Auto Suggest Dictionary Help for TRADOS 2009
Thread poster: Anita Shahbazian

Anita Shahbazian  Identity Verified
Armenia
Local time: 13:58
English to Farsi (Persian)
+ ...
Oct 15, 2012

How Can I get access to EnglishFarsi Dictionary data base in "Word" format to use in Creating AutoSuggest dictionary. There are lot's of Dictionary software but non of them has database for use in word format or Excel format. I don't know how can i use a dictionary software to create AutoSuggest dictionary file in SDL TRADOS 2009.

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:28
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
autosuggest dictionary Oct 15, 2012

The way to create an autosuggest dictionary is to take one of your TMs with at least 25000 units and follow the autosuggest wizard.

SDL has some dictionaries from the EU and uploaded by other translators, but none into Farsi. Even if there were an English-Farsi A/S dictionary available, your own TM will be much more productive than a public one.

Edited to add the SDL A/S link:
http://www.translationzone.com/en/resources/downloads/autosuggest-dictionaries/

Just in case Paul Filkin or anyone else is passing by, I've also got a question:

On the SDL website, there is an A/S dictionary called "European Union EN-US - Spanish".

Is this really US English from an EU database? Or is it UK English and it would just be a case of renaming the source language in a text editor?

Thanks,
Emma

[Edited at 2012-10-15 10:11 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-10-15 10:13 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Language Flavours Oct 16, 2012

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

On the SDL website, there is an A/S dictionary called "European Union EN-US - Spanish".

Is this really US English from an EU database? Or is it UK English and it would just be a case of renaming the source language in a text editor?

Hi Emma,

I don't know who actually created this Dictionary, but I can tell you that the extract from the Acquis Communautaire TMs would have been a TMX with EN-GB to ES-ES. So I guess whoever did this decided to create this as EN-US by search and replacing the language code. Perhaps this was a more requested language direction/flavour... don't know.

Regards

Paul

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
language flavour response Oct 16, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

the extract from the Acquis Communautaire TMs would have been a TMX with EN-GB to ES-ES.

Thanks for your confirmation, Paul.

Denise Phelps  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
EU dictionary Oct 16, 2012

So is this dictionary just a ready-made dictionary from the Acquis Communautaire TM (which I spent a day downloading and converting)?

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Yes... Oct 16, 2012

... but perhaps you used more TUs and have a larger dictionary? I have no idea how many were used for the one on the site.

You also have the ability to add your own TUs from you own TM to the one you created... you can't do that with the one on the site as it comes as-is.

Regards

Paul

Denise Phelps  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks Paul Oct 16, 2012

for that information. I won't bother using it then. Actually, I used the instructions from your website to download the EU TM and convert it into an autosuggest dictionary, so I need to thank you for that, too.

On a completely unrelated topic, on another recent thread which I can't find now, you mentioned that people rarely said what Studio features they appreciated, so I'd just like to say here that I really appreciate the new highlighting function as a means to remind me when back in Word that there is something that needs checking/commenting, especially as the comment function has been temporarily disabled.

[Edited at 2012-10-16 17:06 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Auto Suggest Dictionary Help for TRADOS 2009

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search