Studio 2011, SP2R row not activated
Thread poster: philwhite
philwhite
Local time: 07:14
German to English
Oct 12, 2012

Dear all,

I recently installed SP2R, which eliminated a number of bugs that have been causing me problems. I now find that double-clicking in a segment no longer activates that segment. Also, and far more seriously, when working through tracked changes with F9, the segment in which a change has been made is not activated, which means that it is not possible to accept or reject the change except by activating the segment (clicking in it), moving to the beginning of the segment and pressing F9 again.

Both these issues are catastrophic for me, as I am severely sight impaired, and I assume that my screen reader is reading one segment to me (the active segment), whereas it is in fact reading the segment in which the insertion point is located. I send all my translations for review by colleagues, who used the Track Changes function to mark up anything they change from my approval, which is a magnificent way for me to keep working.

I am using Windows 7, 64-bit.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and does anyone know of an urgent fix?

Direct link Reply with quote

septima
Implicit row activation Oct 13, 2012

Do you have "Enable implicit row activation" checked under Tools - Options - Editor?

philwhite
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Already activated Oct 14, 2012

Yes. I have made no changes to the settings.

Thanks for the idea anyway.

[Edited at 2012-10-14 10:06 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
I think this is perhaps where the issue lies... Oct 14, 2012

philwhite wrote:

.... I assume that my screen reader is reading one segment to me (the active segment), whereas it is in fact reading the segment in which the insertion point is located.

Hi Phil,

As soon as you click inside a segment, or put the cursor there with the keyboard, then that becomes the active segment. So the behavior you mention here seems to be normal to me.

If the behavior before was different then I must be misunderstanding you completely. Perhaps you can can explain what you are doing step by step?

Regards

Paul

philwhite
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
The problem in detail Oct 14, 2012

The behavior prior to SP2R was as follows:
1. Single-clicking in a segment activated the segment.
2. Double-clicking in a segment activated the segment.
3. Pressing F9 to move to the next tracked change activated the segment containing the tracked change.

The behavior in SP2R is now as follows:
1. Single-clicking in a segment activates the segment. (This is the behavior you describe and has not changed.)
2. Double-clicking in a segment to select a word in order to edit it does not activate the segment. Extending selection of a double-clicked word using key combination such as shift and arrow still does not activate the segment. Navigation with the arrow keys alone, however, does activate the segment in which the insertion point is located.
3. Pressing F9 to move to the next track change does not activate the segment in which the change is located, and pressing Ctrl+Shift+F9 to accept the change therefore has no effect (the menu option is also disabled).

The second issue is merely irritating. The third issue in respect of tracked changes is pretty catastrophic, and it involves multiple keystrokes to achieve what should be available on a single keystroke:

1. F9 to find the next tracked change.
2. Arrow left to move to a position before the change and activate the segment.
3. F9 to find the change again.
4. Ctrl+Shift+F9 to accept the change (or Alt+Shift+F9 to reject it).

The company currently attempting to make Studio accessible for me and another blind translator using JAWS (after a refusal, I hasten to add, by SDL to provide any assistance or even to discuss issues) is working on the assumption that the position JAWS reads from is identified by whether or not a segment is highlighted as being active. JAWS will therefore read the wrong segment after searching for tracked changes using F9 unless the segment is activated as described above.

Fortunately, I have enough residual sight to allow me to overcome these difficulties using screen magnifiers (which allow me to double-click on a word I wish to edit in the first place). The other colleague for whom JAWS is being scripted has no sight whatsoever and cannot resort to workarounds.

United Kingdom
English
On this process Oct 14, 2012

philwhite wrote:

The behavior in SP2R is now as follows:
1. Single-clicking in a segment activates the segment. (This is the behaviour you describe and has not changed.)
2. Double-clicking in a segment to select a word in order to edit it does not activate the segment. Extending selection of a double-clicked word using key combination such as shift and arrow still does not activate the segment. Navigation with the arrow keys alone, however, does activate the segment in which the insertion point is located.
3. Pressing F9 to move to the next track change does not activate the segment in which the change is located, and pressing Ctrl+Shift+F9 to accept the change therefore has no effect (the menu option is also disabled).

Hi Phil,

Thank you for taking time to spell this out for me. I can't recall the behavior before, but on my laptop this works as follows:

1. Single-clicking in a segment activates the segment.
2. Double-clicking in a segment to select a word in order to edit it does not activate the segment... but as soon as I then edit it the segment becomes active. So no need to click anything else, I just make the change.
3. Pressing F9 to move to the next track change does not activate the segment in which the change is located, but pressing Ctrl+F9 to accept the change has the required effect. (Note there is no Shift key in here... maybe you customised the shortcut?)

philwhite wrote:

The company currently attempting to make Studio accessible for me and another blind translator using JAWS (after a refusal, I hasten to add, by SDL to provide any assistance or even to discuss issues) is working on the assumption that the position JAWS reads from is identified by whether or not a segment is highlighted as being active. JAWS will therefore read the wrong segment after searching for tracked changes using F9 unless the segment is activated as described above.

There are two things here. First, I see your problem now that you mention JAWS. I wasn't aware of the change in behaviour you mention with regard to F9 activating the segment... but if you need this read to you then I can perfectly understand the problem despite the behaviour I experience.

The second thing is that I worked with the company who developed JAWS several years ago so we could identify things that we should enhance in Studio 2009 to improve the integration between these products. So if you have been given a refusal by SDL then I am very surprised and would encourage you to ask them to contact me directly.

In the meantime I will discuss this issue around activation with the Product Manager for Studio and see what can be done to improve this situation.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

philwhite
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 14, 2012

Hi Paul,

Thanks for that. I shall put the team that are working on JAWS directly in touch with you. It will be an immense relief to them.

As far as Track Changes is concerned, the situation is as follows:

In the Tools > Track Changes menu, I have a block of 3 items for accepting changes. After moving to the next change (in a different segment, I have a menu item with no caption, and the shortcut Ctrl + F9, which is active. Looking at the list of shortcuts, this is Accept Change and Move to Next. This is enabled.
The second item is Accept Change with the shortcut Ctrl + Shift + F9. This is disabled and the shortcut does not work.
The third is Accept All Changes in Document, with no shortcut assigned. This is also enabled.

I have always used Ctrl + Shift + F9 because Ctrl + F9 collides with a shortcut to start/stop the screen reader I am using at present and I have been too lazy to change it. Because the menu has no caption, I had actually forgotten it was there. I can now reassign the hotkey and that should work.

Nevertheless, it remains a bug that "Accept Change and Move to Next" works (albeit with no menu caption), but "Accept Change" (the one I used up to SP2R does not.

I still can't see any coherent reason for the change in behaviour, but who am I...

You may wish to remove your mail address now, as I have recorded it.

Again, many thanks.

[Edited at 2012-10-14 19:08 GMT]

United Kingdom
English
Workaround Oct 15, 2012

Hi Phil,

We are going to look at this as a high bug for resolution in the next Service Pack... earlier if possible but no promises. It seems to be an unwanted side effect of something else we did that was probably missed because the impact is far less obvious without your context.

In the meantime a workaround was suggested by the Studio Product Manager that seems to work. After you use F9 you can press Alt+Home which activates the Translation -> Activate Row command then you will be able to work as before.

Perhaps this will take the bulk of the pain away until we restore the behaviour as before?

Regards

Paul

philwhite
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, that's one keystroke less! Oct 15, 2012

Thanks for that. That helps.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011, SP2R row not activated

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search