Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
How to convert TB to TM?
Thread poster: walkqisky
walkqisky
walkqisky
Local time: 18:53
English to Chinese
Oct 11, 2012

This question addresses to such scenario that I got a batch of left-right-compare formated excel files and have made them into one sdltb termbase using SDL MultiTerm 2009 Convert, and now I want to convert this big TB into translation memory for words analysis purpose, but it seems none of the come-outs with export options (XML, txt, TBX, etc.) in MultiTerm 2009 SP3 could be imported to either Trados 2007 Workbench or Trados 2009 Studio.
Any valuable ideas will be appreciated.

Iwona Mróz
Iwona Mróz
Poland
Local time: 12:53
German to Polish
Use align function Oct 11, 2012

Hi,

I would use align function and create TM directly from the Excel files. It should be quite easy, because Excel tables are ordered well.

Hope it will help you.
Iwona

walkqisky
walkqisky
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Iwona you mean WinAlign? Oct 11, 2012

Iwona Mróz wrote:

Hi,

I would use align function and create TM directly from the Excel files. It should be quite easy, because Excel tables are ordered well.

Hope it will help you.
Iwona

Thank you Iwona, and you mean WinAlign in Trados 2007 Suite? I will try then.

Iwona Mróz
Iwona Mróz
Poland
German to Polish
Yes, WinAlign Oct 11, 2012

Yes, I mean WinAlign.
(It is a part of Trados Studio 2009 (or 2011) too but it works in exactly the same way as before.)
Good luck!

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
If you want a Translation Memory from this... Oct 11, 2012

... then the excel file is either simple wordlists, or phrases... or you want to only use part of the termbase?

In this case the easiest process is to save the excel file containing both source and target columns of words/phrases as a csv and then open this in Studio. You can configure the csv filetype to open the source column in the source side of the Studio editor and the target column in the target side. Then just add an empty TM to your project Settings and run the batch task
... See more
... then the excel file is either simple wordlists, or phrases... or you want to only use part of the termbase?

In this case the easiest process is to save the excel file containing both source and target columns of words/phrases as a csv and then open this in Studio. You can configure the csv filetype to open the source column in the source side of the Studio editor and the target column in the target side. Then just add an empty TM to your project Settings and run the batch task Update Translation Memory.

There is a blog article here that might shed some more light on the process for you : http://goo.gl/ZGOFq

And this one might also be useful depending on the content of your Termbase: http://goo.gl/1IeNo

Regards

Paul
Collapse

walkqisky
walkqisky
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Paul Oct 12, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

In this case the easiest process is to save the excel file containing both source and target columns of words/phrases as a csv and then open this in Studio. You can configure the csv filetype to open the source column in the source side of the Studio editor and the target column in the target side. Then just add an empty TM to your project Settings and run the batch task Update Translation Memory.

There is a blog article here that might shed some more light on the process for you : http://goo.gl/ZGOFq

And this one might also be useful depending on the content of your Termbase: http://goo.gl/1IeNo

Regards

Paul

Your method is the easiest, but prior to this I have to batch convert the xls files to csv files using Excel macros.
Really appreciate your ideas, Paul.

walkqisky
walkqisky
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
csv files not supported by Studio 2009 Oct 13, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

Regards

Paul

But again here comes a new problem, most of the csv files I converted from Excel files could not be open by Studio 2009 SP3 in which says Format not Supported, and serveral ones could be open show garbage characters in the right side of the Studio Editor, but I mannually check the csv content (en-cn comparative sheets) and confirmed all right.
What happened? Any solution for this?
The turnaround I found is very exhausted, that is:
xls->convert to xml using SDL MultiTerm 2009 Convert->import to sdltb->export to tabulated-txt->open in Studio with particular file-type format set->save as sdlxliff->batch export to tmx using SDLXLIFF To Legacy Converter->import to Trados 2007 Workbench for analysis purpose.
I wonder if there is a way directly convert the csv files derived from xls files to Workbench txt format?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
CSV... Oct 13, 2012

walkqisky wrote:

But again here comes a new problem, most of the csv files I converted from Excel files could not be open by Studio 2009 SP3 in which says Format not Supported, and serveral ones could be open show garbage characters in the right side of the Studio Editor, but I mannually check the csv content (en-cn comparative sheets) and confirmed all right.
What happened? Any solution for this?

Hi,

Studio 2009 does support CSV so I'm not sure what the problem could be without seeing the file. Can you share it?

Regards

Paul
[email protected]

walkqisky
walkqisky
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
I think I have found the cause but no solution yet Oct 15, 2012

The prompt "Format not Supported" has something to do with the csv file type format setting for I select not Comma but Tabulator for Column Separator, this is intended to address a lot of terms that have comma within which will be recognized as source and translation respectively in the Studio if the Comma separator is selected, and garbage characters show up thereafter.
Also I have tried to save the xls files as tab-limit txt files, but also only find garbage characters, but if I delete l
... See more
The prompt "Format not Supported" has something to do with the csv file type format setting for I select not Comma but Tabulator for Column Separator, this is intended to address a lot of terms that have comma within which will be recognized as source and translation respectively in the Studio if the Comma separator is selected, and garbage characters show up thereafter.
Also I have tried to save the xls files as tab-limit txt files, but also only find garbage characters, but if I delete large quantities of rows to reduce the size it turn out to be normal again. Now I am confused how to solve this.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
ok - I see the problem too... Oct 15, 2012

... but if you try with these settings it seems to work ok:

My csv then opens like this:

I can repro your error, but only if I only have a single segment in the file and I also check the box for Exclude: First line is co
... See more
... but if you try with these settings it seems to work ok:

My csv then opens like this:

I can repro your error, but only if I only have a single segment in the file and I also check the box for Exclude: First line is column headings. Once I have more than one line in the file then this also works.

Maybe this will help? Also happy to look at your file if you are able to share it?

Regards

Paul
Collapse

walkqisky
walkqisky
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Still garbage characters Oct 15, 2012

Here I attached a file for your reference and test:
http://www.rayfile.com/zh-cn/files/81200dd9-1690-11e2-93eb-0015c55db73d/

Hopefully it could be settled before long.
And I am eagerly looking for a tool that can directly convert csv/tab-txt files to Trados Workbench txt files, by specifying the column to extract and adding the TU tag aroun
... See more

And I am eagerly looking for a tool that can directly convert csv/tab-txt files to Trados Workbench txt files, by specifying the column to extract and adding the TU tag around it.
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
tabbed txt Oct 15, 2012

walkqisky wrote:

And I am eagerly looking for a tool that can directly convert csv/tab-txt files to Trados Workbench txt files, by specifying the column to extract and adding the TU tag around it.

I have a tool that makes TMX files out of any number of tabbed txt or xls files. (Workbench txt is obsolete and only partially supported even by SDL these days.) You can't pick which columns to use, the first two (or more in case of a multilingual file) columns are taken to contain the text. The last column can contain metadata.
sourceforge.net/projects/aligner

Allowing the user to pick which columns the content is in would be doable, but it would be a rarely used feature. Maybe, maybe.

walkqisky
walkqisky
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
LF_aligner sounds good but a little inconvenient Oct 16, 2012

FarkasAndras wrote:

walkqisky wrote:

I have a tool that makes TMX files out of any number of tabbed txt or xls files. (Workbench txt is obsolete and only partially supported even by SDL these days.) You can't pick which columns to use, the first two (or more in case of a multilingual file) columns are taken to contain the text. The last column can contain metadata.

Allowing the user to pick which columns the content is in would be doable, but it would be a rarely used feature. Maybe, maybe.

Thank you Farkas for providing such a nice tool, but before converting I have to manually make up the Excel files and split the source and target language one by one and save as Unicode txt first, then UTF-8 txt to fulfill the precondition of the conversion, this is a little troublesome since there is a huge bundle of files to make up. Also, it seems not support xls files as the readme file and the user interface tell, does it?

walkqisky
walkqisky
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Please ignore my previous post Oct 16, 2012

FarkasAndras wrote:

walkqisky wrote:

Forgive my neglect, I just found the TMX_maker in the subfolder and test OK, just need to leave only the source and target column in the xls files before conversion.
Thank you Farkas, very much.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Sorry... Oct 16, 2012

walkqisky wrote:

... but I can't get at the file you refer too... see lots of nice graphics though... but even translating the page to English and I can't find where to actually download the file. Can you simply email it to me?

Thanks

Paul
[email protected]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to convert TB to TM?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »