Thread poster: Mariana Solanet

Mariana Solanet  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 13:41
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 19, 2012

This is the first problem I've encountered with my upgrade to Trados 2011.
I set up a new project for US English to US Spanish and when I tried to use the spell check (Hunspell)after translating the first file (it's a website with 260 files) it just doesn't work at all: it says the language is not supported and when I tried changing it to MS Word (I have 2007 version installed), it didn't work either.
Since I installed 2011 I completed about 6 or 7 projects (Spanish to US English and vice-versa US English to Spanish (Spain) and I had no problems with the spell check.

Is this a known issue and is there a (prompt and easy to apply) solution? Would I have the same issue if I were to change the target language to Spanish (Mexico), for instance, or do I have to use from Spain? I'm thinking of opening a new project in Trados 2009, where I never had this kind of issue.
Please Trados people: I need help asap! Wasn't this supposed to be the best version of Trados ever????

Direct link Reply with quote

George Cook
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:41
French to English
+ ...
Two options Oct 19, 2012

Studio 2011 only comes with a finite number of dictionaries; you only get es-ES and es-MX as standard. The easiest way to fix this would simply be to change your target language to es-MX, which will then enable the dictionary.

Alternatively, you could add another dictionary file.
1) Go to your Trados dictionaries directory (probably something like "C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\Studio1\HunspellDictionaries" if you're on Windows 7, and find the two files called "es-MX.aff" and "es-MX.dic".
2) Copy these two files, and paste into the same directory. Then change the names to "es-US.aff" and "es-US.dic".
3) In the same directory, find the "spellcheckmanager_config.xml" file, and open it in Notepad (right click - open with).
4) Find the entry for "es-MX" - it will look something like:
<language>
<isoCode>es-MX<\isoCode>
<dict>es_MX</dict>
</language>
5) Select the whole entry, and copy it in below, then change the "MX" to "US" in both places. Save and close the file.

When you restart Trados, the spellcheck should now work on US Spanish.

Mariana Solanet  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDL should address this issue asap Oct 19, 2012

Thanks, George, that's exactly what I did last night: change the target language to Mexican Spanish and it worked fine. Still, I think US Spanish should be an option itself since it's included in the language menu.
I also tried with Suite 2009 and encountered the same issue.

You say:
Studio 2011 only comes with a finite number of dictionaries; you only get es-ES and es-MX as standard. The easiest way to fix this would simply be to change your target language to es-MX, which will then enable the dictionary.

Really? I don't think so: there are a lot of options in the menu, in fact I use SP (Argentina) as source for a lot of my translations into English, and haven't had any issues, but I wonder if it works as a target language. There is a big difference between Spanish from Spain and Argentine SP and Mexican SP.
The other issue is that Suite 2011 allows you to opt between Hunspell and MS Word dictionaries, but I tried to use this option and it didn't work, so this is major issue Trados should address immediately.

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
US Spanish Oct 19, 2012

First of all, there is no such thing as US Spanish. There is Spanish as spoken by a large variety of Spanish-speakers of different origins, either immigrants or natives for generations, and it can and does vary. In general, the Mexican version is a good choice since it represents the majority; however, in some areas (East Coast), other nationalities are more numerous.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:41
English
Updated Dictionaries and MS Spell Checker Oct 19, 2012

Hello Mariana,

We shipped Studio with a set of Hunspell Dictionaries that were complete when we first did it... probably we need to add more now. But what you may be able to do is go to the Hunslell site where they regularly add more languages : http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/dictionary

Here they currently list these:

Spanish (Argentina)
Spanish (Bolivia)
Spanish (Chili)
Spanish (Colombia)
Spanish (Costa Rica)
Spanish (Cuba)
Spanish (Dominican Republic)
Spanish (Ecuador)
Spanish (El Salvador)
Spanish (Guatemala)
Spanish (Honduras)
Spanish (Mexico)
Spanish (Nicaragua)
Spanish (Panama)
Spanish (Paraguay)
Spanish (Peru)
Spanish (Puerto Rico)
Spanish (Spain and Latin America)
Spanish (Spain)
Spanish (Uruguay)
Spanish (Venezuela)

The dictionaries are an oxt file, but if you unzip them you'll find the dic and aff files inside so you can add following the instructions George suggested but with the real thing.

On Microsoft Word... that's trickier. I just tested this for the languages you mention and I have no problem activating the MSWord spell checker. I needed the correct language pack for this to be enabled, but I presume this is a given for you and it works in Word?

Regards

Paul

Marcos Cardenas  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
Gracias Nov 11, 2014

Gracias por la información!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2011 Spell check doesn't work with US Spanish

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search