Missing placeable / string TU split (SDL Studio 2011)
Thread poster: johnyaku

johnyaku  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:11
Japanese to English
Oct 15, 2012

I have a sentence that starts with a placeable (a {REF} field).

"{Figure X} shows the configuration"

However, for some reason SDL splits the placeable ("{Figure X}") off as a separate, uneditable TU. In fact, it's not even listed - presumably because it does not require translation.

There are no spaces, punctuation, linefeeds etc between the initial placeable and the rest of the sentence. I used the default rules for finding TU boundaries.

What's going on? And how can I fix it?

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:11
English
You didn't mention the filetype... Oct 16, 2012

... but presumably this is MSWord with that field name?

If it was xml then I would suggest taking a look at the parser rule to make sure that the tag was specified as inline and not external. But for Word it's trickier and I can't actually repro with your example at all.

Can you share the file?

Regards

Paul

Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
File details Oct 16, 2012

The source file uses MS Word 2003 .doc format.

Since I made the initial post, I have found about a dozen more instances of the same problem.

My work-around has been to insert comments reminding myself (and anyone else who might work on the document) to tidy up the {REF} fields after the target translation has been generated.

The file itself is confidential, but I have stripped it down to include just one example of the problem, editing it to remove all confidential information. I confirmed that the problem still occurs with this stripped down file.

Here is a link to the stripped down file: http://bit.ly/WgXN30

The problem is with the following sentence (bold text indicates {REF} fields).

図 4 3の “Add X” をクリックすることにより、図 4 4のメニューが表示される。

The "図 4 3" part seems to get stripped out of the sentence as a separate TU. Because this TU contains no text that requires translating, it is not even listed as a TU in the Editor, so I can't merge it with the rest of the sentence.

If I copy the placeable for "図 4 3" from elsewhere and and paste it in the target segment then I get an error about the number of tags not matching. (This will still leave an orphan reference to "図 4 3" in the target translation anyway.)

Thanks for your help.

[Edited at 2012-10-16 10:24 GMT]

Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
{REF} field missing from start of segment Oct 22, 2012

The previous document had about 30 or 40 instances of the problem described in my initial post. In the end I had to edit the target Word file because I ran out of time before I had to submit the job.

The same problem is happening again with the next document that I am translating.

As an experiment, I tried inserting text in front of a missing {REF} field before importing the Word file into SDL Studio 2011. When I did this the {REF} field appeared as a placeable in the expected location.

Conclusion: {REF} fields only disappear when they occur at the beginning of a segment.

Hypothesis: The problem is with the segmentation rules.

That is, the text "abc.{REF}xyz." is parsed as /three/ segments:
1) abc.
2) {REF}
3) xyz.

The second segment consists only of a {REF} field, and so is not displayed in the Editor.

"abc.{REF}xyz." should be parsed as /two/ segments:
1) abc.
2) {REF}xyz.

I am using the default segmentation rules.

[Edited at 2012-10-22 06:28 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:11
English
I'm still confused... I think Oct 22, 2012

Hi,

I don't understand the problem here at all, unless it is just that you want this field (that you can't see) to be somewhere else when you edit the target text? The field looks like a merged bookmark so to edit the translatable text you'd have to be able to see the tag text in the file where it is linked (as in my example below... note the TAG structure information), making sure you have the bookmark tags in place so that Word knows what it should be picking up in the target file.

So maybe these bookmarks are missing from the file? Or they are coming from a linked file I don;t have access to? Certainly they are not in the sample doc you provided so I'm not surprised by some of the things you say... although I think you are coming up with some incredibly complicated explanations for the issue.

In your example the 43 tags themselves are seen as external so Studio moves them outside of the segment... clearly undesirable if you do need to have them somewhere else because of the word order. So you can display them by filtering on All content with the display filter and then you can move the tags inside like this (I moved them in the target segment):

Note that I brought all the tags inside for this segment or I would have been left with ghost tags. Now I can move the target 43 to wherever I like. (apologies for the translation... blame google)

Does this help?

Regards

Paul

Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Problem (almost) solved Oct 22, 2012

Yes, that does help, thank you.

I didn't know about using the Display Filter to show all content, and I didn't know that I could drag tags around like that.

I still get a "Tag Added" error when I move the tag inside the target segment as you suggested. I tried moving the corresponding tag on the source side, but wasn't able to. I guess I can get away with ignoring the errors and then relaxing the verification standards after I finish translating the document.

In your example the 43 tags themselves are seen as external so Studio moves them outside of the segment

This is what I find unintuitive. If these were strictly formatting tags, then I'd have no problem with them being moved outside of the segment, but {REF} fields have content, which is part of the sentence.

Why are {REF} fields at the start of a segment moved outside, whereas {REF} fields in the middle of a segment left where they are?

(BTW, the content of translates as "context menu" in English, so the translation reads "By clicking 'Add X' in the context menu, ..." Hopefully this helps you see what I mean about the content of being part of the sentence.)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Missing placeable / string TU split (SDL Studio 2011)

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search