsalu wrote:

Hi!
I have a similar problem. My client provides me with a bilingual file generated by an older version of Trados. But this file is not in table format but running text where source and target segments are separated by tags (in their version the target segment is identical with the source segment). What they want from me is a translated bilingual .doc file in exactly the same format. How can I produce it?
So far I have translated the source file in Studio and then copy-pasted the translation sentence by sentence into the bilingual .doc file. However, this solution is not viable at all as I really don't have the time for this. This workaround is also error-prone as I could accidentally delete something or misplace a sentence etc.
I would be grateful for a faster solution suggestion.
Ülle


Hi Ülle,

Glad to know that you are able to resolve your issue. As in my case, my client always gives me a Word file with a table which consists of the English texts in the left hand column and the right hand column left blank. What I do is, load it in Trados version I have which is 2011, translate the source texts, update the TM after, and I use "Save target as". Then after I have the target translations I paste them to the original file sent to me.

My problem is that my client couldn't update their TM with this bilingual file I created.

I'd appreciate your response as well.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Stephanie


 

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:25
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Bilingual, unclean file Oct 10, 2012

steph_cuevas wrote:

Hi Nora,

Thank you for your response. Yes, you are correct. The target language needs to be placed in the right hand column.

I am able to generate a bilingual file after I have translated all the source texts. However, it seems my .doc bilingual file is not compatible with the older trados version my client uses.

Do you suggest to ask them to provide me a prepared bilingual file using their version so I can work on it using my new version?

Do you think I should purchase a Trados 2007 suite?

I really appreciate your responses. Thank you.

Best regards,
Stephanie


Hi Stephanie,

I think there needs to be some clarification about what we mean when we say blingual file. I believe your client is asking not only for a bilingual file in the sense that the left- hand column has the source and the right-hand column has the target text, but for a "bilingual Trados file", also called "unclean"' and that means that the file has to be prepared in Trados 2007 (pre-segmented) before it is translated in Studio. An unclean file allows the client to update their TM.

So, to that end, there are two options: either the translator prepares the unclean file, or the client can provide a pre-segmented file.

Here's an overview of unclean file handling:

http://noradiaz.blogspot.mx/2012/07/handling-bilingual-unclean-word-files.html


 

steph_cuevas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:25
English to Tagalog
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 12, 2012

Nora Diaz wrote:

steph_cuevas wrote:

Hi Nora,

Thank you for your response. Yes, you are correct. The target language needs to be placed in the right hand column.

I am able to generate a bilingual file after I have translated all the source texts. However, it seems my .doc bilingual file is not compatible with the older trados version my client uses.

Do you suggest to ask them to provide me a prepared bilingual file using their version so I can work on it using my new version?

Do you think I should purchase a Trados 2007 suite?

I really appreciate your responses. Thank you.

Best regards,
Stephanie


Hi Stephanie,

I think there needs to be some clarification about what we mean when we say blingual file. I believe your client is asking not only for a bilingual file in the sense that the left- hand column has the source and the right-hand column has the target text, but for a "bilingual Trados file", also called "unclean"' and that means that the file has to be prepared in Trados 2007 (pre-segmented) before it is translated in Studio. An unclean file allows the client to update their TM.

So, to that end, there are two options: either the translator prepares the unclean file, or the client can provide a pre-segmented file.

Here's an overview of unclean file handling:

http://noradiaz.blogspot.mx/2012/07/handling-bilingual-unclean-word-files.html




Hi Nora,

Thank you very much once again for your response.

Yes, you are correct my client needs a bilingual file also known as unclean file. I've already sent them an unclean file generated in Trados 2011. The problem is they can't update their TM with this file due to tag errors.

I've also read your blog, but I don't have Trados 2007. Although I've already asked my client to send me a pre-segmented file. I am still waiting for their response.

I wanted to resolve this issue so that I won't be facing the same problem everytime I work with clients who uses older version of Trados.

You think I can use other option with this, please?

Thank you,
Stephanie


 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Generating unclean file using Trados 2011 that can be opened in older versions of Trados

Advanced search







SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search