Thread poster: LouisR
LouisR
LouisR  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:45
English to French
Oct 19, 2012

Hi

I am translating a document using SDL trados 2011, sentence by sentence. And most of them contain groups of words begining by an uppercase like : "The Great Wired shoes that is blabla can fit so well."
I would to automatically put Great Wired in the right column (translated column) because uppercase words do not need translation, it is time consuming to copy paste them to the righ column.
Any idea?

thanks

Lorenzo Cordini
Lorenzo Cordini
English
Copy source to target (Ctrl+Ins) Oct 19, 2012

Hi louiss,

I would select all the segments with the uppercase text (clicking on the segment number) and then execute Translation > Copy source to target (Ctrl+Ins).

When this is done I would change the status of these segments to "translated".
To do this just keep them all selected and right-click on any of the segment numbers.

Regards,

Lorenzo

Evy Ceustermans
Evy Ceustermans  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
AutoSuggest Oct 19, 2012

Hi Louiss,

you could add the noun as an AutoText entry to use ans then use it in AutoSuggest.

Tools - Options - AutoSuggest - AutoText.

Select the correct target language and add the term.

Then make sure AutoSuggest is enabled and next time if you start typing the first letter(s) of the noun in the target column, the AutoSuggest function allows you to just click on the suggestion in stead of typing it.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
copy to target Oct 19, 2012

Evy's idea is great if you've got a few proper nouns that are repeated a lot. If there are too many to do this, how about copying all your source segments over to the target side and translate from there?

Copy all source to target (Alt+shift+INS)

Evy Ceustermans
Evy Ceustermans  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
agree Oct 19, 2012

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Evy's idea is great if you've got a few proper nouns that are repeated a lot. If there are too many to do this, how about copying all your source segments over to the target side and translate from there?

Copy all source to target (Alt+shift+INS)

Agree

LouisR
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Oct 19, 2012

Ok!
thank you very much for your answers.

Shankaran Viswanathan
Shankaran Viswanathan  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 01:15
French to English
+ ...
Insert selected text into target? Oct 20, 2012

Is there any way to quickly inserted selected text from translation results window or source text into the target? I mean easier than copy-paste?

Alt-1, Alt-2... keys are great but they insert the entire unit. Similarly, one can transfer the entire source text into the target but not just parts of it.

Vishwa
Dehradun

LouisR
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
actually Oct 22, 2012

Actually, these proper nouns are different in almost every sentence, so I really some fast way to make them auto-suggest or to copy them.

LouisR
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
anymore ideas? Oct 23, 2012

anymore ideas?

LouisR
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
emma Oct 23, 2012

Actually, Emma, is there a way to copy from source to target like ALT+SHIFT+INS but only for the capitalized words?

Another question, if I manage to extract all the proper nouns to a txt file, is it possible to copy paste them to target cells?

István Hirsch
István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
Deleting lowercase words with regex Oct 23, 2012

In Editor View of Studio, Copy all source to target, go to Edit/Replace, check „Match case” and „Use” checkboxes, select „Regular expressions” then

Find:

\b[a-z_,.-;:]+\b

Replace with:
_

(note the spaces marked with underscore) to delete words that do not begin with a capital letter.
If your target language contains special characters compared to the standard English alphabet, you may have to insert them between the squa
... See more
In Editor View of Studio, Copy all source to target, go to Edit/Replace, check „Match case” and „Use” checkboxes, select „Regular expressions” then

Find:

Replace with:
_

(note the spaces marked with underscore) to delete words that do not begin with a capital letter.
If your target language contains special characters compared to the standard English alphabet, you may have to insert them between the square brackets, following „a-z” (like this: a-zőűí etc.). If there are other characters to delete (?, ! etc.) put them in the square brackets or delete them in a second step, replacing them with nothing (after unchecking „Use’).
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:45
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Old question Oct 23, 2012

This is an old question that has been requested from SDL for a long time.

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/216272-sdl_studio_2009_how_to_customize_placeables.html... See more

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/216272-sdl_studio_2009_how_to_customize_placeables.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/205025-untranslateable_names_in_sdl_studio_2009.html

I haven't tried to find out whether Variables can yet be defined with a regex, which would do it.

[Edited at 2012-10-23 18:30 GMT]
Collapse

LouisR
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
good idea Oct 24, 2012

István Hirsch wrote:

Find:

Replace with:
_

If your target language contains special characters compared to the standard English alphabet, you may have to insert them between the square brackets, following „a-z” (like this: a-zőűí etc.). If there are other characters to delete (?, ! etc.) put them in the square brackets or delete them in a second step, replacing them with nothing (after unchecking „Use’).

thanks Istvan, good idea.

I improved it for my case:
find : \b[a-z_]+\b[\s,.\'\-;:]
replace:

but it does not replace in the whole target only segment by segment (very inconvenient!!)....it seems like trados does not like when I remove the "dot" at the end of the segment...do you know how to work around this?

also this does not remove the first word of the sentence....do you know how to add this to your reg exp search and replace?

thanks

[Edited at 2012-10-24 09:37 GMT]

LouisR
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
old, but solved? Oct 24, 2012

John Fossey wrote:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/216272-sdl_studio_2009_how_to_customize_placeables.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/205025-untranslateable_names_in_sdl_studio_2009.html

I haven't tried to find out whether Variables can yet be defined with a regex, which would do it.

[Edited at 2012-10-23 18:30 GMT]

thanks John, the first thread has no solution.
I went over the second link and finally I am not sure what is the solution that comes out....CAN variables be defined with a regex??

thank you

István Hirsch
István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
Try this modified workaround Oct 24, 2012

Try this modified workaround (check „Match case” and „Use”, select „Regular expressions”):

Find (1):
\b[a-z0-9_]+\b
Replace with:
_

to delete words beginning with lowercase, as well as numbers.

Find (2):
[\W]+
Replace with:
_
to delete non-word characters.

I do not know if the words to keep can or cannot include the first word of a target segment. If you want to delete the first word of each
... See more
Try this modified workaround (check „Match case” and „Use”, select „Regular expressions”):

Find (1):
\b[a-z0-9_]+\b
Replace with:
_

to delete words beginning with lowercase, as well as numbers.

Find (2):
[\W]+
Replace with:
_
to delete non-word characters.

I do not know if the words to keep can or cannot include the first word of a target segment. If you want to delete the first word of each segment, before Find (1) and Find (2), uncheck „Match case” and do this:

Find(0):
^[a-z]+\b
Replace with:
_

When you have checked by clicking on „Find” that it really finds you want, go back to the beginning of the target text and click on „Replace All” to perform deleting in each target segment in a single step.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011: automatically copy paste proper nouns

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »