How does AutoSuggest Creator work
Thread poster: Yasmina Ait Ali

Yasmina Ait Ali
Canada
Local time: 13:04
English to French
+ ...
Oct 18, 2012

When I translate with SDL Trados Studio 2011, the memory does not suggest to me terms I have just translated in the same project. If I buy Autosuggest Creator, would it suggest terms I have just translated or I have translated in the past even if I don't add them manually to the dictionnary? I mean, do I have to add manually all the terms I need to be suggested or are they added to the dictionary automatically by translating them?

Direct link Reply with quote

Ana Myriam Garro  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:04
English to Spanish
+ ...
I am afraid that I am of little help Oct 18, 2012

I bought Trados Studio 2011 and attended the course, however it is driving me crazy. I tried with my own translations, uploading the original document and the translation, and it doesn't recognize anything. I have been trying for several months and I am on the very brink of giving it up. Hope someone answers your question, as it may help me too. Good luck

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:04
English
On AutoSuggest Creator Oct 18, 2012

Hi Yasmina,

Let's start by discussing what AutoSuggest is. This is a feature in Studio that can make use of three resources you can provide:

• AutoSuggest Dictionaries
  • Termbases
  • AutoText

AutoSuggest Dictionaries are generated by extracting bilingual pairs of text from your Translation Memory, and these can be words or phrases. This extraction is an automatic process that you run as long as you have the license for AutoSuggest Creator, or the Professional version. You need to have a Translation Memory of at lest 25,000 Translation Units in order to generate an AutoSuggest Dictionary.

Termbases are similar to dictionaries, and these contain words or phrases that you add to them as you work. Termbases are normally created with MultiTerm and then built during translation.

AutoText is a monolingual list of entries that you can add as you work, or import from a list, and should be based on your target language. Useful for words and phrases that you use a lot with the subject matter you translate into.

All three of these resources are automatically inserted into the text as you type. But all three require you to put the information in there in the first place.

Does this explain it?

Regards

Paul

United Kingdom
English
It sounds as though you could use a little help? Oct 18, 2012

Ana Myriam Garro wrote:

I bought Trados Studio 2011 and attended the course, however it is driving me crazy. I tried with my own translations, uploading the original document and the translation, and it doesn't recognize anything. I have been trying for several months and I am on the very brink of giving it up. Hope someone answers your question, as it may help me too. Good luck

Hi Ana,

If you have time tomorrow I can organise a quick webex to take you through the basics... and anyone else interested can also attend. Not too long, but I think if we took an hour we could easily cover enough to point you in the right direction.

If you think it's a good idea then drop me an email and I'll send you a link for the webex... say 1500hrs CET (Germany).

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

United Kingdom
English
Change of plan. Oct 19, 2012

Hi,

I have only had one response to this offer so far, and they have a preferred time of 1630hrs CET (Germany) so I'm going to run with this time and am setting the webex up for then. If anyone is interested in this run through the basics to hopefully answer a few questions and help you get started then drop me an email.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

pjg111  Identity Verified
Member (2010)
English to French
Will a replay be available later? Oct 19, 2012

Hi Paul,

I'm afraid I will not be available by the time of the live event this afternoon. Will a replay of the WebEx recording be available so we can view it later?

Many thanks in advance for your answer.

Cheers.

Paul

United Kingdom
English
Good question... Oct 19, 2012

pjg111 wrote:

I'm afraid I will not be available by the time of the live event this afternoon. Will a replay of the WebEx recording be available so we can view it later?

Hi,

I hadn't intended to record this, but I could do. So I'll try to remember (maybe someone can remind me when we're there) and see how best to share it afterwards. This will be much more of an interactive thing than me preaching on how to use AutoSuggest so I can try to address some of the questions coming up.

Regards

Paul

Olly Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
"license for AutoSuggest Creator" Oct 19, 2012

What license? I run autosuggest from Studio 2011. Is there a standalone version? Great feature, by the way.

regards,

Olly

Annelise Brincker  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
@Olly Oct 19, 2012

Yep, but you can buy Studio in the freelance version without Autosuggest and then buy it later. You then have to reinstall Studio, and then Autosuggest is active.

United Kingdom
English
The license is only for creating... Oct 19, 2012

... autosuggest dictionaries. You don't need this license to use Autosuggest at all. So even without it you use an AutoSuggest Dictionary if someone gives you one, and of course MultiTerm and AutoText are available as standard.

Regards

Paul

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Not reinstall, just restart Oct 19, 2012

Annelise Brincker wrote:

Yep, but you can buy Studio in the freelance version without Autosuggest and then buy it later. You then have to reinstall Studio, and then Autosuggest is active.

I don't think you need to reinstall. You just enter the newly purchased license code in the license manager, close Studio, start it again and voila! Autosuggest creation is not greyed out in the menu anymore.

Annelise Brincker  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
I stand corrected :) Oct 19, 2012

@Paul: Yes, of course, I did not explain myself properly.

@Farkas: Could be. I just reinstalled from the new file that was under My Account at SDL, and it worked a treat.

Yasmina Ait Ali
Canada
Local time: 13:04
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much for your Free Webinar Oct 19, 2012

I was a little bit lost, but it was useful for me. I am looking forward to having the recorded Webinar so I can have a better undestanding.

Now I have attended your Webinar, I have an other question. What is the difference between an Autosuggest dictionary and a TermBase in terms of productivity since both of them can suggest terms while translating? In my case, I have MultiTerm Extract. Why do I have to buy AutoSuggest Creator add-in since MultiTerm can do the same thing?

Thank you very much for your help.

Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Italian to English
If you did record the WebEx Oct 19, 2012

I would be interested in watching it. If you didn't, oh well, my tough luck for being out of the office for a couple of days.
Thanks in either case
Eileen

United Kingdom
English
It's not really the same thing Oct 19, 2012

Yasmina Aitali wrote:

What is the difference between an Autosuggest dictionary and a TermBase in terms of productivity since both of them can suggest terms while translating? In my case, I have MultiTerm Extract. Why do I have to buy AutoSuggest Creator add-in since MultiTerm can do the same thing?

Hi Yasmina,

As you have Extract I guess you have used it? AutoSuggest will extract the word pairs, phrase pairs, without any interaction from you at all and will return value that could take you weeks of work to achieve with MT Extract... if you managed to do this as effectively at all.

This is of course without considering what a termbase is, so you'll have things in your AutoSuggest Dictionary that you probably wouldn't have bothered creating Terms for at all ranging from small words to almost complete sentences.

If you don't have TMs large enough then MT Extract will be a good way to collect more word pairs so you can benefit more from AutoSuggest, so it does have its place.

If you like I can generate an AutoSuggest Dictionary for you from one of your TMs and you can then test the theory and see whether you can match it using MT Extract?

Regards

Paul

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How does AutoSuggest Creator work

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search