Anna Nielsen  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:05
Member (2011)
Spanish to Swedish
+ ...
Oct 11, 2012

Hello everyone,

I have been using the Trados 2011 Starter Edition for a while, but a few weeks ago I purchased a package with Trados Studio 2011 Freelance + Trados 2007 Suite. Now is the first time I will translate in Trados using a translation memory I haven't created myself. My client has sent me a .tmw file, which as far as I have understood is the translation memory itself. The problem is I can't open it.

My client also sent me files in the following formats: .mtf .mwf .mdf .iix

I'm not sure what they are.

I have tried to open the translation memory (.tmw) directly (then Trados Workbench opens) as well as through Trados 2007 and Trados 2011; each time an error message pops up, saying the file .iix can not be found. (In Trados 2011 I have clicked on open document, chosen source and target language, then clicked on add file-based translation memory; it's when I click on open the error message pops up.) I have also tried to open the .iix file, but fail.

I suspect the .iix file has something to do with me not being able to open the translation memory, and I guess the solution is quite easy, but right now I can't find it!!

Could anyone please help me?

Thank you in advance.
Kind regards,
Anna

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
5 files Oct 11, 2012

All 5 files you mention have to have exactly the same name and be in the same folder. Then you should be able to import the .tmw file the way you mention in Studio, which will convert it to .sdltm format.

If not, try the upgrade TM route from the home screen.

Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same folder? Oct 11, 2012

Hello Emma, and thank you for your quick reply.

What do you mean when writing that the 5 files have to be in the same folder? They do have exactly the same name.

Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
GOT IT! Oct 11, 2012

Emma, I got it!!
Thank you so much. You saved my day!
/Anna

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New user: can not open translation memory

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search