GlossaryConverter crashes in Windows 8
Thread poster: Dominique Pivard

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:33
Finnish to French
Oct 16, 2012

Is the new GlossaryConverter plugin compatible with Windows 8? As soon as I try to start it, I get this:

It works OK on a similar Windows 7 setup.

Direct link Reply with quote

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 04:33
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
contact developer Oct 16, 2012

Hi Dominique,

See http://www.cerebus.de/glossaryconverter/index.html for developer's contact details.

Selcuk

Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
I've contacted the author Oct 16, 2012

Thanks, Selcuk! That's what I did, upon Paul's suggestion earlier today on the memoQ list. Paul said he hasn't got Windows 8 yet, only that he was aware some people are already using Studio and MultiTerm on it (which I confirm, since both are installed on my Windows 8 test bed).

I'll report if/when I get a reply from Gerhard Kordmann (the author of GlossaryConverter). He did mention on his site: "This is a hobby project, so I can not guarantee if and when I can react to inquiries...", which is why I asked here first.

Turkey
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
well a hobby project but Oct 16, 2012

He is also one of the software developers of SDL. So possibly this bug will be resolved shortly.

Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
Independent developer vs. SDL employee Oct 16, 2012

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
He is also one of the software developers of SDL. So possibly this bug will be resolved shortly.

I'm not sure what you mean by "software developer of SDL": my understanding is that he's a translator like you and me. He wrote an application using the OpenExchange API and he made that application available for free to all SDL users, but he remains an independent developer. He's the one who calls the shots: if he decided that backward compatibility with MultiTerm 2009 was not possible or too complicated to achieve, so be it, he's under no contractual obligation to provide such compatibility. Of course, you are free to write your own GlossaryConverter for MultiTerm 2009, to address the shortcomings of the existing converter

Turkey
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
off-topic Oct 16, 2012

Gerhard Kordmann, developer of this application works at SDL, see http://www.linkedin.com/pub/gerhard-kordmann/55/25b/784

But of course anyone can develop such applications in their free time as a hobby, we can not expect official support from SDL or free support from such developers.

Backward compatibility with MultiTerm 2009 was asked in another thread

Selcuk

Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
I stand corrected! Oct 16, 2012

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
Gerhard Kordmann, developer of this application works at SDL, see http://www.linkedin.com/pub/gerhard-kordmann/55/25b/784

Thanks for the precision, I didn't realize that!
Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
But of course anyone can develop such applications in their free time as a hobby, we can not expect official support from SDL or free support from such developers.

Exactly!

GKordmann
Local time: 01:33
Partly compatible Oct 17, 2012

Hi,

I'm the developer, and as is stated above, I'm currently an SDL employee,
but develop the converter in my spare time, unrelated to my daytime job.
I'll answer email as soon as I get around to it. It was quite busy yesterday...

Windows 8: I tested it on one Windows 8 box, and it worked, so it's not a
general incompatibility. Can you send me the complete error report from
the message you get? The screen shot only displays the top part of the list.

Cheers, Gerhard

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

GlossaryConverter crashes in Windows 8

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search