Thread poster: bendksu
bendksu  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 17:19
Member (2011)
Danish to English
+ ...
Oct 16, 2012

I am working on a project in Trados Studio 2011.

There is a term (a name of a government agency), which appears numerous times in the text.

This is the fourth document I am translating, where this name is not recognized. After the other documents have been saved and finalized, I would have thought that the translation of the government agency would be added to the TM. But as I continue translating, this term is not recognized.

How do I manually enter a translation for a term in Trados Studio 2011?

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

J Fox  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 23:19
German to English
+ ...
Some instructions Oct 16, 2012

Hi, it sounds like you need to use a termbase for term recognition, not just a translation memory to save your translated segments.

Have you set up a termbase in Multiterm? This is the first step. If you haven't, see these instructions:

http://foxdocs.biz/BetweenTranslations/how-to-create-a-termbase-in-multiterm/

Then add the termbase in Trados Studio - see instructions here:
http://foxdocs.biz/BetweenTranslations/how-to-add-a-termbase-in-trados-studio-and-use-term-recognition/

Then you're ready to add terms. In the Editor view in Studio, highlight the term in the source and the target text, right click and select Add New Term.

The Termbase Viewer displays. Click the Save icon to add the term.

Here's the process in more detail:

http://foxdocs.biz/BetweenTranslations/add-term-to-termbase-in-trados-studio/

The term will then be recognised in the segment, and will display in the Term Recognition window. When you start typing the term it will display as an autosuggestion for you to insert.

[Edited at 2012-10-16 07:25 GMT]

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:19
English to Russian
+ ...
Have you created a termbase? Oct 16, 2012

Have you linked this termbase with your project?

bendksu  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 17:19
Member (2011)
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
term to memory Oct 16, 2012

Thanks.

Yes, I believe I have linked my TM to the project.

When I started the project, I selected the TM, which I always use with this language pair. Am I not correct in understanding that each time I use this TM for a project and "finalize" the project after completion, then the TM is populated with the terms?

Lorenzo Cordini
Local time: 11:19
English
TM or Termbase? Oct 16, 2012

Hi bendksu,

Does this recurring term appear in a segment by itself or is it part of a longer segment with more words?

In the latter case, if a minimum match value is not reached, you will get no suggestion from the TM.

You should probably create a termbase including this term as suggested by Sergei.

Regards,

Lorenzo

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:19
English to Russian
+ ...
tm and tm are two different things Oct 16, 2012

In addition to the Translation Memory you have to create a Term Base, where your terms have to be stored....

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I add a term to memory?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search