Freisk
Freisk  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 21:49
Member (2011)
English to French
Oct 12, 2012

Hi there,

I am a SDL Studio 2011 (SP2 10.2.3046.0) user under Windows 7.

Some of my clients are still working with old version of Trados.
I'm having problems "upgrading" their project TMs, when it is in TMW format. See error message.

My clients are not necessarily responsive and I don't have Trados 2007 so for the moment, I'm asking favours from trusted contacts to export it in TXT or TMX format. Obviously, this is not something I want to continue doing.

Is there anybody who had encountered and managed to resolve this problem?
A good alternative would be to find a convertor TMW>TXT or TMX but I can't find this on the Internet.

Thanks a lot,

Séb

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:49
English to French
+ ...
Send me the file Oct 12, 2012

Hi,

Send me the file and I'll see what i can do.

Bernard

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:49
Finnish to French
TMW is proprietary Oct 13, 2012

Freisk wrote:
A good alternative would be to find a convertor TMW>TXT or TMX but I can't find this on the Internet.

There is no such thing AFAIK, because the TMW format is proprietary, so only SDL has access to the knowledge needed for such a conversion. Since Studio is supposed to do the conversion, have you contacted SDL tech support?

Freisk
Ireland
Member (2011)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Temporary thanks Oct 13, 2012

@ Bernard, I'll see if I can get a similar TM with less content for obvious confidentiality reasons. Looking at the TMX content, I noticed that there are a lot of duplicate strings with the same source (but different assigned values). See screenshot. Not sure if this could be the reasons? I tried on 2 different PCs by the way.

@ Dominique : I am afraid you're most likely right. To my knowledge, SDL Tech Support is not a free service so I would only go that road if I was desperate

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:49
English
I don't think the fields... Oct 13, 2012

... and same source text are anything to do with this. I just tested this and have no problem upgrading units that are similar to your example from a 2007 TM and the fields are retained as they were in the TMW and all the TUs are there too, each with their correct field attribute.

If you can provide the TMW we can take a look?

On support... if you find the software will not work (which is hat you are suggesting) then we do provide free technical support. You use the K
... See more
... and same source text are anything to do with this. I just tested this and have no problem upgrading units that are similar to your example from a 2007 TM and the fields are retained as they were in the TMW and all the TUs are there too, each with their correct field attribute.

If you can provide the TMW we can take a look?

On support... if you find the software will not work (which is hat you are suggesting) then we do provide free technical support. You use the Knowledgebase for this by raising a case through the solution finder.

But in this case if you can share the TM... and Support would need this anyway... then please feel free to mail it (if it's small enough).

Regards

Paul
[email protected]
Collapse

Freisk
Ireland
Member (2011)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Sorted for the moment Nov 5, 2012

Thanks all for your comments.

1. I've sent an email to that client explaining my problem - not sure when/if they'll get back to me with a solution > I'll chase them next week. In between, I have noticed that it only affects Project TMs coming from one of their accounts. Unfortunately, I can't share these TMs.

2. I managed to get a demo version of Trados 2007. While I don't plan to use it for translation, at least I can export the project TMs I receive in TMX until the
... See more
Thanks all for your comments.

1. I've sent an email to that client explaining my problem - not sure when/if they'll get back to me with a solution > I'll chase them next week. In between, I have noticed that it only affects Project TMs coming from one of their accounts. Unfortunately, I can't share these TMs.

2. I managed to get a demo version of Trados 2007. While I don't plan to use it for translation, at least I can export the project TMs I receive in TMX until the demo version expires. If my memory is correct, I may still be able to use Workbench afterwards provided the Project TM doesn't contain more than 100 strings (which will probably be the case most of the time). Until then maybe that client will think of migrating to a newer version of SDL Trados...

Thanks Paul for having clarified the SDL Support usage.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 - Failure during "upgrading" from TMW format into SDLTM format

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »